Dads and Motorcycles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dads and Motorcycles

I'm looking for feedback from dads who either used to ride a motorcycle or currently ride.

I've always wanted a bike and have always told my FIL when he is ready to sell his bike, I'd buy it. It's a beautiful 97 softail custom. Gorgeous bike. Well, the time has come. He told me about 8 months he'll be selling the bike before he moves. I've been working on my wife since, she is not a fan of the idea at all however, we've come to an agreement that there will be a lot of training before I'm on the road, safety gear, no alcohol and riding and a few other things but, she has given me the thumbs up.

Her biggest fear is and has been death, followed by being crippled. Fair points.

My quandary at this point is should I be riding a bike. We have six kids, all are 9 and under. My wife stays at home. Life ins. could be increased a little. But, now that there are no barriers I honestly feel guilty about the decision. I feel I'm being irresponsible.

My intent for getting a bike is not to commute but for the weekends. I'd like to go on a morning ride, or during nap time take off for an hour. Maybe bigger group rides in the future.

I know this is an individual decision but I'd still like feedback from others. TIA.

Motorcycles are for young adults with no kids and retirees. JMO.

Comment

Go for it. I stay around low traffic roads and just enjoy. I’m not a fan of riding in town anyway there is nothing relaxing or fun about it

Comment

If for no other reason get it to keep you away from your wife during naptime before it turns into 7 kids under age 10!

Comment

Originally posted by The Crippler View Post
          That's just BS. Im 54 have 3 kids and ride every chance i get. I can feel the stress melt away when i hope on the bike. Take a rider safety course and you'll be fine. I've ridden most of my adult life. It's not something i want to do but have to, much like hunting. Most non riders just don't get it

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
            If for no other reason get it to keep you away from your wife during naptime before it turns into 7 kids under age 10!
            HA! I'm fixed. We adopted the three youngest! We're done making, fostering or adopting! 6 is a lot!

Comment

Originally posted by The Crippler View Post
              Agree..... I had a couple before my kids were born. They are 12, 11, and 6. I will not get another one until my youngest graduates high school. I want my kids to have a dad for a little while. I’m not saying you’ll get in a wreck, but I am saying that other people do not look for motorcycles all the time.

Comment

Don’t ride in midland or Odessa you should be fine! I used to ride, it was great on long trips but I felt like I was leaving the rest of the family out on the fun. So, we elected to do more family oriented stuff.

Comment

You have 6 kids under the age of 9?!?! Holy cow man, that’s crazy. You are a lot braver than I am. I’ve got 2 and they are enough of a handful not to make me want a third.

Oh, I got nothing on the bike idea. My father in law has a Harley and rides, he really enjoys it.

Comment

Sounds like a bad decision, mainly because you have never ridden before. Ive raced motocross for a long time and even now I dont bother to ride on the road. If you had a bit more experience, it would be a different story. Learning to ride on the road with 6 kids sounds like a bad idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Hagen View Post
                      That's just BS. Im 54 have 3 kids and ride every chance i get. I can feel the stress melt away when i hope on the bike. Take a rider safety course and you'll be fine. I've ridden most of my adult life. It's not something i want to do but have to, much like hunting. Most non riders just don't get it
                      Easy pal, nobody is judging you, JMO means "just my opinion".

Comment

You'll get a lot of feedback from guys with children that ride and haven't had an accident that tell you it's perfectly fine.
                        You won't hear much from the guys with kids that ride, whose kids have to visit them at the cemetary....those guys are not dependable for advice.
                        You might hear from someone that has kids and chose to ride who now has to **** in a bag, talks with his eyelids or eats through a crazy-straw....that's the guy you should listen to.

It is a personal choice. Don't have us help you make stupid decisions.

I joke, mostly. If you ride enough, you will crash eventually. If you walk away, awesome. If you end up dead, your kids are gonna be devastated.

Comment

I wanted a bike, then I watched a young mom and three small kids visit their husband/father in ICU for 34 days while he was in a vegetative state. Brain stem injury from a relatively minor crash and he had a helmet on. Pretty hard to watch kids try to talk to their dad and wonder if he hears them. He hit a little loose gravel going about 40 mph, then hit a curb with his head and that was it. If I had not witnessed the gut wrenching aftermath I'm certain I would be riding and enjoying myself today, but I just can't. Not with kids at home. I'm sure I'm the minority.

Comment

I had a cruiser bike around 2002. Laid it down a few times, on gravel, again on an iced bridge. But for the most part I felt pretty safe riding around DFW, which had some great roads and good climate. I now live in the pit stain of the state, Houston. And honestly you couldnt pay me to ride a bike here, solely because of the other drivers here. You can be as careful as all get up, but it dont matter if the other guy isnt.

With that being said, we are all going to die at some point. Dont want to look back and think about all those things you wanted to do, but didnt.

Comment

As Bush 41 said "Die young as old as you can". That being said, Trying to do that on a scooter might get you the first part sooner than you want.

Comment

Working...
                              X