New Car Trouble Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Car Trouble Advice

I need a little wisdom from the GS. We bought a new car on 7/25. In the midst of the test drive, a message came across the dash to “Service Restraint System.” While we were finalizing the deal, the service department was checking out the car and “identified a loose ground wire”. We took the car that day assuming that all was well. The next day, my wife texted me to tell me that the notification was coming up every 20 seconds. I immediately called the dealership and they asked for me to bring it in the following Tuesday (5 days later). I asked if we could bring it in that day and they obliged. They decided that it needed a new airbag which would have to be ordered and would take upwards of 5 business days to arrive. We were given a small crossover loaner (Wife went alone to pick it up). We were told to expect a call midweek to update is on the status of the order. No call received. I sent several messages to our salesman who assured me that someone would call. No calls.

On Friday, my wife called multiple times throughout the day and was told that the service manager would call her back. No calls. Finally, she called and sat on hold until the service manager answered. The part is on backorder for an unknown amount of time. We had a couple Ferber call on 8/3 to discuss their plan to exchange vehicles with us on 8/6. Since we were going to be without our vehicle another weekend, I asked that they give us a larger SUV comparable to the one we purchased. They did.

I just got a call that they are going to exchange vehicles for us but that it will take a few more days. In total, we will have been without a vehicle for 13 days of the 15 days since we purchased it.

My question is should they be offering some kind of remuneration for our trouble or should I just be thankful that they are exchanging us vehicles for an exact replacement?

When we were originally anticipating being without the car for a week, the dealer was proposing the idea of them paying our first note. I asked if they would simply add remote start (a cheaper alternative for them). Neither of which are on the table now.

On one hand, I wouldn’t expect a retail store to do anything other than a direct exchange for a faulty product. On the other, I picture this as somewhat of a Service recovery situation where you have to give a little more to offset the poor experience (complimentary meal with free dessert on your next visit).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ask for whatever you want. Extra warranty, upgrades of any type, free oil changes etc......
    Worst thing that can happen is they say no.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjohntex View Post
      Ask for whatever you want. Extra warranty, upgrades of any type, free oil changes etc......
      If you don't ask, the answer is always no.

Comment

If you dont ask, you dont know however, I'd be happy with them switching to a different vehicle and you did have a loaner during the time it was in the shop so the inconvenience was minimal..

Comment

Originally posted by nursejenn View Post
          If you dont ask, you dont know however, I'd be happy with them switching to a different vehicle and you did have a loaner during the time it was in the shop so the inconvenience was minimal..

I don’t disagree but my wife seems to be way more upset about having the loaner than thankful that they provided it.

Comment

I would of course be frustrated with the entire situation, but thankful they agreed to exchange vehicles so quickly. I have heard horror stories, even on TBH, where dealerships continue to troubleshoot and keep a new vehicle for lengthy periods of time only to say it is fixed or they can't duplicate the problem. A short time later it is back at the dealer. At least you didn't have to go through that type of ordeal for several months.

Comment

Ask for 15 free tanks of gas. You don't ask you don't get.

Comment

Originally posted by bigjohntex View Post
                That's the first thing you should do in this situation. If you did not pay for the premium warranty, demand they give you the premium warranty or they can just keep the vehicle and fully reimburse you. Then make sure the warranty is a factory warranty. Do not settle for a aftermarket warranty, those are worthless, quite often.

Comment

You should thank your lucky stars you got into a different vehicle without a drawn out fight.

Comment

I would be thankful they are replacing the car but also it doesn't hurt to request additional reimbursement for your troubles.

Comment

Why did y’all buy a car that broke down during a test drive? I am not a snake juggler , but seems very risky

Comment

I had a worse scenario than that and it ended with them unwilling to do anything like that for me.

I’d consider myself lucky, but I’d ask for them pay the first note if they offered it before.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfootwolff View Post
                          I would of course be frustrated with the entire situation, but thankful they agreed to exchange vehicles so quickly. I have heard horror stories, even on TBH, where dealerships continue to troubleshoot and keep a new vehicle for lengthy periods of time only to say it is fixed or they can't duplicate the problem. A short time later it is back at the dealer. At least you didn't have to go through that type of ordeal for several months.

Absolutely. I’m definitely not wanting to rock the boat because they could very well do this.

Comment

Texas has a 30 day lemon law if I recall correctly...inquire about it!

Comment

What was the brand of car? It wasn't a Russell & Smith" dealership, was it? I had some very shady dealings with them, and eventually took my brand new car to my mechanic to have some work done.

Seems like they have been helpful, and as everyone else said, you can't get what you don't ask for.

Comment

Working...
                              X