26 yard zero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

26 yard zero

Much has been written on the ideal distance to zero a hunting rifle. There is no best sight-in range for everyone, because the range at which hunters expect to shoot their quarry differs considerably. There is one technique, however, that should allow you to hold your crosshairs on the vitals of deer-sized game and keep the bullet inside the vital zone out to 280 yards—and Jeff Johnston's ready to share it with you.

Read this article a while back and with hunting season opening up out west soon it made me think of this, I think a lot of you will enjoy this read. The same concept can be applied to your bow sights by just shooting a set single pin that will cover you from 10-50 yard or so depending on arrow speed and being able to adjust and know animal deminsions instead of having to mess with trying to figure out which pin to use when in a situation you have to make a quick shot.

Interesting... Sighting in my Blackout this weekend.

Comment

Right, I have a single pin adjustable and I've moved it twice. Once to 100yds just shooting for fun, and back down to 25yds.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
        You are going to have a LOT bigger arc on that gun than the 270 in the article! I have one and like it but I wouldn’t use that technique on that caliber.

Comment

I’m willing to bet the author of the article hunts with a typewriter. Total bs.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
            What about it is BS?

Comment

I've been 1 pin out to 38 yards for years.. A flat shooting bow sure makes it easy..

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
                As already stated, 300blk is has a big arc. a 21 yard zero would theoretically put you a max of 3" high at 100 yards and down to 3" low at 225 yards.

There are some slight variables that could change a little like sight height and actually MV, BC etc. I ran the hornady 110 grain load.

The math works, but you need to check it. Don't just shoot it at 21 yards and call it done.

Comment

I used to do this with my 22-250. Can’t remember the starting yardage right now. But you have to be dead on exact at that close of a range. If your of even just a touch it will magnify over distance.

Comment

I’m curious to see why you say this Larry. Years ago before I had regular access to a 100 yard range I used the 25 yard zero method as well. For the distances I was regularly shooting it worked perfectly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
                      As already stated, 300blk is has a big arc. a 21 yard zero would theoretically put you a max of 3" high at 100 yards and down to 3" low at 225 yards.

There are some slight variables that could change a little like sight height and actually MV, BC etc. I ran the hornady 110 grain load.

The math works, but you need to check it. Don't just shoot it at 21 yards and call it done.

Here is some hypothetical stuff using my handload and rifle
                      data with my 300 Blackout.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                        I’m curious to see why you say this Larry. Years ago before I had regular access to a 100 yard range I used the 25 yard zero method as well. For the distances I was regularly shooting it worked perfectly.

I've literally sighted in 100's of rifles. I always start at 25 yards and then move further out. Most of the time the gun will shoot a minimum of eight inches high at 100 yards. Sometimes more. Sometimes a lot more. How high the scope sits above the centerline of the bore makes a big difference. You can do all the math that you want but the only way to know for sure is to shoot at that distance.

Old gun writers had this theory way back. Sight in at 25 yards and you would be dead on at 200. It didn't work for me.

Comment

The old time gun writers that had the 25 yd. sight in/on at 200 theory were talking about the open iron sights that came on most factory rifles then. I still have an old Browning catalog that describes the procedure and how to adjust their sights by moving the rear sight in it's dovetail the same way you wanted the point of impact to move, and if it was necessary to move the front sight, you moved it the opposite way you wanted POI to move...Those iron sights were quite low over the bore.

Comment

I've literally sighted in 100's of rifles. I always start at 25 yards and then move further out. Most of the time the gun will shoot a minimum of eight inches high at 100 yards. Sometimes more. Sometimes a lot more. .

For this to be true on my 6.5 CM the scope would have to be mounted 3.25" above the bore.

Comment

There is no argument that the best way to know is to shoot every range available to confirm but, I've used a 25/200 zero for typical .308 loads very successfully for years. Math is math. It works.

Comment

Working...
                              X