• Show
Clear All

25-06 or 308 would be my choice.

Comment

30.06 gets my vote.

Comment

NOT a 22-250!!!!

Comment

While we are naming calibers ill chime in too. 221 fireball, 17-250, 6mm-250, 6br, 6xc, 7 mag, 50 bmg, 408 cheytac, 375 cheytac, 338 lapua, 410 slug

Comment

3006 or 300 with 180gr NP. You will sleep better knowing you brought plenty of gun and premium bullets. One less thing to worry about in life.

I shoot everything with a 300 Wby
            Last edited by sharkhunter; 05-10-2014, 09:37 PM.

Comment

The northern deer are larger for sure. They die just like those in Texas however. I would recommend that you take something in the neigherhood of a 270 or 308 in order to make sure that you have enough gun to reach out and touch them. The distance that you will be shooting will make some difference in your choice, but I know that a 270 up to a 3006 will get the job done. Good luck and shoot straight.

Comment

My 300 win mag launching 180 grain accubonds blew through some 250+ pound mule deer with ease out to 275 yards or so. The longer shots i took with a different rifle shooting 185 bergers. The 300 and the accubond will certainly serve the purpose very well. But there is a ton of good options.

Comment

My votes on a 300WSM or a 300 Win Mag. I hunt with them both but love my WSM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slewfoot View Post
                    I would stick with 30-06, 308, or 300 mag. Don't be sorry you were under gunned.
                    I have never seen a deer be too dead but pick something you can shoot accurately. I still believe bullet selection is much more important than cartridge choice. Just my .02........

Comment

Originally posted by brrdnk View Post
                      3006 would be my go too up in those woods.
                      Can't go wrong with a 3006'''''''

Comment

Mostly good advice above. Several Elk have been killed with 243s and 30-30s. If I were buying a rifle I'd go with the 30-06 because it is probably the most versatile cal. out there and ammo is generally easy to find. Also to paraphrase a statement I once read, "it will kill a moose or a mouse just as dead".

JC

Comment

7 mag gets my vote. My Dad shot one up in Canada last year that weighed over 300lbs. 160 grain Barnes triple shock thru the shoulders. DRT in the snow. No tracking job required.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                            I shot a 325 lb. Manitoba buck with a .50 muzzleloader. Took out both lungs and he still ran a couple hundred yards while bulldozing trees. Tough suckers.

What a BEAST. That thing is massive Bobby.

Comment

You definitely need to be packin when you try to kill a big white tail.

Comment

.50 cal BMG

Comment

Working...
                                X