Injector Failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Injector Failure

I'm a chief engineer on an offshore supply vessel assisting the rigs and platforms in the GOM. (blessed to still be working). We have four 16 cylinder twin turbo charged diesel engines. This morning we saw the #3 cylinder running 150 degrees Celsius cooler than other cylinders. Took off the cylinder cover and found our injector spring broke in 3 places not allowing the injector to fire. Also the top of our injector where the rocker arm plunges down was shattered. Engine has 12,000 hours.
    Attached Files

That would be a fun job. I like getting to tool around at work from time to time, whether changing pump valves out or alternators.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

That’s a big injector!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Call Coastal Casting Service in Houston. If they can't help you, bet they can tell you who to call.

Comment

What’s normal operating temp ?

Comment

I deal with chief engineers all the time, dealt with one this morning. I deliver and pump lube oil to the ships all along the coast.

Comment

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
              What’s normal operating temp ?
              Standing by with engine at 25% power, normal cylinder temps are 450 F. Underway with engines at 80% normal temps are 950 F to 1000 F.

Comment

Originally posted by db@100 View Post
                Call Coastal Casting Service in Houston. If they can't help you, bet they can tell you who to call.
                Fortunately we have spare injectors onboard. Swapped it out and got the injector timing completed this afternoon. Were all good now!

Comment

whats the spring rate.?
                  and are those titanium springs.?

Comment

Working...
                  X