Fruit tree / seed / plant swap thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fruit tree / seed / plant swap thread

I'v just started dabbling in grafting and air layering for mainly fruit trees. Figured it might be neat to have a thread where we could post what we have, or could be getting soon depending on the time of the year.

We could post what we have or want. It could be in the form of:

-Trees themselves
    -Rooted cuttings
    -Air layerings
    -Seeds
    -Sprouted trees
    -Scions (8-12" section of a limb about the thickness of a pencil/sharpie with buds on it)

Just a partial list of things trees I have:

-Red mulberry (currently rooting cuttings and air layering a few)
    -White mulberry (currently rooting cuttings and air layering a few)
    -Loquat (unknown variety) (I have rooted cuttings before and grown from seed)
    -Pear (I think Kieffer) (I have air layered this successfully)
    -Apple (Einshimer, Pink Lady, and unknown from seed from New Mexico that hasn't fruited yet) (Just got these in the ground this year)
    -Peach (Sam Houston, plus several from seed so unknown variety...hardy and sweet but not very large or bright orange flesh...good for rootstock) (I have a handful germinating in fridge at the moment)
    -Jujubes (Li & Lang) (I have actually air layered Lang believe it or not)
    -Japanese persimmon (Fuyu) (just got this year)
    -Native/wild American persimmon (tons in pasture)
    -Plum (one similar to methley and chickasaw) (grown from suckers)
    -Pomegranite (Wonderful) (grew this from a cutting)
    -Lime (Key/Mexican) (got this year)
    -Citrus (Trifoliate rootstock, and sour orange rootstock) (have many seedling about 4-6" tall for rootstock or if you like sour oranges)
    -Kumquat (unknown from seed)
    -Figs (brown turkey) (have done very well with cuttings)
    -Grapes (edible-catawba and mars put in this year, wild - mustang)
    -Had blueberries, but the soil is too alkaline here and they died
    -Passion fruit (maypop)

Things I have been keeping an eye out for:

-satsuma, orange, grapefuit or cold hardy variety scions to graft onto my rootstock
    -pineapple guava (not really a guava)
    -white sapote
    -service berry / june berry
    -capulin cherry
    -barbados cherry (acerola) and cherry of the rio grand
    -crab apple
    -different asian persimmons (hachiya, tanenasha, saijo, etc.)
    -different berry bushes (goji, etc.)
    -muscadine cuttings from female vine
    -Che (can be grafted onto Bois d Arc believe it or not)
    -PawPaw
    -Jaboticaba
    -Mayhaw
    -Nectarine
    -Other plum varieties (mexican, or other)
    -Agarita
    -Texas persimmon (small black and found in the Llano area).

I also wouldn't mind doing air layering or cuttings or grafting as part of the trades, if possible. I'm in Grimes County.

Anyhow, I know some of this is a long shot, but I figured it'd be neat to get a thread going to see if there's any interest.

Thanks y'all,
    Jeremy

Gonna give this one bump...

Comment

You've been very busy.

I think I have all the Texas Persimmon you could want. I also have Everbearing fig tree's I plan to trim/cut limbs before the first hard freeze and plant them. Everbearing are my favorite but I'm new to this. I have 3 types of plum trees also but they're not bearing fruit yet.

Comment

I'll keep your contact in mind for future trades, I'm all out of trade goods this year, my mister went out on my grow bed. I don't know why that stuff always happens during hot dry spells, but I lost a few hundred new plants. All I've got right now is 4-5 goji cuttings in a pot.

Comment

I've had good luck digging and moving persimmon and agarita.

Comment

I would like to find something that does good in the sandy loam at my place east of Centerville. I have the opposite of a green thumb...whatever that is. If y'all have any suggestions or want to sell anything, let me know.

Comment

I have Texas persimmon and American persimmon seeds. From this year's crop. Not sure what needs to be done before planting. With some help I can share seeds. Also some bigger persimmon seed unknown name.

Comment

I dont have anything to trade but i wanted to let you know of nursery in Rosenberg that carries a lot of the ones you are looking for like goji and pineapple guava.

Comment

RiverRat - I have hunted a place out in LLano with them, but didn't have the opportunity to grab a few before I left. With persimmon trees, you have to make sure you grab a male and female. Was there anything I had on my list that you'd be interested in?

Tex4k, I may have a lead on a goji berry, but the offer stands if you see something I have.

Stoof, same thing for you on the persimmon and agarita.

Chew...one word...jujube. They are super hardy and actually prefer dry weather. Sandy loam is good for them. Once established....they live pretty much maintenance free (minus mowing suckers from the grafted rootstock on occasion. Id recommend a tree of the "Li" and "Lang" variety. Depending on location, plums can do well in that type of soil. FYI, deer love jujubes...and raccoons...and squirrels. Plain old pears are hard to beat too. Figs are good if in shade and next to moisture. Eave of an old shed or something. Theres a reason there are pear tree and fig trees still around old abandon homesites.

cwbow - if you send post a pic I can help identify. Might be an asian variety if purchased. Seeds normally just take a little stratification in a damp paper towel in a ziplock in the fridge to sprout. Then just plant in potting soil in spring in a pot to "harden" them. Then transfer the next year to the ground.

Jason, thanks for the link. I may need to give them a call next time I am in that direction.

Shipping/transport for the trades is something we will need to figure out, but I know lots of folks head to College Station for Bownanza, or travel, so we can figure out what works best. Sometimes mail is an easy route for some things. We can play it by ear.

Nice to see a little interest.

-Jeremy

Comment

I'll also add chile pequin peppers to the list of things I have. They are growing good where I am at. They are wild for some folks....but if you want some and don't have them growing, it'd be easy to grab a few of the peppers with the seeds or dig up some small plants.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy360 View Post
                      I'll also add chile pequin peppers to the list of things I have. They are growing good where I am at. They are wild for some folks....but if you want some and don't have them growing, it'd be easy to grab a few of the peppers with the seeds or dig up some small plants.
                      Have you had any luck planting the seeds? I thought chile pequin seed had to passed through a bird to germinate?

Comment

The acids in a birds stomach help. Not 100% necessary. Have read where people soak in acidic solution.

Comment

If you do Facebook check out Texas rare fruit growers group. There are always people willing to trade on there. All I have is citrus. I do have 2 varieties that are semi hard to come by but they are too young for scion wood now and I'm in Harris County which is in a quarantine zone so it would not be able to leave Harris, Fort bend and Montgomery county I think.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy360 View Post
                            RiverRat - I have hunted a place out in LLano with them, but didn't have the opportunity to grab a few before I left. With persimmon trees, you have to make sure you grab a male and female. Was there anything I had on my list that you'd be interested in?

Tex4k, I may have a lead on a goji berry, but the offer stands if you see something I have.

Stoof, same thing for you on the persimmon and agarita.

Chew...one word...jujube. They are super hardy and actually prefer dry weather. Sandy loam is good for them. Once established....they live pretty much maintenance free (minus mowing suckers from the grafted rootstock on occasion. Id recommend a tree of the "Li" and "Lang" variety. Depending on location, plums can do well in that type of soil. FYI, deer love jujubes...and raccoons...and squirrels. Plain old pears are hard to beat too. Figs are good if in shade and next to moisture. Eave of an old shed or something. Theres a reason there are pear tree and fig trees still around old abandon homesites.

cwbow - if you send post a pic I can help identify. Might be an asian variety if purchased. Seeds normally just take a little stratification in a damp paper towel in a ziplock in the fridge to sprout. Then just plant in potting soil in spring in a pot to "harden" them. Then transfer the next year to the ground.

Jason, thanks for the link. I may need to give them a call next time I am in that direction.

Shipping/transport for the trades is something we will need to figure out, but I know lots of folks head to College Station for Bownanza, or travel, so we can figure out what works best. Sometimes mail is an easy route for some things. We can play it by ear.

Nice to see a little interest.

-Jeremy
                            I could use a few Jujube trees. Or mulberry. If you're ever near Bend let me know.

Comment

Citrus is all messed up w quarantines. Keep me posted when it gets older. Will look up rare fruit growers on Facebook.

Comment

Working...
                              X