Is it legal to shoot in town - Austin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it legal to shoot in town - Austin?

I got a new sight and I want to get it dialed in, but the longest range around here is 20 yards. I want to get it on at about 60.

We have a ton of retention ponds around that would give the perfect backdrop for any wild arrows. The question is: Is it legal?

bow?

Comment

is anything legal in Austin? (except pot)

Doubt it

Comment

Go try it and report back to us.

Comment

I shot my bow in Tyler at my apartment and was never hassled. Stop a cop and ask him

Comment

Its probally ok....but once one of them Austin peta super libs spots ya with that cruel animal killing weapon they will swarm ya and drive ya crazy

Comment

There have been numerous post about this over the years. There was a post on here a while back from someone in Sugarland that said it was a fine of like $170 for discharging a bow or crossbow in the city limits. I've looked and haven't found anything from Austin that says it's legal or illegal. I had a guy tell me in San Marcos that his neighbor called the police on him for shooting in his yard. The officer asked for him to stop but didn't issue a fine.

Comment

you have to be careful in Austin because if you are near a greenbelt they may cite you for hunting out of season, they don't care if your target is there or not....unless its on private land I would err on the side of caution...Too many nosy tree hugger do gooders

We were in my brother's back yard which is Balcones CC just practicing next to one of the maintenance sheds and the neighbors called the LEO's on us..lucky for us the officer was a hunter and was interested in where we hunt

Comment

If an arrow strays and hits a tree...someone will be injured for sure!!

Comment

It is illegal in Austin. So openly shooting in a retention pond is not advised. I do shoot at my house into my garage at only about 10 yds just to keep in shape and improve form. I do live on a quiet street, my neighbor bow hunts and the rest of them don't give a hoot.

Comment

Are y'all serious? How many other cities/towns don't allow shooting in city limits? I have a range in my unfenced backyard (I lock my targets up when not shooting) that I can step all the way back to 70 yards, and no one here in podunk gives two hoots. Firearms I understand, but come on...guess I could understand a stray arrow damaging property or hurting someone as well though.

Comment

Originally posted by robbyreneeward View Post
                        Are y'all serious? How many other cities/towns don't allow shooting in city limits?
                        I'd say the majority of them!

Comment

Fair enough I guess. One more reason that reminds me why I'm glad I moved home from Ft. Worth after TCU.

Comment

Originally posted by robbyreneeward View Post
                            no one here in podunk gives two hoots.
                            Austin isnt quite podunk

Comment

Join the Austin Archery Club. http://austinarcheryclub.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X