Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 09-17-2018, 04:14 PM   #101
beararcher_84
Six Point

Hunt In: Lake Whitney

Is there a GPS list for the trailhead/parking areas for all the units in Whitney posted somewhere on their website? Just looking for other units to maybe check out during the season instead of just the one unit that I know where is at. Thanks
beararcher_84 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2018, 08:49 PM   #102
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

There is a map on their hunting web sight with detailed unit maps also.

https://whitneylakehunting.tamu.edu/
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2018, 08:56 PM   #103
beararcher_84
Six Point

Ive seen those. Was just looking more for GPS coordinates to take me, turn by turn and to the X. Especially with unmarked or poorly marked county roads

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 09-17-2018, 08:59 PM   #104
Razorback01
Pope & Young

Hunt In: where my Elite takes me!

Bear, you just need to get out there with the maps and your GPS, turn by turn until you find what you are looking for. Nobody is going to give up the "X". The difficulty in hunting public land is what makes it rewarding and refreshing, if anyone could do it- all would do it. Just my two-cents.
Razorback01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-17-2018, 09:39 PM   #105
beararcher_84
Six Point

Not asking for X, someones hunting spot. Just X of the parking area/trailhead. I know better than to ask for someone hunting location

Old 09-17-2018, 09:45 PM   #106
beararcher_84
Six Point

Trying to expand my options of units to hunt instead of the same area every time is all. I didnt know if the COE had GPS coordinates to the parking areas listed and maybe I wasnt looking in the right spot or what is all. Sorry Im my question qas taken as wanting people's hunting spots, not what I was asking at all

Old 09-17-2018, 10:16 PM   #107
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

I've no known GPS points/data by Whiteny/Aquilla ACE to the parking areas. I've always known this project to offer maps only, to the public. And the maps change with the passage of time and resource offerings. Entrances to a unit change as well per maps. What may be here this year may be gone the next. Then back again the year after. So make sure your maps are current. Sometimes I've seen conflicting maps too, as to what area, or part of, is open/available, in the same year.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:24 PM   #108
beararcher_84
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Grown View Post
I've no known GPS points/data by Whiteny/Aquilla ACE to the parking areas. I've always known this project to offer maps only, to the public. And the maps change with the passage of time and resource offerings. Entrances to a unit change as well per maps. What may be here this year may be gone the next. Then back again the year after. So make sure your maps are current. Sometimes I've seen conflicting maps too, as to what area, or part of, is open/available, in the same year.
I could definitely see how that could change in time for sure. I remember the first year I hunted out there was 4 years ago when the lake was so full all the parks where closed and flooded

Old 09-18-2018, 06:19 PM   #109
justindfw
Ten Point

Heck years ago you could drive almost to the water on b2. People abused that so they fenced it off
justindfw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-18-2018, 08:42 PM   #110
Razorback01
Pope & Young

Wasn't it the same way on B4 and H4 around Nolan?
Old 09-18-2018, 08:46 PM   #111
beararcher_84
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by justindfw View Post
Heck years ago you could drive almost to the water on b2. People abused that so they fenced it off
Think thats the 1 I was near when I went fishing this spring. Ya drive down a white rock road for several miles, pass Arnold Stone?

Old 09-18-2018, 09:11 PM   #112
Razorback01
Pope & Young

No, sounds like you went to the Nolan river ramp on the loop, H3/H4 area. The B zones are other side of the lake.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:22 PM   #113
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by justindfw View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorback01 View Post
Wasn't it the same way on B4 and H4 around Nolan?

I don't know where you got almost Justin. Cause I did drive all the way to the water all the time. There wasn't a place on the lake at one time, that you couldn't.

It was nice to drive up to the water's edge, unload all my dequees and gear, then go park the truck under or behind some trees or bushes. Walk back to the dequees and gear, set up, and hunt right there. That old railroad tressel in what is now B2 and B3 was used to drive truck and trailer to the river where you could then launch a jonboat. There were cuts and ruts all over the place on those two. If you didn't have 4WD, you'd better hope it was dry in there.

The rest of the units were no different back then.

I remember when they put that concrete crossing in, in your pics of the hogs. That was part of a county road at one time. It ran all the way back around to Mesquite Creek. The original crossing got washed out. It was almost beside it, just a little south. But didn't have concrete. There was a gravel pit after you crossed the creek before all that went on. And another pit on the south side of Mesquite Creek. There is an old right-of-way that local proerty owners keep blocked off to reduce public access so they can have that part of the corps property to them selves. It's near the mouth of MC and runs between two houses. Otherwise, you got to go to Lakeside access to get in there (unless you know where the other access is ).

Last edited by Texas Grown; 09-18-2018 at 09:30 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:24 PM   #114
beararcher_84
Six Point

Ah ok, gotcha...didnt quite go to the boat ramp,pulled off in a area that looked like ya could park there just a little before

Last edited by beararcher_84; 09-18-2018 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:39 PM   #115
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by beararcher_84 View Post
Ah ok, gotcha...didnt quite go to the boat ramp,pulled off in a area that looked like ya could park there just a little before

BA, that would be H4 you were at.

Just a FYI, The boat ramp used to be the devideing line between H3 and H4. Now, H4 extends further westward of the boat ramp (according to the most recent maps ).
Old 09-18-2018, 09:45 PM   #116
beararcher_84
Six Point

Quote:
BA, that would be H4 you were at.

Just a FYI, The boat ramp used to be the devideing line between H3 and H4. Now, H4 extends further westward of the boat ramp (according to the most recent maps ).
Is H4 the one thats really crowded and the Sherriff tows vehicals and walks up on people hunting to ask for their hunting license?

Old 09-18-2018, 09:54 PM   #117
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

BA, that is one that I've never heard of. Someone must be pull-n your leg. But if your parked on the side of the road where it's really narrow, it's possible you could get towed. There are two parking areas right there near the entrance that you should be OK to park at. One is a little more walk to the gate than the other, which is right in front of it. Just don't block any gates as ACE will write a ticket and leave on your vehicle if you do.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:57 PM   #118
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

As for crowded, I've never seen any of the units crowded, NOT!

They all gonna be crowded for the first few weeks no matter where you go.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:09 PM   #119
beararcher_84
Six Point

Hummm...
Someone was telling me one of the units "along the river" was very crowded and that the sheriff was tow happy, so ya had to be careful where you park and that he checked everyones licenses

Old 09-18-2018, 10:13 PM   #120
beararcher_84
Six Point

Don't mind that they check, have my permit, licenses, hunters ed card on me. Just thought it was odd for a sheriff asking for them and walking up on people

Old 09-19-2018, 01:38 PM   #121
justindfw
Ten Point

I've had one stop me at an entrance. All he did was ask if I had a permit and hunter orange. Then we just talked about hunting for a few before he took off.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:39 PM   #122
justindfw
Ten Point

I've also run into park rangers and game wardens in the woods
Old 09-19-2018, 02:56 PM   #123
Razorback01
Pope & Young

I've been checked by the GW plenty of times, always a good experience, never seen a COE Ranger other than in their vehicle.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:07 PM   #124
beararcher_84
Six Point

Probably then someone talking out their hump then lol

Old 09-19-2018, 03:31 PM   #125
Ispdnxs
Four Point

Hunt In: Various Public Lands

TG, whatís been going on with the water levels? Any changes over the last couple weeks? Been stuck in the city for the last few weeks, going through withdrawals from not hiking. See any upstream releases changing anything?
Ispdnxs is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 03:35 PM   #126
Ispdnxs
Four Point

Quote:
Probably then someone talking out their hump then lol

Personally I am happy with the Sheriff patrols. Made a post when it happened, but I got gas taken out of my truck earlier this year. Seen a lot of crazy stuff out there over the years. Never know who or what you may run into.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:00 PM   #127
beararcher_84
Six Point

Im fine with the sheriff being out and about taking a active roll in keeping everyone safe and offten work together with game wardens on poaching and other illegal activities that sometimes go on out there. Ive heard in years past that trucks have gotten broken into, stuff stolen, trucks even vandalized, dead bodys being found and pot grows being found. So dont mind at all that they are there being proactive Just thought it was odd for a sheriff to be asking and checking hunting licenses

Old 09-19-2018, 04:22 PM   #128
jgould1
Nubbin' Buck

I am not LEO, but my hunting buddy is... he said it is not all that common, but he was asked to check as well.

Quote:
Im fine with the sheriff being out and about taking a active roll in keeping everyone safe and offten work together with game wardens on poaching and other illegal activities that sometimes go on out there. Ive heard in years past that trucks have gotten broken into, stuff stolen, trucks even vandalized, dead bodys being found and pot grows being found. So dont mind at all that they are there being proactive Just thought it was odd for a sheriff to be asking and checking hunting licenses

jgould1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-19-2018, 04:23 PM   #129
beararcher_84
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgould1 View Post
I am not LEO, but my hunting buddy is... he said it is not all that common, but he was asked to check as well.
Understandable

Old 09-19-2018, 08:01 PM   #130
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ispdnxs View Post
TG, whatís been going on with the water levels? Any changes over the last couple weeks? Been stuck in the city for the last few weeks, going through withdrawals from not hiking. See any upstream releases changing anything?

Despite the rain we've all gotten, water levels are still pretty low on most all Texas lakes. There are only a hand full of projects releasing water. And that is at a minimal. PK dose have a minimal release of 113cfs at the moment. But I don't think that is going to do much for Grandbury or Whitney. And since people use most projects for drinking water, lowering will continue untill the right conditions occur (below read).

Forecast calls for some good rains over the weekend. We really need some hard down pours to get a good run-off so the lakes will fill. Slow steady rains will not do it. Slow and steady only allows for the ground to absorb it. The best run-off occurs after a long drought when the ground is really dry and hard. Throw a heavy downpour on top of that and you get good runoffs. But the trade out is flooding in certain areas pending environment/terrain/conditions for some areas. We can still get some lake fillers even with the current ground conditions. Just has to be the right amounts of rain at one time.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:12 PM   #131
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

After looking at the scheduled weather forecast, looks like we'll get some good rains into next week. Thur-Fri highs may only be in the 70s! Yeah!

Lets just hope it comes a gully washer this weekend! And over the next few weeks. Conditions are perfect for a great repeat of the 2009 duck season!

Edit: I might even have to host another TBH Group Duck Hunt.

Last edited by Texas Grown; 09-19-2018 at 08:16 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:37 PM   #132
jnd1959
Four Point

Quote:
After looking at the scheduled weather forecast, looks like we'll get some good rains into next week. Thur-Fri highs may only be in the 70s! Yeah!

Lets just hope it comes a gully washer this weekend! And over the next few weeks. Conditions are perfect for a great repeat of the 2009 duck season!

Edit: I might even have to host another TBH Group Duck Hunt.
I'm ready. Moving from my home lake to another this year. Looking forward to a great duck season!
jnd1959 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 06:51 PM   #133
Ispdnxs
Four Point

Quote:
Despite the rain we've all gotten, water levels are still pretty low on most all Texas lakes. There are only a hand full of projects releasing water. And that is at a minimal. PK dose have a minimal release of 113cfs at the moment. But I don't think that is going to do much for Grandbury or Whitney. And since people use most projects for drinking water, lowering will continue untill the right conditions occur (below read).

Forecast calls for some good rains over the weekend. We really need some hard down pours to get a good run-off so the lakes will fill. Slow steady rains will not do it. Slow and steady only allows for the ground to absorb it. The best run-off occurs after a long drought when the ground is really dry and hard. Throw a heavy downpour on top of that and you get good runoffs. But the trade out is flooding in certain areas pending environment/terrain/conditions for some areas. We can still get some lake fillers even with the current ground conditions. Just has to be the right amounts of rain at one time.
Thanks for the update. Should be interesting to see what drops this weekend.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:04 PM   #134
D u s t y
Ten Point

Hunt In: Any were i can

Looks like we might get wet next weekend as well
D u s t y is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-20-2018, 08:18 PM   #135
beararcher_84
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by D u s t y View Post
Looks like we might get wet next weekend as well
Yeeeeeha was looking at that...gonna put a damper on my 3 day weekend camping pland for sure if it holds true and rains

Old 09-20-2018, 11:42 PM   #136
D u s t y
Ten Point

Hunt In: Any were i can

Iíll be out Saturday all day so Iíll just take my rain gear with me. I hope itís just a small shower or two.
D u s t y is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2018, 09:37 AM   #137
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Looks like the Trinity River system has gotten a fair bit of rain. Joe Pool came up 3 feet over night.

Brazos River system has gotten some, but nothing compared to the Trinity. Except Georgetown. It came up 5+ feet.

W lake has come up 4".
Grandbury has come up 3".
Aquilla broke even.

We will have to see how it looks after today and Sunday, come Monday or Tuesday, to get a better picture of how much run-off we get/got.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:48 AM   #138
Storm
Pope & Young

6 days and a wakeup before the season starts! Im ready to start the season but my goal is to get my youngest son his first animal down.so I'm not going to be hunting opening weekend.best of luck to all of you on Saturday morning.
Storm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2018, 11:29 AM   #139
Buckshot-73
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Whitney and Glen Rose

Mike, I got 4.3791 inches in 24 hrs.

Storm, you gonna be at Plowman the 5-7 next month?
Buckshot-73 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2018, 12:56 PM   #140
Razorback01
Pope & Young

Gotta be a joke made outta that post. Good luck you guys.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:57 PM   #141
beararcher_84
Six Point

Quote:
Hehe lol

Old 09-22-2018, 01:35 PM   #142
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot-73 View Post

Yah, Lake B was cresting at 3 this morning. But it's already back to normal, mostly. Swampy back there.
Old 09-22-2018, 01:40 PM   #143
Storm
Pope & Young

Quote:

Im going to try to , but for opening weekend I will be at the camp site as you cross the river.
Storm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2018, 02:48 PM   #144
Razorback01
Pope & Young

And gals. I'll be up scouting at the H.

Last edited by Razorback01; 09-22-2018 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Just cause
Old 09-22-2018, 03:05 PM   #145
erikm1981
Ten Point

Dont go out without the thermacell. The dang sqitos are something awful and looks like they will be for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
erikm1981 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2018, 03:36 PM   #146
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikm1981 View Post
Dont go out without the thermacell. The dang sqitos are something awful and looks like they will be for a while.

Yep, should have another hatch over the next 10 days to two weeks, and then some.
Old 09-22-2018, 04:39 PM   #147
Buckshot-73
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Whitney and Glen Rose

Quote:

I seenít what you did there...

Buckshot-73 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-22-2018, 04:55 PM   #148
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Quote:
I seenít what you did there...

Whatcha laughing about Buckshot? You only got 4.3791 inches . But 24 hours is a pretty long time.
Old 09-22-2018, 07:11 PM   #149
Razorback01
Pope & Young

Old 09-22-2018, 08:44 PM   #150
beararcher_84
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikm1981 View Post

Bought a refill for mine today