Stump removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stump removal

What's the best way you folks have found of stump removal without burning it? Using a Hi-lift to jack it up and out I found to be interesting. Got a hardwood stump to remove that is about 24 inches across this weekend. Roots are thick though.

Dig down below dirt and use old chainsaw blade you can throw away afterwards!

Comment

My parents had a bunch of trees blown over during Harvey. We rented a stump grinder from Home Depot for a day. Satisfying to say the least Lol Not sure how it'd handle that large of a stump though.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudcatz View Post
        This.... I have done it lots of times.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudcatz View Post
          That's the bonus to this actually lol. I've always wanted a chainsaw for cutting firewood while hunting. Just could never really justify it. Now I'm the proud new owner of a Stihl MS 271 with the stamp of approval from my girlfriend. Cutting it below dirt line is my back up plan, but I might be able to get the girlfriends stamp of approval on buying a Hi-lift also that I've always wanted for my truck.

Comment

Last edited by RR 314; 09-12-2017, 06:14 AM. Reason: duplicate-

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiakk View Post
              That's the bonus to this actually lol. I've always wanted a chainsaw for cutting firewood while hunting. Just could never really justify it. Now I'm the proud new owner of a Stihl MS 271 with the stamp of approval from my girlfriend. Cutting it below dirt line is my back up plan, but I might be able to get the girlfriends stamp of approval on buying a Hi-lift also that I've always wanted for my truck.
              Man, if you are seeking/needing approval now, just wait util you are married. Additionally, if a man can't justify owning a chainsaw, well, that ain't no man at all! I kid. I kid. Actually, I believe I am serious. Haaaa.

Best wishes and safe stump removal.

Comment

That brand new chain is going to be toast fyi!

Comment

If you want to ruin a chain, bar, sprocket, clutch, etc......go ahead and use your new $400 Stihl. Your 271 probably came with a 18" bar. Let's do the math.

Stihl 18" Bar - $35
                  Stihl 18" Chain - $28
                  Time and frustration - $$$$

Hiring a stump grinder who can effectively do the job and leave nothing but mulch grindings.... - Priceless

A 24" Trunk is going to have a massive root ball, especially if it was an Oak. I promise you will hate everything while trying to battle that stump.

BTW, I own a Tree Service and do this everyday.

Comment

Dig hole around tree. Neighborhood kids can help with this for the right price. Then ax the major roots. Then get a sturdy tow strap and an old Chevy. Thing will come right out after about a day.

At least that's how our parents made us do it when we were kids. That Chevy took a beating, and kept going like nothing happened.

Comment

The best way is to either hire someone with a stumpgrinder or go rent one. You can go below ground level with one. Or there is the explosives route.

Comment

Check craigslist. I have had a guy out twice in my area that is cheaper than renting a machine. He did a 12" stump and 10" stump for $75 the first time. 2nd time was a 20" stump and 3-4 small 6" stumps for $120. Home Depot wants $75 a day for the small manual stump grinder.

Comment

As mentioned above, spend the money and have a stump grinding service take care of it. Not sure of the rates down your way, but my $100 minimum will cover most 24" stumps .

Comment

City or country? I would consider fire. No way I am using my stihl on it.
                            I have drilled multiple holes in a tough one and let Mother Nature do the rest.

FWIW buying chainsaws has nothing to do with girlfriends unless she is sole bread winner.

Comment

Without starting a new thread I have a quick question. I have 2 pine trees in my front yard that I absolutely despise. It's not so much the trees themselves, it's the roots. I have a small front yard & 3/4 of it is full of roots just above the ground. It sucks to mow & you can't walk through the yard without twisting an ankle. I can cut down the trees, but how would I get rid of all those roots?

Comment

Working...
                              X