No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
    Surprised at all the Remington recommendations. I’d go with tikka or ruger American in their respective price points
    +1 will also add a Thompson Center rifle to the mix. They make some darn accurate rifles right out of the box.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I also have a win featherweight and if thats the direction youre looking you wont be disappointed. I think its the best action (besides the original) and looks/feels great. Id go that direction and be really proud of the purchase.

Comment

Originally posted by nacohunter View Post
        Remington SPS Tactical 16” (Google Remington 85538) with 2.5-10x Vortex Viper HS. Entire setup will run you about $1000. Some complain about the Hogue stock but I kinda like mine. Shooting 168 grain Hornady BTHP it can keep the entire magazine in a 8” pie plate at 500 yards with the help of a Caldwell lead sled. Or......just buy the Larue rifle kit for about $500 more and you will have the most awesome rifle at your lease.
        That's a bold claim Cotton! [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Comment

Agreed. It may have been a slight stretch on having the most awesome rifle on the lease!

Comment

Have a HOWA 1500 for sale in 308 and is 1-10 twist for those heavy bullets

Comment

If I were going to buy another 308 I would buy a Winchester or Browning Xbolt.

Comment

Sig 716 Patrol. Most accurate rifle I've ever shot. Love the round just wished it was cheaper to shoot.

Comment

I love my x-bolt medallion with vortex optics. Cant beat the lifetime warranty on vortex, and the browning shoots great. If you want to spend the money you cant go wrong, although I did replace the trigger spring but that was only 20$ from mcarbo.

Comment

I have a 308 I love. It's is pretty much custom, but didn't come with the custom price tag. I went online to E.R Shaw. They are a well know barrel maker, who has made factory barrels for a number of manufactures. Most people don't know, but they also make full "custom" rifles. Their guns start at around $800 and go up depending on what you add to it. I got mine in lefty, and it's the best shooting gun I own. US made in Bridgeville PA. May be an option for you.

Comment

Love the caliber, from fat and heavy to light and easy rounds off the shelf. Lots of good rifles mentioned, hard to go wrong with any of them. Buy several types of ammo, see what yours likes and stock up. Aim Small!

Comment

Ok so here is some comparisons of different price level rifles with pics of rifles and groups at distance all shooting factory ammo. The Camo spray paint job is a $300 Remington 783 with a $380 Sightron Stac 3-16x42 chambered in 308 and has been glass bedded Federal 175gr SMK shooting .8 MOA at 500yds 1.9 MOA at 1000yds. The rifle laying across the recliners is a $750 Rem 700 LR in 7mm mag with a $520 Vortex intrepid 4.5-22x50 and I bedded the recoil lug in it Remington 150gr AccuTip shooting .9 MOA at 500yds. The one on the tailgate of the pickup is a $1100 Savage 12 LRP chambered in 6.5 creedmoor topped with a $900 Sightron SIII LR 8-32x56 and I bedded the recoil lug and swapped out the bolt head on it Hornady 140gr ELDM shootin .4 moa at 500yds, .8 MOA at 1200 yds and 1.8 MOA at 1760yds(mile).
                        Attached Files

Comment

I don't have a pic of the rifle but here is some groups out of a Savage 12 FV cabelas exclusive chambered in 308 that my BIL got for CHEAP on sale with a rebate ended up being $280 or so and a $140 Primary Arms 4-16X44 scope. Shooting the best with 180gr Federal Fusion .65 MOA at 500 yds on the plate and the paper target was testing different factory loads at 100yds before I bedded the lug in it.
                          Attached Files

Comment

If you reload, I suggest a getting a Remington 700 SPS Tactical with a 1 in 10" twist. It's capable of shooting clover leafs with a 178gr Hornady ELDX bullet over Varget.

If you want to further improve your results, replace the stock and drop in a Timney trigger.

Comment

I've got a Rem 700 SPS Tactical in .308 sitting in a fully bedded Manners MCS-T2 with a Vortex scope. I picked up the stock from the Manners ready to ship section for about half the cost of a new one. I plan on dropping in a new trigger soon. So far i'm all in for around 2K. Don't have any pictures of groups, but it shoots like a dream.

Comment

I’ve been contemplating on letting my Win 70 CRF 308 Classic Featherweight go with 10rnds shot shot through it. It’s a 95-96 model with the red stock pad. I’d give it a 95% for a small smudge on the stock and about an 1/8” scratch right beside the rear scope base. It’s in excellent shape. Scope rings and scope don’t go with it unless you just have to have it, but the price doesn’t reflect the scope rings and scope. I’ve mounted it, just never shot it and honestly don’t know what to ask for it.
                                I bought it from a buddy that is a Win 70 snob and he bought as new old stock from gunbroker (since he’s purchased several new old stock rifles) because of the 308/Featherweight configuration which he says was hard to find.

Any ideas on where to start the price? All I know is I’ll be taking a loss on it.
                                Last edited by lglidewell; 02-06-2019, 01:33 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X