Taxidermy advice - Euro Mount Outside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taxidermy advice - Euro Mount Outside

I have a red stag euro that I want to hang outside. Is there anything I can put on it to help preserve the appearance and weather the elements?

If it is under cover (porch) it will hold up pretty good but if it is in the sun and rain it will take a toll on it. You can seal the it but I would think that eventually the antlers would become porous and brittle

Comment

Hydro dipping

2K automotive clear coat. That's what I use to preserve the euros I dip. Should keep it good for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Jtrisler View Post
        If it is under cover (porch) it will hold up pretty good but if it is in the sun and rain it will take a toll on it. You can seal the it but I would think that eventually the antlers would become porous and brittle

It will be under a roof.

Comment

Originally posted by buckfan50 View Post
          2K automotive clear coat. That's what I use to preserve the euros I dip. Should keep it good for a long time.
          I am assuming this is in a spray can. Just one coat?

Any other suggestions out there.

Comment

I would also consider Butvar B-76 or PVA B-15. These are plastic hardeners used in preservation and hardening of fossils for museums. They dissolve in acetone and the specimen is either dipped, painted, or sprayed with the solution and once the acetone evaporates the plastic is left within every pore and surface of the bone. It will likely last much longer than a simple surface finish due to the solution quite literally bonding with every pore of the bone, especially if enough is mixed and the skull is dipped.

Comment

Working...
            X