Food plotters - cover crops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Food plotters - cover crops

Very interesting video about the benefits of cover crops. I guess I'm a nerd when it comes to this stuff. Pretty incredible results.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWXCLVCJWTU"]Under Cover Farmers - Feature Length - YouTube[/ame]

I wish I had a no till drill.

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
    I wish I had a no till drill.
    Me and you both! I scan Craigslist just about everyday looking for a good deal, yeah right!

Comment

That was great. Add me to the list of looking for a no till.

When we plowed last year planting got delayed. It hit 105-108 for about a week and I came back to plant in soil with the consistency of a brick..

Comment

awesome vid

Comment

Interesting video. Makes my winter food plots and summer food plots a little more compatible.

Comment

Since I'm lacking in the no-till drill department.....I've been thinking about ways to achieve the same results.

I think the steps would be like this:

1)broadcasting your food plot seed (beans, peas, corn) while the cover crop is still standing
            2) nuke it with Gly
            3) roll it with a cultipacker
            4) pray for rain

You could reverse #1 and #2 and be fine.....since Gly does not affect seeds at all. And you probably would need to wait 4-5 days after spraying to roll it with the packer so the stems get brittle and break instead of just bending over. They will probable snap back if the Gly has not starting working yet.
            Last edited by unclefish; 03-11-2013, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Since I'm lacking in the no-till drill department.....I've been thinking about ways to achieve the same results.

1)broadcasting your food plot seed (beans, peas, corn) while the cover crop is still standing
              2) nuke it with Gly
              4) pray for rain

You could reverse #1 and #2 and be fine.....since Gly does not affect seeds at all. And you probably would need to wait 4-5 days after spraying to roll it with the packer so the stems get brittle and break instead of just bending over. They will probable snap back if the Gly has not starting working yet.
              Great idea I'm thinking my Lawson aerator will do just as good as a cultipacker.

We have 7 plots with over 75 acres of Tritacale that im going to try use to cover Iron Clay peas. I've already prepped and banked another 45 acres for peas as well. All dry land farming. My irrigated food plots have alfalfa. I plan on trying both methods.

Comment

I kind of do this now with my rye plantings in the fall being a nurse crop (not exactly a cover crop) when establishing a new clover or alfalfa. Sure if anyone has been on QDMA but the Lickcreek mix works great.

Comment

Originally posted by bltiger View Post
                  I kind of do this now with my rye plantings in the fall being a nurse crop (not exactly a cover crop) when establishing a new clover or alfalfa. Sure if anyone has been on QDMA but the Lickcreek mix works great.
                  Love me some Lickcreek mix. I tried it a few years ago but the drought killed it. I've tried to do a modified version of it for the south the last few years. .

Comment

yep, i am gonna give the lickcreek strategy a go as well. seems to work great when u get rain.

Comment

Love me some Lickcreek mix. I tried it a few years ago but the drought killed it. I've tried to do a modified version of it for the south the last few years. .
                      Not trying to rub it in or anything but since we get rain the LC mix does awesome up here on our farm in VA.

On our place in South Texas, not so much!!!

Comment

Not trying to rub it in or anything but since we get rain the LC mix does awesome up here on our farm in VA.

sure is pretty

Comment

I'd rub it in if mine looked that good!

I wonder if seeding then mowing and spraying would achieve the same affect as rolling?

Comment

I'd rub it in if mine looked that good!

I wonder if seeding then mowing and spraying would achieve the same affect as rolling?
                            I know someone on QDMA does just that, cannot remember his name, but he has great success doing just that except he sprays, then mows then broad cast into the dead stubble and packs last!

Comment

2) nuke it with Gly
                              4) pray for rain

just watched the entire vid this time, we already disked everything up this year but when fall comes around, ill will definetley be using our fermiseeder. the cultipacker will push the seed in and then roll the cover crop over it. man im pumped. thx for sharin again

Comment

Working...
                              X