DIY New Mexico Gila Elk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY New Mexico Gila Elk

As the saying goes, time flies when your having fun. I just returned from hunting Pronghorn in Colorado with Brett C last week and it is already time to get all my stuff together and ready for elk. This past summer I was doing my research on GoHunt and found a unit that intrigued me. It is a mostly roadless unit with tons of public land and holds some BIG Bulls. After going over the draw odds and success rates I decided this was the unit I wanted to apply for. I applied in the DIY guide draw and I was stoked when I found out I drew a few months back. The DIY guide draw is basically just paying to almost double your odds of drawing in New Mexico. To keep things legal I must meet a “guide” in the unit twice for at least 5 minutes each meeting. Most likely we will meet the day before the hunt and maybe a few days into the hunt. That said the outfitter did not provide anything and this is a completely DIY hunt.

After drawing the tag I met a New Mexico Local on bowsite who also had the same tag and who also was planning on hunting solo. We talked a little and got idea of how competent of a hunter each other was and then we decided we would be better off hunting together. James has hunted this unit 4 times now and has killed 3 bulls. The season opens September 15 and runs to the 24th. With the dark moon and the amount of water the unit has gotten this year there should be some big bulls and they should be going crazy. James and I are going to meet up on September 14th to get our base camp set up and to go out for an evening of scouting before the season opens. We are planning on Truck camping however we will have to ability to spike out for 2-3 days at a time if we need.

I am starting this thread early because I know how much guys like gear and planning for trips. Heck I think the planning aspect of a hunt is almost as fun as the hunt its self. I will be posting my gear list, food and anything else I can think of that goes into making this trip happen.

Good luck JT! Definitely following along when I'm in service and not elk hunting myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have actually talked to a few people I know who have hunted this unit. Here area couple of phone scope pics one of my buddies took last season.

Comment

Good luck

Comment

Good luck on your hunt! How much did you have to pay your "guide" for the 2 meetings?

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
            Good luck on your hunt! How much did you have to pay your "guide" for the 2 meetings?

The way it works is you sign a contract with the outfitter and they give you their outfitter number to put on your tag application. If you do not draw your tag you do not owe them a penny. If you do draw your tag you pay them $1200.00 The tag itself was $820 or something like that.

The area I am hunting a landowner tag would cost $7000+ so at $2000 I'm still getting the tag for MUCH cheaper than if I didn't draw a tag. I want to say my odds of drawing went from 8-9% to 17-18% by taking the guide draw route.

Comment

So you entered the guided draw and found the minimum requirements to be legal right? Cause I've never heard of a guided diy draw in New Mexico lol

Comment

Good luck. Those are nice bulls in the pics.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
                  So you entered the guided draw and found the minimum requirements to be legal right? Cause I've never heard of a guided diy draw in New Mexico lol

The outfitters actually have it set up for the min legal requirements if you choose to go that route. It's a easy $1200 in their pocket. Most outfitters offer this package.

Comment

Good luck JT !!

Comment

Best of luck with the hunt. Hopefully you see many >350 bulls.

Comment

Looking forward to following along. It appears I will be sitting this year out.

Good luck!

Comment

Yeah, it sucks NRs have to spend that much extra just to have a shot at a few of the tags on federal land, but I'm glad you got one. Good luck!

Comment

Good luck, can't wait to follow along!

Comment

Just went in the back yard and set up my tent. I had never pitched it with the bug nest and I also wanted to make sure that my air bed was going to fit good. This thing will be like a one man palace. It is a my trail co 4 man tipi. I got it new when they were running a huge sale for like $350. It can be used as floorless or with the nest. I will be using the nest since we are truck camping.

This is what it looks like with the rain fly attached

Comment

Working...
                              X