Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's gonna be very nice.

Comment

I got all of the framing members pre-cut, marked, and ready to load into the trailer.

We arrive at the property and finish up fastening the decking to the subfloor. I had run out of screws the last time we were out.

We start on the long wall. It takes a little while, as I have to slightly adjust some of my cuts to get the top plate to fit correctly. It also weighs a ton fully assembled and sheathed; my estimate is 450 pounds. I'm glad I decided to build in place, rather than build it at home and try to hoist it up eight feet to the top of the platform. The good news is, that at 10 feet long with three windows, this is the biggest wall panel, and it's up.

The second wall goes up faster, since I'm able to deal with my cutting mistakes upfront. It's also slightly narrower, at eight feet.

At this point, we were running out of time, daylight, battery power, nails, and gumption and decide to call it a day. I finish up the day by installing my side project, a homemade external battery box/solar panel/game camera station.

Next steps are to put up the remaining walls. Then I can set the ridge beam and supporting posts. I'm going to cut and fit the first rafter in the field, using the plan/model as a starting point, and use it to pattern the rest of the rafters. It's going to be interesting, as I've only built shed roofs, and this will be my first attempt at a gable roof.
      Last edited by DBilbe; 10-02-2016, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Looks great

Comment

I'm liking this design for a family blind

Comment

Looking good

Comment

That's going to be nice!

Comment

Originally posted by BuckySWT View Post
                I'm liking this design for a family blind

Thanks! That's the idea. Now that we have hunting property close, the wife will be tagging along, and requires a little more creature comfort than what we've normally had.

Comment

nice

Comment

Looking great. Do you have a total on materials?

Comment

Originally posted by DBilbe View Post
                      Thanks! That's the idea. Now that we have hunting property close, the wife will be tagging along, and requires a little more creature comfort than what we've normally had.

Sent you a PM...
                      [emoji106]

Comment

You spent WWWAAAAYYYYYYY more time on the drawing then I would have on the actual blind! Lol nice stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by Outback77 View Post
                          Looking great. Do you have a total on materials?
                          I've haven't come up with an exact total yet, but here's a swag:

- Stairs + Footings + Sub-floor + Decking + fasteners = approx. $1250
                          - Walls + Sheathing = approx. $400

I estimate that the rafters, roof decking, underlayment and metal roof are going to cost approximately $400 and the windows an additional $400, assuming I go with Deer View or similar.

Insulation, wiring, trim, exterior siding, etc. will of course be additional expense, but those aren't critical path items, and I'll work those in over time.

So the base costs as much as the blind will. I definitely over-engineered it, but I'l feel better for having done so. And...it's still cheaper than the equivalent-sized blinds I've seen at the hunting show, and more solidly built.

Comment

Originally posted by Fordtough68 View Post
                            You spent WWWAAAAYYYYYYY more time on the drawing then I would have on the actual blind! Lol nice stuff!
                            I think I spent about 16 hours on the drawing, including learning how to use Sketchup.

Hey, it gave this night owl something to do in the wee hours of the night.

Comment

It looks great. Septic, kitchen, bunk beds, and you are set! Lol.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Very nice

Comment

Working...
                                X