Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

67 Years Ago Today

One of the Marine Corps most defining moments began

When I was in high school, we had a coach/teacher that was a Korean War veteran. God save us, but we used to get him talking about the Korean War, and before long, he would get that look in his eyes that told us he was reliving his time over there. Then he would excuse himself from class, and we could see huge clouds of cigarette smoke coming from behind the wall surrounding the perimeter of the parking lot. We thought that was great fun, and really liked getting out of class assignments that way. Now, as an older guy (I'm 61), I am ashamed of myself and wish I could find that teacher and very humbly apologize for my behavior.

Regards,

Dave
    Last edited by Double-O-Dave; 11-27-2017, 02:45 PM.

Comment

A book by Jeff Shaara called "Frozen Moments" is a good read. Title may be wrong but author is correct. Recomended.

Comment

Originally posted by timberking View Post
        A book by Jeff Shaara called "Frozen Moments" is a good read. Title may be wrong but author is correct. Recomended.
        Also good reading:

Breakout: The Chosin Reservoir Campaign, Korea 1950 by Martin Russ

Colder Than Hell: A Marine Rifle Company at Chosin Reservoir by Joseph Owen

The Last Stand of Fox Company: A True Story of U.S. Marines in Combat by Bob Drury and Tom Clavin

Comment

The Frozen Hours by Jeff Shaara

Great read

North Korea would not be a problem today

If we had handled this one differently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

A few years ago, we were at an Independence Day firework show with my wife's extended family. I was seated next to her grandfather and before the show began, he told me how much he loved Independece Day and what it meant to him as a Korean War vet. In short order, he opened up and told me about his entire experience. He said it was cold like you cannot fathom. He thought since he survived almost the whole winter, he had a decent chance of surviving the war.

One day, he and another guy were sent to a hill top to peer over to see how much ground the enemy had gained overnight. He said, they crawled over the peak a little too quickly and were looking straight down the barrel of an enemy machine gun which they had just set up. He said, he heard the gun rip off rounds and saw his buddy's head explode and then his whole body felt hot. He told me the peak was sharp enough that he was flipped over by the impacts and he tumbled down the hill.

He told me, "I wasn't paralyzed but nothing on my body worked except my eyelids." He said his squad battled it out all around him until the medics could get to him and get him out of there. In the end, he was hit four times, three exited and the one still in his body entered his collar bone, traveled down his back, exited, entered and exited his butt and settled in his upper thigh.

He was too severely wounded to return to battle but he said his biggest fear was returning to the cold. I didnt know it until later but I am the only person he has EVER spoken to about his time there. His wife nor his six kids knew. He wouldn't talk. I'm honored he picked me to tell his story to. He hasn't spoken a word of it since, not to me or anyone else. It must have been horrible over there and there are millions of stories just like his, I am sure.

Comment

Working...
            X