Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long do you leave your recurve strung?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long do you leave your recurve strung?

As the title says, how long do most off you leave your recurve strung? What is your set process for getting ready to shoot your bow? Short distances and work backwards?

Also, do you use leather/deer hide, plunger or flip rest?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I generally unstring my bow but know people who unstring them when they change strings, on a glass bow I don't think it matters. As far as shooting I usually start and warm up at 19 yards cause that is how far my sidewalk is to my bag, but then I move around from 5 to 35 or so. Depending on the bow I have different rest materials, but usually a rug and a leather plate

Comment

When I get a new string. I shoot my bows several times a week. Unstringing them seems like a waste up effort.

Comment

They claim more limbs are damaged during the stringing/unstringing process than anything else. I have bows that I shoot regularly that have been strung for a couple years.

Comment

I shoot 3-4 times per week year round so I leave it strung unless I’m tinkering with brace height.

Comment

As long as you store it right, you can leave it string all the time. I unstring longbows because I don’t use a stringer and it’s easy.

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
              I generally unstring my bow but know people who unstring them when they change strings, on a glass bow I don't think it matters. As far as shooting I usually start and warm up at 19 yards cause that is how far my sidewalk is to my bag, but then I move around from 5 to 35 or so. Depending on the bow I have different rest materials, but usually a rug and a leather plate
              Thanks for that, I like the that's how long my sidewalk is. We all use what works in our situation.

Comment

Originally posted by KenWood View Post
                As long as you store it right, you can leave it string all the time. I unstring longbows because I don’t use a stringer and it’s easy.
                Just to make sure I'm storing it right, how do you recommend? Btw, I keep mine inside the house in a closet at a consistent temperature?

Comment

Not standing on end.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HdFilmmaker View Post
                    Just to make sure I'm storing it right, how do you recommend? Btw, I keep mine inside the house in a closet at a consistent temperature?
                    Put it on some hooks even spacing. On the string. Make sure it has room to swing freely.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                      Not standing on end.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
                      Oops...

Comment

Originally posted by KenWood View Post
                        Put it on some hooks even spacing. On the string. Make sure it has room to swing freely.
                        Thanks for that tip of info, I'll put it on hooks.

Comment

As the title says, how long do most off you leave your recurve strung? Forever

What is your set process for getting ready to shoot your bow? Don my gloves

Short distances and work backwards? Yes

Also, do you use leather/deer hide, plunger or flip rest? Adhesive Velco, pile...shelf and strike plate

Thanks... Youre welcome. Thank you!
                          Last edited by Briar Friar; 03-25-2018, 11:33 PM.

Comment

I generally leave my shooting bows strung up on the rack in the shop. I unstring them when they are brought back into the house as there simply isn't room on the racks for bows that are strung.

I have started using top grain cowhide for my rest and backplate. I skive the edges so that it lays flat and doesn't catch anything as the arrow passes. It is easy to add a sliver of leather to put a slight rise in it if you want to do that. I use the $1 a tube contact cement from the Dollar store. I have yet to have any problems with things staying stuck and it is a breeze to remove the worn leather and clean up when it comes time for new or just different rests.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
                              I generally leave my shooting bows strung up on the rack in the shop. I unstring them when they are brought back into the house as there simply isn't room on the racks for bows that are strung.

I have started using top grain cowhide for my rest and backplate. I skive the edges so that it lays flat and doesn't catch anything as the arrow passes. It is easy to add a sliver of leather to put a slight rise in it if you want to do that. I use the $1 a tube contact cement from the Dollar store. I have yet to have any problems with things staying stuck and it is a breeze to remove the worn leather and clean up when it comes time for new or just different rests.
                              Thats a good looking bow, and thank you for that info I'll use some of the cowhide I have sitting around.

Comment

Working...
                              X