No announcement yet.

Who likes a 300 WSM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ive had my Winchester coyote in 300 wsm since about 2004. its taken tons of whitetails, several red stag and elk and it was great on nilgai. recoil is less than a 300 wm but I think it preforms very close to the win mag. I started shooting 150 gr silver tips when I first got it. now all I use for it are TTSX Barnes. they are wicked nasty on whitetials and larger animals. i picked up a Winchester Laredo last year that became my go to gun for this year.

Comment

I have a Savage 300wsm.

Kicks like a mule...but very effective on big game. I used mine on a mulie hunt and an elk hunt. Its not my "go-to" whitetail gun because i hunt East Texas. I shoot 180 grain pills out of it.
      Last edited by Coacheddy; 01-10-2017, 06:06 AM. Reason: .

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
        Canny

Unless you open the bolt face, the WSM (.540") cartridge won't work with the current (.473") bolt

Yeah was either going to do that or swap the bolt for a PTG with a Magnum bolt face.

CB do you know if the WSM will have issues feeding from a short action mag?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The feed rails will have to opened as well. I hear they become tricky to feed and may require a Wyatt's extended magazine which has adjustable ears on the top making it a center feed mag.

The new Curtis Custom detachable mag that APR is using might be a benefit as well.

Like has been said above, the bolt will have to opened as well.

For your intended purpose, I believe you're on the right track.

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
            Yeah was either going to do that or swap the bolt for a PTG with a Magnum bolt face.

CB do you know if the WSM will have issues feeding from a short action mag?

you're gonna spend $500 on the bolt and metal work .... just sell your action/rifle and buy a Remington 700 SPS in 270 WSM and rob the action for your donor

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/611823564

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
              you're gonna spend $500 on the bolt and metal work .... just sell your action/rifle and buy a Remington 700 SPS in 270 WSM and rob the action for your donor

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/611823564
              That's the exact gun I have. I did have issues with it early on with firing a round and not being able to get the bolt turned and eject the shell. It only happened for a little while, come to think of it I don't remember having issues with it during the first round of shooting it breaking it in, and after it stopped I never have another issue with it. Always wondered if it was the ammo causing the issue.

Comment

i built my 300 wsm savage with a shilen heavy sporter. shoots great
                I can hit a gong at 1200 yds and shot my elk at just over 500, so I am happy with it. hornady amax 178gr loves it

Comment

Thanks CB

Comment

I have the Winchester with blind magazines or about 10 years and haven't reloaded for it yet, but those Winchester black silvertips are awesome. They touch at 100 and shoot 1 1/2 -2 at 300. Plan is to reload for it this spring, take it to ranch and stretch out to 5 and 600. Recoil is not as bad as 06, Winchester claims the stock design reduces recoil. My 2 cents, love the gun and caliber.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Probably just going to have the GS open up the bolt face and install a sako extractor. Probably going to go 23" barrel plus muzzle break. Going to keep it in the SPS stick right now and bed the action and reinforce the forearm of needed. I've been wanting to try the enamel spray paint dip so this would be a good stock to try it on. Will upgrade later on to a MCM or Manners but just going to focus on getting the rifle built and functional before spending more money on other things.

Comment

My ruger 7 wsm is my favorite rifle in the safe, but it also has the most recoil

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
                          Here's the deal. I have a short action 700 that I bought as a future project. Was originally planning on a 7mm-08 AI. However my stepdad had purchased a 30 caliber Hart barrel in a Shilen #4 contour that he said I could have as he was not going to use it any time soon. So short action 30 caliber is what I'm looking at. I already have a 308 so don't want to go that route. I'm looking at the 300 WSM. My end goal would be an all purpose hunting rifle so weight is a factor. Goal of under 9lbs. I've been considering 24" with brake, but also been doing research on 22" with brake. I would like to push a 165-180g bullet in the 2900 FPS range. I want a rifle to handle whitetail, elk, pronghorn, mule deer etc. I have a custom built 7mm that I went overboard and ended up at 12lbs so I want something more conducive to carrying around a mountain and such

Remember short action and 30 cal is what it's got to be as that's what I have to work with.

So tell me what you think?

It's a great round Canny. [emoji1417]

Comment

I love my .300 short. I am shooting the 165 grain TTSX and have had great success.

Comment

Good thread. I'm on the fence with what I want to do with my own mint condition blued SA Rem 700 in 243. (Before the obvious is recommended, I already have a 6mm that's one of my favorites)

Was think 7-08 at one time, now I'm leaning to 264 Win Mag. Just can't get off center on what to do so I'll continue reading threads like this.

Comment

Originally posted by tigerscowboy View Post
                                Good thread. I'm on the fence with what I want to do with my own mint condition blued SA Rem 700 in 243. (Before the obvious is recommended, I already have a 6mm that's one of my favorites)

Was think 7-08 at one time, now I'm leaning to 264 Win Mag. Just can't get off center on what to do so I'll continue reading threads like this.

264 Mag takes a long action.

Comment

Working...
                                X