The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by coonazz View Post
    But without an arm & a leg - How do you plan on hunting that elk?

it wasn't too bad, thankfully!

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
      I hear you on the snickers bar at the end of a long day. They are pretty nice after a long day of hiking up and down a canyon all day. Another question for inquiring minds, how many trips in and out did it take to get your bull completely off the mountain. Did you leave all your gear up there and then get it on the last trip? or did you haul it out first and then start getting serious and hauling out a bunch of meat at a time?
      Would have taken four trips if i had not called in a packer with horses and mules. For $350 it was worth not having another 27 miles of packing (3 more trips).

Comment

Thanks for the replies I was figuring it would take around 4 trips (one per quarter) but wanted to see what the guys that have done said. I will have to remember the mule packer for a later date I think that would be worth 350 to not have to haul a 120 lb pack four different trips.

Comment

Wow, there is a lot of good info in this thread. I am starting to get all my stuff gathered up for these mountain type hunts, but I did not see where anybody posted up what they carry for food? I saw where people mentioned bringing around 2000 calories in a gallon bag but not what was in the bag exactly? So if any of you guys could list what yall carry up the mountain to eat that would be great.
          First I caution you to really think about what you are going to eat. Without having been it's hard to gauge it and it's different for everyone. Nate Simmons wrote and article for Elk Hunter Magazine on food for a backcountry Elk hunt. He had a statement that really rang true....he basically said
          it's hard to eat 2000 calories in the high country and hard not to eat more than 3000 calories at home. Too much food means extra weight.

I've tried allot of the different things out there.

Oatmeal in the morning----not worth the effort IMO
          Peanut butter, bacon and honey tortillia or bagel----not as good as it sounds
          Power Bars----agree with 3d....I can't find any I don't just choke down
          Jerky---good but takes a lot of water to digest

The thing I have found that I really like and has more dense calories than you think is homemade trail mix. Peanuts, Cashews, Sesame Seeds, Raisins, Cranberries, Cherries & Pineapples. You can add dried Banana as well but I don't like it. Stick in ziplocs...do not vaccum or you will squish the fruit.

You can get 600+ Calories per sandwich baggie full (2 per day) and then eat a Mt House at night. I also take an extra Mountain House for every other day to eat at lunch.

Comment

I agree with the homemade trail mix, its not very heavy or bulky and is good solid calories. Also don't underestimate how much water you will need in the mountains. I live in deep east texas and I drink as much maybe more water hunting in the back country as I do working out in the yard on a summer day.

Comment

I won't lie and say when I'm hunting in the mountains I find it more enjoyable to stay in town and get a better night's sleep and good cooked meals. You get back later and get up earlier, but sometimes you just want a steak, a cold one and a comfy bed.

Comment

I tend to pack each day in its own 1 gallon zip lock. It makes it easy to grab a single bag and go for the day.
                Breakfast
                2 packs of oatmeal (Instant) with dehydrated fruit/berries.
                Starbucks VIA coffee

AM Snack
                Either a Cliff Bar, MetRx Big 100 or home maid trail mix.

Lunch
                P/B Honey and bacon sandwich or tuna sandwich. Mix them up so not the same everyday.

Afternoon snack
                Either a Cliff bar , MetRx Big 100 or home maid trail mix.

Dinner
                Mountain House meal

For the snacks I only pack 2 of the 3 items for each day. Never the same exact combo. I also include and extra VIA coffee for the morning break. Some days it is really nice to have a coffee at break or lunch. I also include high quality multi-vitamins and other supplements. When you are working your body this hard, you need to replenish. I also drink over 100 oz of water a day with out thinking about it. I drink 100 oz of water everyday in my normal day to day. Hydration is a major thing to think about at altitude.

Just think that food weight comes in about 1.25 - 1.5 lbs a day. I have been working on getting it below the 1.25 lb mark and keeping enough calories.

Glenn

Comment

Thanks for all of the replies guys, when I went hunting up at meredith this past october I brought store bought trail mix and snickers for lunch and snacks while out hunting, and then ate 2 ham and cheese sandwiches for breakfast and one for supper. I am currently in the gear gathering stages, I have
                  GPS
                  Binos
                  Bow/arrows/rifle
                  Pack (badlands 4500 it is comfortable under but thinking about upgrading to kifaru longhunter lighter and more capacity)
                  Boots
                  Socks smart wool/silk liners
                  pants
                  jacket
                  base layers
                  phone
                  safety kit/firestarter kit
                  knives
                  I was carrying on average 1 gallon of water for a day hike (what would yall recommend if you were going to stay up there for say 5 days?

Need to acquire (any recommendations yall have are greatly appreciated)
                  Tent (looking at 3 season but would a 4 season be better if I got the chance to go on a late season hunt?)
                  Sleeping bag
                  Sleep pad
                  camp stove
                  water purifier
                  trekking poles
                  plastic water containers
                  one steel water container

Any thing else you guys can think of adding to the list?

Comment

oops double post. Also forgot to add I have extra battery kit for GPS and have headlamp, and extra batteries.

Comment

Tent- there are a lot of good ones that are light weight. I would suggest a two person tent so you can get your gear out of the weather. I will be using a Mountain Hardware Direkt 2. It is a four season as I am planning some late season hunts as well.

Sleeping bag - for September in Colorado I use a 20 degree bag. This year I will be using a Western Mountaineering down bag. Pack real small and right at 16 oz weight.

Sleeping pad - This is one you will get a bunch of different answers on. I have an air pad NEO AIR that is nice and light. Slept really good on it last year.

Stove - I use the Jet Boil SOL. does well for heating water and really quick.

Water purifier - Sawyer in line. this way just dip and go. Has the connections to do gravity feed filtration. Get some of the platapus bags to filter into for camp water. The weight about 1 oz per bag.

I do not use trekking poles, so no help there. As far as packs go there are a bunch of good ones out there. They all fit different. I have gone through a few and found one I really like. The Stone Glacier. I have it loaded with about 80 #'s of sand right now for training. In the summer time I will add some weight to it. I have had 125#'s in it and it carries the weight really well. You need to think about how much extra clothing your taking. Everything adds up and weight get heavy quick. If you want I will dig out my packing list for you.

Glenn
                      Last edited by G Posik; 01-22-2013, 04:25 PM. Reason: remember model of sleeping pad

Comment

I hear you on the snickers bar at the end of a long day. They are pretty nice after a long day of hiking up and down a canyon all day. Another question for inquiring minds, how many trips in and out did it take to get your bull completely off the mountain. Did you leave all your gear up there and then get it on the last trip? or did you haul it out first and then start getting serious and hauling out a bunch of meat at a time?

It took six trips to get my elk out, there were two of us and both made three trips. Probably could have done it in five maybe. Weighed it latter deboned hams were 71 pound loads including empty pack weight, front shoulders and neck meat were 66 each, and loins and trimmings were 45, and head was 60. First trip with loins carried all the gear out so was actually was a 70 pound trip also.

Comment

Need to acquire (any recommendations yall have are greatly appreciated)
                          Tent (looking at 3 season but would a 4 season be better if I got the chance to go on a late season hunt?)
                          Sleeping bag
                          Sleep pad
                          camp stove
                          water purifier
                          trekking poles
                          plastic water containers
                          one steel water container

Any thing else you guys can think of adding to the list?
                          I used about 3 liters of water per day while elk hunting.

Tent- depends on where you are camping and your goals. Budget will factor in as well. You can use a lightweight tarp and a bivy sack, or just a lightweight tent, or a bigger shelter.
                          I had a GoLite SL5 tipi and it was too much luxury and weight at just over 3 lbs, but offered plenty of room for two guys and their gear.
                          I am choosing to downsize and go with something of less weight.
                          Currently looking at Tarptent Notch shelter 26 oz, Six Moons Designs Oasis shelter 13 oz, or a Kifaru Super Tarp with annex 26 oz.
                          Easton has some newer tents out that are lighter weight than years previous as well.

Sleeping bag- plenty of options out there unless you're a big guy like me. I've been using a Big Agnes Encampment 15 degree long (3 lbs 9 oz.) Looking to upgrade to a Montbell SS Down hugger 30 degree (1 lb 7 oz) and use a liner if needed.

Sleep pad- I've been using the Big Agnes Insulated Air Core 24 oz, going to upgrade to the Big Agnes Q core UL -16 oz.

camp stove- jetboil zip
                          water purifier - tablets or Katadyn Hiker Pro
                          trekking poles - Black Diamond flick loc

plastic water containers- the platypus 6 liter tanks are 3 oz. each, the MSR dromedary bag 10 liter is 10 oz but much heavier duty and is set up to hang from something as well.

one steel water container- not needed

Recommended:
                          hydration bladder- 3 L- I use a SOURCE bladder, tougher than camelback or platypus and the valve gives full flow when opened.

Bivy sack: for use without a tarp or tent the Big Agnes 3 wire bivy is one of the best out there.
                          For use with a tarp or floorless shelter look at TI Goat Raven bivy, or Borah Gear side zip bivy. The Integrel Designs Bugaboo II bivy gets good reviews as well.

Headlamp-I'm still looking here. I used the Princeton Tec Remix last year and was not very impressed. I've heard excellent reviews of Zebralight headlamps though.

Knife- Havalon Piranta

Game Bags- Carnivore game bags

Raingear- Cabelas Ultra Space rainwear or Russell APX.

Comment

What are you all using for a off-season technical day pack? Just something to carry some food and hydration on 5-20 mile training hikes?

I need a new pack. Hill people gear seems to be popular.

Comment

Originally posted by ladrones View Post
                              What are you all using for a off-season technical day pack? Just something to carry some food and hydration on 5-20 mile training hikes?

I need a new pack. Hill people gear seems to be popular.
                              I am watching this. I need something to take on some shed hunt hikes...

Comment

Just a reminder to everyone putting in for Limited entry elk hunts need to keep up with application dead lines; Wyoming date has passed, Arizona is 02/12, Utah is 03/04, Montana is 03/15 and New Mexico is 3/20.

The dates come on quick when you get busy.

Good luck

Comment

Working...
                                X