No announcement yet.

Flippity Floppin' Cows! Help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, with that said... lease search 2016 starts today. I have three, possibly four hunters and friends (hunted together for several years) who are looking. We are all already in for $2700 per gun currently and would consider a bit more. I could probably gather a couple more guys from church/neighbors if needed. Within 2 hours of DFW preferred. Thank you green screen!!!

Comment

I cannot stand cows on hunting ground. There is nothing I can do about them where I hunt other than a good feeder pen. They have ruined more hunts and killed more deer traffic than anything else I have seen in the last 6 years.

Comment

Cattle Panels. Add a T-Post to all the legs if you have not already. Add a varmint cage or a ******* around the spinner because if they can reach it, a cow will sit there and lick the corn off the spinner all day long.

Sorry for your troubles. Sucks to have stands and feeders messed with (in any way). The deer will be back to the feeders, just fence the cows out.

Comment

Hate to hear that.

Comment

I hate cows with a passion. Up until last year, there were never cows on my BIL ranch. He decided to put 20 cows on it during the summer before last season and it hurt the deer numbers drastically. Nothing else has changed on the ranch except for the cow addition. I usually have pics of at least 3-6 good bucks during August and September every year. Last year I had no pics of anything of size and very few of bucks at all. We usually have around 20-25 different bucks on the place every year but last year we had 6-9 different bucks. I personally passed 6 bucks between 120-135 and did not get a single pic of any of these bucks last year. The bucks and the does have just disappeared. I went from seeing 5-20 deer per sitting to 1 per sitting last years. Zero skunked hunts in the previous 7 years and I had 11 skunked hunts last year. This year is the same. I have a total of 5 bucks on camera and not one is above 2.5 years old. Nothing I can do about it but I can't come up with any other reason for the change in the hunting.

Comment

That's a bummer, I would have a hard time not saying something.... That's a bunch of bull.

Comment

Hate cows and horses on land im trying to hunt

Comment

40 head on 200 ac of timber?? The entire situation sux. They are going to be looking for food even if they have to pole volt into a feeder pen...

Comment

Update...So the rancher showed up on his 4 wheeler right at 7pm tonight, while I'm hunting, to check fences and cows. He's traipsing through the woods making a ton of noise then drives right by me with no acknowledgement, TWICE. I got out of my blind, hunt is done, and chased him down and asked him if he realized he just ruined my hunt. He then starts in with I didn't know you were here. I told him he's full of caca because his 4 wheeler tracks went right by my truck. He just turned and walked away. I said that we paid a lot of money to hunt here and would be appreciative if he would not be so disrespectful. He didn't say anything and kept walking. So mad. Don't know to be more mad at him or land owner. Got a funny feeling he's getting to graze for free because he stayed until about 10pm fixing some random stuff at the old cattle barn. Oh, and we now have 4 horses too.

Called my old college buddy who is a real estate attorney who confirmed I've got nothing. But his recommendation was to send the landowner a polite letter asking for 60 days notice before cattle be placed in the property to prevent future losses like what we've experienced so far. One feeder has been destroyed, the cows have gone through at least 500 lbs of corn and to top it off the ate one of my covert cameras. He said that will provide warning that if they do it again we could go after them for negligence. Anyone have thoughts?

Comment

We have goats and sheep, no cows. But I know they **** me off.

Comment

Cows will always be around and a pain, but sounds like you got screwed and wayyyy overpaid. Some land owners could care less about hunters, just addicted to the money. Move on, but there is always another sucker to lease the place (I've been that sucker).

Comment

I grew up where I hunt and we have had cattle on it my whole life. I have 1 out 8 feeders with a pen around it and the cows have never dumped one of my feeders. They do not even pay much attention to the corn on the ground when they come through. If I do not want them on a setup that I am hunting on that particular day I will feed them cubes on the opposite side of the ranch.

Comment

Working...
                          X