Nilgai Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nilgai Question

So I kill a big bull on the King Ranch, what now? Do I process like a cow and take it to a processor or quarter and do myself? If a processor, do I transport it somehow to a closer butcher or leave it in the area and make a 2nd trip to pick up the meat? I process all my hogs and deer myself. Thinking ahead to January.

Lastly, Kayote Outfitters or King Ranch?
    Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I processed mine at home. Keep all the steaks as they will be tasty. I did mine like I do my deer. Might check tenderness on some of the steaks to see if you need to make cutlets out of them. Just a matter of if you got the time or prefer to spend money.

Comment

I hunted nilgai at King Ranch and was successful. I took mine to a processor and had it done. The meat was tougher than deer to me and less "gamey" than a deer. If I could go back, I would have done it myself and took more time preparing the way I like. I think I would have enjoyed that animal on my table more if I had done that.

Also, that hunt proved to be the real thing and physically challenging and exhausting. Especially when stalking them on the sand dunes out there, you might, you might not. Although, I bet some people get there nilgai in the first 30 minutes of hunting, mine took the entire hunt and the sun was setting on the last day. You will see a lot of nilgai at King Ranch but they don't stick around when they see you. You have about 3 seconds to get on em and make a shot. If bow hunting you will probably be on a tall tripod hunting next to a water source. Good luck!
      Last edited by C-dubyah; 10-01-2018, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Never hunted with kayote I hunted on the king though and I'd highly recommend them. As far as the meat I got all steaks and hamburger, and I got the steaks cut 2 inches thick. I would have preferred to do it myself but didn't have the time

Comment

Originally posted by C-dubyah View Post
          I hunted Nilgai at King Ranch and was successful. I took mine to a processor and had it done. The meat was tougher than deer to me and less "gamey" than a deer. If I could go back, I would have done it myself and took more time preparing the way I like. I think I would have enjoyed that animal on my table more if I had done that.
          Exactly this. My wife nilgai was much tougher than I thought it would be.

Comment

I killed one on the King Ranch a couple months ago. I didn't have much time to process it at home, so I took it to a processor. I had it all back in less than a week

Comment

They can be very tough. Do it yourself and let it age in the cooler for 7 to 10 days.

Comment

Mine was a meat hunt so I basically shot a heifer for the tenderness vs an old cow. There was three standing there, old cow, last years calf and this years. If you do yourself slice off some steaks and cook them up to check them.

Comment

It's manageable to do yourself. A bull is about the weight of 4 deer to put into perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by Outback View Post

Lastly, Kayote Outfitters or King Ranch?
                    Thanks

Do you want to hunt during the day or night, I think most of Kayote is all night time hunting. He has a great success rate and probably cheaper that the king ranch.

Comment

Originally posted by yanta61 View Post
                      Do you want to hunt during the day or night, I think most of Kayote is all night time hunting. He has a great success rate and probably cheaper that the king ranch.
                      Only 100 less

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

King Ranch is the best deal for Nilgai....I have had all of mine processed by someone...

Comment

I may try it myself. Given that they may be a little tough, I wonder if I could somehow age the meat. Need to do some googling how to do it. In any case, I will have quite a bit of ground meat!

Comment

King ranch all the way and let Hibler do the processing. After you pull the trigger you won’t have to lift a finger. They come down weekly with an 18 wheeler and get pick up the animals. Also they make good nilgai tamales.

Comment

If your worried about it being tough tenderize the steaks and ground the rest for h b and sausage. Do it yourself.

Comment

Working...
                              X