Headache Rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headache Rack

This is my first go at building one of these. I needed something to save my roof from the abuse I was putting it through hauling full length steel on the cab and tailgate. I will also be building a detachable H brace to come off my rear bumper and get the weight off of the tailgate, which I've already dented as well.

Setting up the angle iron. Had to trim the edges a bit with the plasma to get them to fit right. I went with full length so I could weld on some D rings as tie down points.

Initial uprights tacked up and checking the fit

This is where I kinda messed up. The uprights are 2" 11 gauge. When I was tacking them up, I cut a piece of 1.5" 11 gauge I had laying around to put between them and keep em the right distance apart. I decided what the hell it won't be seen, and used it for the bottom horizontal. I didn't think about it until afterwards that this would keep me from being able to use 2@ square for my uprights along the beer window. Dumb move but I made it work using 1.25"x2" as the middle uprights so it looks alright.

Mock up for the lights and cutting out some 1/8" plate to fit them. Also didn't like how this turned out, next go round I plan on using a bigger piece of sheet or maybe go at it a completely different way.

Comment

Got it up on the truck to weld to the angle, here's a shot of the damage I've done to the top

Welded two of these rings on either side for hookup points

Added gussets to either side for support

Comment

great looking welds! looks good

Comment

Man that is great looking work. Powder coat it and start ya a business!

Comment

Looks sweet!

Comment

Great welds. I really like the design too. Maybe for added protection depending on what other stuff you haul, put some horizontal slats, smaller bars, or expanded metal to protect the window too. I know I've almost broken my back glass hauling stuff.

Comment

I thought about expanded metal, but I really don't haul anything that would just out the window plus I didnt want any more restriction than I had to have. When I build one for a customer I will customize it to their specs

Comment

Those are purdy welds. Looks good.

Comment

great welds

Comment

plan on any horizontal pieces ?

Comment

That looks great. I have always wanted to build one but never have.

Comment

Nice work

Comment

Sweet!

Comment

All painted and mounted, I'll do the wiring sometime in the near future

Next project: throwing away those diet mountain few bottles

Comment

Working...
                              X