Right to work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right to work

I know Texas is a right to work state but where I'm from is getting ready to vote on it again. I was in the painters and tapers union for about 12 years until I started my own non union shop a couple years ago. I had no problem with the union when I was in I just got tired of commuting to the saint Louis area every day which was about an hour and 20 minute drive. The guys I have working now top out at about $25 an hr a union journeyman painter makes $33 an hr and it's close to the same for all the trades up here carpenter, laborers ,plumbers etc. What is the average pay for these trades in Texas? I'm not sure how I really feel about right to work and I'm concerned about a lot of people pensions thay I know including my dad and two uncles who are retiring in the next couple of years.

Welcome to TEXASbowhunter...don't try changing chit!

Since you opened the door, right to work is just that.....the right to making your own decisions that are best for you and your family. I've never been the type to rely upon others to keep my employment, plan for my future, or get me a raise. Many in Texas have the same mentality.

Comment

The part about pensions scares me Local 513 Operating Engineers owes me a pension I sure would hate to see it go away. As far as wages in Texas here in Dallas commercial construction carpenters and painters $20 an hour about average from what I see.

Comment

Last I heard, scale for a Journeyman out of IBEW in Beaumont is about $29/hr.

Comment

personal responsibility... unions don't allow that..

Comment

I was just in your fine state and noticed all the signs for the right to work vote coming up.

One benefit I see from a yes vote would be decreased cost for goods and services since companies won't be forced to pay higher rates for those, and thusly passing the higher cost off to customers.

Example: you are building a house. The builder can use union labor at $33 an hour and increase the cost per foot of your house by $1. Same builder can use non union labor and get the same quality job for $25 an hour and save you $2 per foot. That is a $3 per foot swing in your favor which could mean thousands of dollars saved just in paint. Now apply that savings to all other unionized building services and the cost of your new house has been drastically reduced.

I understand the uncertainty of pensions, but it seems really unfair to require companies to hold millions of dollars on hand to pay for pensions, when they could use that money to build their businesses as they see fit. And pass on the higher profits to employees through increased salaries.

The unions will do everything they can to fight this and will probably win again because they have the ear of so many people. And simple tactics like saying it will affect someone's money or retirement will get folks fired up.

Your state will be fine if right to work passes, and all the former union folks will be fine also. But it will be rough at first until people realize they are going to be ok.

Comment

A yes vote on Right to Work will not eliminate the union.

A Right To Work law guarantees that no person can be compelled, as a condition of employment, to join or not to join, nor to pay dues to a labor union.

Although I do not have any experience working in a union environment my guess is very few employees "opt out" of joining the union as I would think other employees would make it tough on them. I also believe an employee that chooses not to join the union is probably paid the same as those that are union.

Like I said, I don't have any personal experience with unions and would like to hear from others that do. If a person gets hired at a unionized company and they choose not to join the union are they paid the same as those that join the union? How much are union dues.

Comment

I've worked for both union and non union airlines as an aircraft mechanic in both in Right to work and non right to work states.
                Once the union is established, right to work doesn't mean much from an employee perspective.
                Unions are oppressive and thuggish to anyone who chooses not to join. Especially at contract negotiation time.
                I wasn't cut out for it and left a better paying union gig for a non union gig.

Comment

Houston wages for commercial Finishers is right around $20.00. Not sure on painters as down here us drywall guys do the finishing, but I would venture to say they get paid around the same amount. Crazy how wages for workers has gone up over $6.00 Hr for us in the last ten years. They should all make more money, but unfortunately the quality and productivity has fallen dramatically in the last ten to 15 years as well.

Comment

I've worked around union hands before and worked circles around them. To me being in the union just killed their work ethic. I would never join a union personally. They seem to be more about collection of dues than anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by aggieman08 View Post
                      Welcome to TEXASbowhunter...don't try changing chit!

Since you opened the door, right to work is just that.....the right to making your own decisions that are best for you and your family. I've never been the type to rely upon others to keep my employment, plan for my future, or get me a raise. Many in Texas have the same mentality.
                      Is this guy serious ? I'm not trying to change anything and if you would have read my post I own a NON union painting company. I was simply trying to see the difference in pay scale from a state that is right to work. a union journeys pay and benefits package is $56 I'm paying my guys 25 and pay half of there health insurance. I'm not trying to stir the pot just looking for info.

Comment

Originally posted by denimdeerslayer View Post
                        I've worked around union hands before and worked circles around them. To me being in the union just killed their work ethic. I would never join a union personally. They seem to be more about collection of dues than anything else.

I agree with you on some on some trades I worked around commercial carpenters who clear almost 40 per hr they really never hit it hard. But on the residential side the framers and painters and drywall guys had to bust *** to make time on houses. It's $2240 per week per man for one union journeyman painter and. Now that I'm non union I have two guys plus a little for that price. I'm not against right to work but I feel there's plenty work and has been plenty of work for both for years just the way it is. And people who have paid into there pension wouldn't have to worry about it being there.

Comment

Originally posted by Dandy123 View Post
                          Is this guy serious ? I'm not trying to change anything and if you would have read my post I own a NON union painting company. I was simply trying to see the difference in pay scale from a state that is right to work. a union journeys pay and benefits package is $56 I'm paying my guys 25 and pay half of there health insurance. I'm not trying to stir the pot just looking for info.
                          It was a joke.

Comment

the union folks will be along shortly....it's always the same ones.

"Rah, rah unions.....blah, blah....safety and security and higher wages for workers."

They never bring up productivity or accountability.

Comment

Originally posted by Dandy123 View Post
                              I agree with you on some on some trades I worked around commercial carpenters who clear almost 40 per hr they really never hit it hard. But on the residential side the framers and painters and drywall guys had to bust *** to make time on houses. It's $2240 per week per man for one union journeyman painter and. Now that I'm non union I have two guys plus a little for that price. I'm not against right to work but I feel there's plenty work and has been plenty of work for both for years just the way it is. And people who have paid into there pension wouldn't have to worry about it being there.
                              If they have paid into a pension, I can't imagine it not being there.

Comment

Working...
                              X