No announcement yet.

TRAPPING 2014/2015 season thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally made my way back out into the shop to snap a few pictures of trap tuning for various DP's and legholds that I use.

First up is a Freedom Brand FB1 that I use and so far have not found a DP that even comes close for kids or anyone for that matter to set and use, simple operation, just squeeze the plate and "click" its set, or step on it and set it, push pull trigger.

I tuned this trap for a short trigger set, you will notice in the picture the gap between the dog and plate, it only has to move 1/32 before it is triggered. To achieve this is simple, pair of pliers and bend the dog outwards till you get it set to your liking. Picture is not that great..

Next up is the Duke DP (I only have 2). I bought these for a test and was not really happy with them, Diablo, z-traps, Freedom brand FB2's and quite a few others are all in the same boat and have a very close design. The come factory with a pull only trigger (some state require it) so the first thing I did was modify them for a push/pull trigger. First was to notch the dog(Dremel) and then remove the trigger and bend it sideways to allow for a push or pull, then reinstall it with a small bolt with a pair of nuts and washers to keep the trigger centered.

This next tune/mod can be done to most of the leghold style of traps and some even come factory with a "night latched" dog.

First was to set the pan tension (amount of weight required to trigger the trap) to my liking, I prefer mine to be on the heavier side to negate it being set off by non target animals and also give the target animal enough trust to commit his full weight thus getting a full pad catch in the trap. Then I moved on to installing the new Paws-I-Trip dogs and removing the old flat style factory dogs. You will notice they are factory night latched with a 1/32 notch on the end, when setting the trap you will hear a "click" as the pan settles onto the notch.

Once installed you will need to tune it by slightly bending the part of the trap frame were the dog attaches bending it outward or inward to make sure that your pan sets FLAT...

I ordered these about 3/16's to long because they were on clearance 50% off instead of ordering the correct size..LOL.. You can see that I also added a bend into the dog its self to eat some distance also..

But in the end you have a trap that is night latched with a pan that is setting flat..

Comment

You going to do any trapping out at Jason's? I know we have a good bit of coons around.

Comment

Originally posted by texas bound View Post
        You going to do any trapping out at Jason's? I know we have a good bit of coons around.
        Yes Sir, if they(Jason and the other lease north of his house that had me out) want me to come back it will be after deer season is over so there is not any issues with hunting and me trapping. We took quite a few coons and coyotes out of the area for them last year..

Comment

The place north of town I dont believe you hit. I hunt up there and have a coon issue right now.

Comment

The place north of town I dont believe you hit. I hunt up there and have a coon issue right now.
            Nope sure didn't brother, we had hit the place north of his house pretty hard and had just started on his place and the place south of his house a few miles when all of the ice and snow showed up, it put a damper on the plans.

Comment

Jason told me you were doing pretty good out there. I have 3 coon cuffs coming tomorrow so hopefully I can put a dent in them for now.

Comment

Jason told me you were doing pretty good out there. I have 3 coon cuffs coming tomorrow so hopefully I can put a dent in them for now.
                Brother, with all the information you have been provided with you will do just fine and have a lot of fun along the way..

Any questions feel free to give me a shout brother.

Comment

Dale what brand and size is that trap in the last pic you posted...The pan looks high on that trap.

hopefully I can get some drags made today and maybe a frame for a bobcat cage trap...

Comment

Originally posted by yanta61 View Post
                    Dale what brand and size is that trap in the last pic you posted...The pan looks high on that trap.

hopefully I can get some drags made today and maybe a frame for a bobcat cage trap...
                    Those are Sleepycreek No4's , and you would be correct. The pan does set higher than the frame ends.

Comment

Wish you were closer to me. I would hire you to come put the fear of God in the varmints! LOL!

Comment

Does anyone trap up near Sam houston NF I wanna start up there this year

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
                          Wish you were closer to me. I would hire you to come put the fear of God in the varmints! LOL!
                          Yeap, Anna/Coleman area would be a bit of a drive I think I need to buy a Prius, lol!!!

We need to start a Trappers Location thread so that lease members, land owners can look and see who is the closest trapper to them and were they will travel too, kinda like the tracking dog tread.
                          Last edited by Tuffbroadhead; 07-03-2014, 07:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuffbroadhead View Post
                            Yeap, Anna/Coleman area would be a bit of a drive I think I need to buy a Prius, lol!!!

We need to start a Trappers Location thread so that lease members, land owners can look and see who is the closest trapper to them and were they will travel too, kinda like the tracking dog tread.
                            That would be neat. I'd like to do a little 'ride-along' with a trapper sometime and try to learn a bit

Comment

10 down probably need to build another 10

Comment

I like your drags Yanta. But man I would have a hard time burying them down here lol

Comment

Working...
                                X