G5 Montec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

G5 Montec

Bought some G5 Montec’s for hunting this year and I’m curious to know, how important is it to match the blades up with the veins? I’ve read it’s important to do it and seeing as I don’t have a place to test them out in flight (yet) I was curious if anyone had any experience with them. Also I’ve heard blood trails aren’t great with montecs, anyone here ever experience that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to shoot them. I never needed to index them, they flew fine. I did switch away due to the dismal blood trails. Not sure why, but for some odd reason animals just don't leave the trail you would expect.

As for indexing, you will need to shoot them to see if you have any arrow flight issues. Again, I never did and didn't have to index. I now shoot a 2 blade and index. Your set up will dictate that.

Comment

Originally posted by rladner View Post
      I used to shoot them. I never needed to index them, they flew fine. I did switch away due to the dismal blood trails. Not sure why, but for some odd reason animals just don't leave the trail you would expect.

As for indexing, you will need to shoot them to see if you have any arrow flight issues. Again, I never did and didn't have to index. I now shoot a 2 blade and index. Your set up will dictate that.

I worry the most about bad blood trails.

Comment

I have never indexed mine and have not had any issues. You should probably shoot them into foam and make sure you are squared away.

Comment

I shoot the Nap Hellrazors which are just about the same and have never aligned my with fletching no issues at all, my buddy shoots the G5 and the same nevers aligns them and he too has no issues.......only issue we got is skinning animals every time we stick a an animal lol

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
            I worry the most about bad blood trails.

I never lost an animal but just didn't see the blood trails. It was actually pointed out to me by my PH on my first trip to Africa. On the second animal he mentioned there wasn't much blood to follow, which is fine since they follow tracks, but they like the blood to confirm it is the right tracks and obviously the amount of blood on the ground is a good indicator as to whether the animal is down or not. He told me that, then said he and the tracker noticed the same thing about the first animal I shot. I thought, oh well, no biggie. After I got back I started hearing about bad blood trails and realized that it what was happening. Decided I liked more blood on the ground and made the change. I really like the broadhead and can't explain why they don't seem to bleed that great but that's what I experienced.

Comment

I used to shoot them and never indexed them. They flew fine for me. Then again I shoot FOB's so indexing anything isn't going to happen.

Comment

Its the only broadhead I have ever used and have never indexed them. (should be able to date my intro into archery hunting). As much as I hate to admit I have shot a couple deer who didn't leave a good blood trail. Since I am colorblind...those deer were not recovered. I don't trust mechanical. I only bowhunt for deer if I have a buddy or two with me to help track. I use a 7mag for rifle hunting so I don't need to track.

Comment

Not at all needed

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

It's not needed with any broadhead. If you it makes you feel better you can, but you don't need to.

Comment

I think the bad blood trails is due to them just not being able to get as sharp as a lot of broad heads, even New they aren’t very sharp. I shot them for years because they are a great penetration head and solid as a rock but I put several in the pump station and never saw a drop on the ground

Comment

Working...
                      X