No announcement yet.

Martial Arts for Kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think at that young age doing something like gymnastics is more beneficial for coordination etc. I got my boys in a boy version of gymnastics called ninja school. It's less about form and more about the obstacle courses and things that they love to do. They earn headbands. Some kicks and punches but it focuses on coordination. Might be worth looking into.

Comment

Originally posted by rjtkdplus View Post
      What part of Austin are you in? I've been teaching Traditional Taekwondo in South Austin on Brodie lane since 1992. My Academy also offers Relson Gracie BJJ for kids and adults. If you're not South, I know several quality schools around town.

The style they learn is far less important than the quality of the instructors, IMO.
      I'm up north almost to Pflugerville. I'm just looking for him to have fun in a safe environment. He's 3. I told my wife he was too young, but evidently, schools start kids at that age.

Originally posted by McClain View Post
      Interesting! Don't come across too many folks familiar with Isshin-Ryu. I studied Isshin-Ryu all through college and grad school under sensei Ed Johnson. My advice would be to wait until he is older so that he will grasp more of the mental and philosophical aspects along with the physical, but it will also depend on the instructor.
      I started under sensei Ken Richardson and met sensei Johnson. I don't remember much about it. I remember how to make the fist. The 1st kata had snap kicks and front punches, and one kata required a breathing technique and you were kicked and punched while performing.

Comment

Originally posted by rjtkdplus View Post
        What part of Austin are you in? I've been teaching Traditional Taekwondo in South Austin on Brodie lane since 1992. My Academy also offers Relson Gracie BJJ for kids and adults. If you're not South, I know several quality schools around town.

The style they learn is far less important than the quality of the instructors, IMO.
        Are you in the shopping center right there at Shipley's?

Comment

My son started Taekwondo around 6 months ago at 4. Not sure how much self defense and fighting skills he's actually learned from it, but three weeks in he knew both my wife and my full names address and phone numbers. I was impressed with the focus on discipline with the youngsters. They act like little soldiers in there.

Comment

Our 4 y/o daughter started Karate a few weeks ago. She loves it as do we. The instructors make the exercises fun for them and the kids enjoy it.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoof View Post
              Are you in the shopping center right there at Shipley's?
              Yes, That's me.

Comment

[QUOTE=niceg3s;12427525]I'm up north almost to Pflugerville. I'm just looking for him to have fun in a safe environment. He's 3. I told my wife he was too young, but evidently, schools start kids at that age.

Rise Martial Arts in Pflugerville is a great place. I think they start kids at 4 years old.

Comment

[quote=rjtkdplus;12427717]
                  Originally posted by niceg3s View Post
                  I'm up north almost to Pflugerville. I'm just looking for him to have fun in a safe environment. He's 3. I told my wife he was too young, but evidently, schools start kids at that age.

Rise Martial Arts in Pflugerville is a great place. I think they start kids at 4 years old.
                  Thanks. I requested some information from them.

Comment

My 2 older boys and myself are neck deep into BJJ now. Absolutely love it!

My youngest just turned 5. May let him jump in this year as well. I'm pretty bias to BJJ but as mentioned above, regardless of style, find a school with good people.

Comment

My boys started Tae Kwon Do at 5 and 7. They both reached their 1st degree black belt before I got hurt and we took a break. We need to get back into it.

Comment

Working...
                      X