No announcement yet.

Hunting Pistols

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was searching for a pistol to hunt with a awhile back. I was going down the 10mm Glock route, but I stumbled upon a .44 Mag Super Red Hawk with a 9.5" barrel. I topped it off with a 3-8x33mm Simmons pistol scope. The accuracy is superb. Quarter-sized groups at 100 yards shooting off sand bags.

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I've been handgun hunting the past three or four years. I'm a big fan of the contender platform and hunt with a 7mm TCU out to 50 yards and 30-30 otherwise. I finally took a doe this past season just over 100 yards. I'm going to try out my new Glock 40 Mos in 10mm this year.

Comment

If you get the encore it opens up your caliber choice immensely over the contender. In fact you can get them in any caliber you can think of. I have now the 454 casull ( killed elk with, out to 100 yards so far) and the 7mm bench rest ( only targets so far) would be good for deer and antelope. A buddy of mine shot a 1 inch( three shot ) group at a hundred yards with it several times. I can't do that well but can do 2 inch pretty reg. Recoil is very mild on the 7mm, pretty wild on the casull. But your possibilities are end less.

Comment

A XP-100, Contender or a Encore, would be your best choices for a hunting. All three are extremely accurate. The XP-100, does not have interchangeable barrels, where the two T/C guns do. The Contender is smaller lighter, but the Encore will handle more powerful rounds than a Contender.

I have hunted with revolvers and Contenders for many years and have been carrying a 10mm for many years. The hand gun rounds, are good for close range, I like them for close range encounters with hogs. The trajectory on all of those rounds is more than most people would expect. You need to practice a lot with such a gun, at many ranges to get a good idea of where the gun will hit at various ranges. They have the power to kill deer sized game out well past 100 yards, but you may have to hold over 3' to 5', to hit the target, if it's 150 yards out. A Contender in a 7X30 Waters is a very good all around hand gun hunting caliber, but then so is a 30-30. I have done most of my hang gun hunting with a 30-30 Contender with 14" barrel. With the right hand loads, it will drop deer very dead on the spot out to 350 yards. You have to learn that you are pushing the bullet out the barrel quite a bit slower than it would out of a full length rifle barrel. So you need to find bullets that expand well at lower velocities. Hand loading your ammo is almost a must, but there are many guys that don't. Also chronographing you loads, so you know what your loads are doing is a very good idea.

What I have learned over the years, is a bullet that is designed to expand rapidly at common rifle velocities, will typically penetrate much deeper at hang gun velocities. That is good for penetration, but the bullet does not do near as much damage as it was designed to do. It is best to do some research, once you figure out what type of velocities your gun will achieve with a given bullet weight, then look for bullets that will expand at that velocity and lower. I shot many deer at ranges of 150 to 250 yards, with a 30-30 and dropped the instantly, where they stood, with heart shots. I had some good loads that worked very well, expanded very well at the velocities that the gun would produce. My load was 30.5 gr. of IMR 3031, with a 135 gr. Sierra Single Shot Pistol Bullet. Out of the 14" Contender barrel, it would achieve around 2100 fps, going by memory, it has been a long time, since I shot that combo. I still have a Contender in 30-30. But I have a 18" barrel carbine now. I am loading 37 gr. of Leverevolution and a 125 gr. Nosler Ballistic tip. That load produces 2740 fps., it kills deer just as good as the old load for the 14" barrel. My 7 1/2" barreled Super Blackhawk, would spit 180 gr. hollow points out the muzzle at 1776 fps, almost dead on that number every shot. I switched to H110, when I switched to 180 gr. bullets. I used 240 gr. hollow points for years, before I switched to the 180 gr. loads. I don't remember what my 240 gr. loads were moving out at. I do know I was using IMR 4227, that was some dirty burning powder. It would leave large yellow chunks all over the gun, mainly in the cylinders.

I have hunted and shot critters out to around 100 yards with my Super Blackhawk, but I can tell you with iron sights, it's not easy, but if you practice enough and your gun and load are accurate, it can be done. I worked my Super Blackhawk trigger over, I had it very slick and crisp. As good as it was, I have shot many S&Ws that still made my Ruger feel like a cheap crude POS. I would take a worked over S&W any day over any form of Ruger, a stock S&W, is much better than a Ruger, but with some mild work, they are amazing. If you choose a revolver, I would stick to 50 yard shots at the longest range, more like 30 to 40 yard shots would be better. With a auto, I would cut the range down a bit more. Yes, you can have a auto built that shoots very well, but most people want to walk into Academy and buy a $400 to $500 gun and go. Not many guns in that range, I would have much faith in at ranges beyond 25 yards, mainly because of accuracy and then ballistics second. I bought my 10mm EEA Witness for something like $480, that gun I would not have a problem using it out to 40 to 50 yards, with the ballistics of the 10 mm, really it is probably fine out to 70 yards or so. Not really sure how quickly the velocity and energy falls off, with a 180 gr. 10mm. Accuracy wise, I would stick to 30 to 40 yards max.

I have hunted with Three Contenders with 30-30 barrels, a couple of times I had 223 barrels. It was just hard to convince myself to use the 223 for anything other than coyotes or smaller game at the time. The 223 had a lot less recoil and noise, it seemed like a pea shooter compared to the 30-30. The 30-30 is not bad at all, but the 223, seemed more like a 22 LR. I did not do much with it, but I did use the 223 barrels I had a few times.

I did a lot of hunting with a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 Mag., a 10 1/2" barreled Super Blackhawk, then a few 357 Mags., a Freedom Arms 454 Casull, that was one extremely nice gun. Then I have taken two of my 10mms hunting, but have not shot much with those.

If I had the money, to buy every gun I wanted to own and hunt with. I would have The EEA Witness in 10mm that I have, then a worked over Smith & Wesson, with a 8" 357 barrel, then a identical gun in 44 Mag. Then a 7 1/2" barreled Freedom Arms 454 Casull. Those would be my pistol caliber guns. The for the single shot guns, I would have a XP-100 in 6.5 Lapua, then maybe another in 22 Nosler. Then I would have to have a Contender in 7X30 Waters and one in 30-30, not sure if I would get 14" or 16" barrels for the Contenders. The idea of a XP-100 in a 6.5 Lapua, is one I have really wanted to try. I have wanted a XP-100 for a long time, but my Contenders have done so well, it is hard to convince myself I really need to spend the money on a nice XP-100, but some of them are so beautiful and the shoot extremely good.

Hang gun hunting is not rifle hunting, but many guys try to make it as close as possible. Honestly a good single shot hand gun, is capable of accuracy, way beyond what most shooters can shoot. I used to consistently get 3/8" one hole groups at 100 yards, with my old Contenders in 30-30.

Comment

Careful. Contenders are very addicting!

I own a few Contenders. But no Encores. And several barrels in differing calibers/cartridges in 10", 14", and 23". I also love big bore wheel guns. As for hunting, it depends on what the hunt calls for and what I'm trying to accomplish. But do love pig hunting with a single shot at night and a flash light.

Edit: I might add, there are some folks who collect Contender items. And a few 1st generations of Contender frames. As well as development of barrels and barrel lugs over the years. Always good to know what your getting and what it's truly worth.
                Last edited by Texas Grown; 08-19-2018, 03:39 PM.

Comment

I have a 44mag. Yet to kill anything with it, other than a rattlesnake. I plan on it soon though.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

Contender 14" 3030
                    Encore 15 " 7-08
                    Revolver 7.5" 44

Those are all very good deer/hog rounds with mild recoil and easy to locate ammo. Figure how far you want tot shoot and pick the appropriate caliber

Comment

TC Super 14 in 35 Rem with a 1.5-4 x 20 early model Burris sitting on top. I've loaded from 95gr pills up to 250gr Spitzers for that barrel, just for fun over the years.

Click image for larger version

Name:	11-06-05_0909.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	15.9 KB
ID:	24550607

Click image for larger version

Name:	11-06-05_0915.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	24550608

Comment

I'm a big fan of the 357 wheel guns.. also got an axis with the chrome model 19 a few years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by rosco11 View Post
                          I'm a big fan of the 357 wheel guns.. also got an axis with the chrome model 19 a few years ago.
                          Model 19's are nickel not chrome. If it is a factory finish gun.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                            Model 19's are nickel not chrome. If it is a factory finish gun.
                            Yup! You're right.. it's nickel.. brain fart on my part. It's a fantastic pistol and i love carrying it at the ranch

Comment

I've put several hogs down with my ole Colt king cobra 357 mag. Haven't got a deer yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X