Hardie plank siding???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hardie plank siding???

Can any of y'all construction guys give me a little info on the HardiePlank siding? I need to replace some siding, and want to get something that I do not have to worry about rotting ever again. What do I need to cut this stuff? Can I nail it with a nail gun? If so, what king of nailer should I have?

I have also seen some stuff called Smart Side, but dont know anything about it. It looks to have a wafwerboard type of material??? A roofer told me it was better than Hardie, so I'm just asking.

Thanks in advance for any info!

Bisch

It's good stuff. Just needs paint every 10-15 years to look good. I wouldn't want any other product on my house. That I know of anyways.

I'm not working construction these days, but I've installed it on a few houses. Can be cut with any circular saw with a special blade. Jig saws work for precise cuts as needed, but burns through blades. It gets dusty so plan on using a mask... Nail it on with a regular roofing nailer.

If you can work with wood, you can handle hardy. Just takes some time to get the hang of it.

No idea on smart side...

Comment

Hardie plank siding???

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
      Can any of y'all construction guys give me a little info on the HardiePlank siding? I need to replace some siding, and want to get something that I do not have to worry about rotting ever again. What do I need to cut this stuff? Can I nail it with a nail gun? If so, what king of nailer should I have?

I have also seen some stuff called Smart Side, but dont know anything about it. It looks to have a wafwerboard type of material??? A roofer told me it was better than Hardie, so I'm just asking.

Thanks in advance for any info!

Bisch

I’m not in construction but I have owned a house with regular siding and Hardie. Hardie is by far the better material. The current house I live in I avoided wood at all cost. The one wooden pole I have on my back porch I have had to repaint after 6 years and could see where I would have to replace in a couple of years. The outside window trim looks like it was applied with finishing nails probably with a nail gun.

The siding looks like it is held on by the trim cause I can’t find any nail marks. Maybe there is an adhesive behind the Hardie? I’m interested to have the construction guys chime in!

I’m running around the outside of my house right now in my drawers and my wife is like what the hell are you doing[emoji23]. It looks like the longer pieces without trim are attached with nails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Black Ice; 04-23-2018, 09:28 PM.

Comment

I'd go with Hardie board. I've been out of the construction world for awhile now. But have personally hung alot of Hardie and some smart board. Hardie is a bit more difficult to hang due to weight and it likes to flex alot. We ran it with an 1 1/2" overlap, blind nail with a coil gun. Cut it with a circular saw using a Hardie blade. It is very dusty so try to setup so the breeze blows dust away from you.

Smart board is easier to work with, not as heavy and cuts like wood. Install was the same I'm just not a fan of wafer board for siding. Manufacturer says it will last, but I'm not convinced.
        Last edited by RatherBhuntin; 04-23-2018, 09:44 PM.

Comment

We just finished our house last May and went with Hardie. We bought a coil nailer and used the skilsaw blade for Hardie. As mentioned above blind nail it and caulk all lapping seams.There is not a single piece of exposed wood on the exterior of our house. But,I didn't know about Smart siding at the time. I think they say it will last a lot longer than Hardie but haven't used any of it. You really cant go wrong either way but we do like the looks of our Hardie siding.

Comment

Coil nailer works best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

coil nailer and grinder with stone cut off wheel

Comment

Both are good products. I like smart side better. Easier to work with and longer lengths. Lighter and cuts with normal tools and blades. It is literally waterproof. I used it the first time when replacing the facia on my daughter’s house. I had a leftover 16’ long piece laying across the arms of a lawn chair in the backyard when we finished and it rained/ drizzled for the next 7 days straight. I was curious to see what it would do. It did not sag one bit nor did it soak up any water. I was surprise and impressed and sold on the product after that. The resin it is made with has zinc borate in it which makes it very insect resistant as well. Hardie can crack if hit just right but it is very fire resistant. Hardie does absorb water if exposed but won’t rot but can mildew. Smart side is also a tiny bit cheaper. Unless you need the fire resistant properties of hardie I think smart side is a better product.

Comment

Smart side is just osb. I sided my storage building with it.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	20170604_142046.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	24538293

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
                    Smart side is just osb. I sided my storage building with it.
                    [ATTACH]905717[/ATTACH]
                    Use what you want. Not affiliated with either company. LP Smart siding is not just osb. I've built homes with both products, soaked lap smark siding in a tub of water for 2 months straight, came out looking like the day it went in, hit it with hammers and did not dent it. Lighter, easier to cut and install.

2 months ago resided my garage due to holes in the Hardi from baseballs. Not a mark on the Smart siding.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuck View Post
                      Use what you want. Not affiliated with either company. LP Smart siding is not just osb. I've built homes with both products, soaked lap smark siding in a tub of water for 2 months straight, came out looking like the day it went in, hit it with hammers and did not dent it. Lighter, easier to cut and install.

2 months ago resided my garage due to holes in the Hardi from baseballs. Not a mark on the Smart siding.
                      Great info thanks for sharing... What are the demenssions that the smart siding is available in??

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                        Great info thanks for sharing... What are the demenssions that the smart siding is available in??
                        Same as hardi. Lap siding, 4x8 sheets, all the standard trims.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Ice View Post
                          This is the blade you need to cut fiber cement siding. Use a big fan to blow the dust away from you.

As a builder I have built 900+ houses with fiber cement. Go to a lumber yard and you should beat the big box price by a couple bucks a board.

Blind nail the siding with a coil gun. Any "loose" pieces can be face nailed at the bottom with a brad gun. Use bib flashing(a piece of aluminum flashing that goes behind the butt joint and laps over the course below it) behind the butt joints, don't caulk them. Leave a 1/8" gap at the corners and lay in a bead of 40 year paintable silicon caulk.

Comment

Dewalt makes a set of shears for cutting lap sidong. Well woth the $200 / 250 cost to save your lungs.

Comment

Hardi blade or even a 24T framing blade will cut it along with a Skilsaw.. Just be prepared to throw the blade out when you're done

Nail with a coil gun, and don't nail too close to the edges because it'll blow out...

Get your bottom piece level, measure every 7" up off of that, pop lines, and go to work

Comment

Working...
                              X