Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Traditional

Old 03-25-2018, 07:07 PM   #1
HdFilmmaker
Eight Point

Hunt In: Guided Elk hunts in Colo to hogs in Texas
Default How long do you leave your recurve strung?

As the title says, how long do most off you leave your recurve strung? What is your set process for getting ready to shoot your bow? Short distances and work backwards?

Also, do you use leather/deer hide, plunger or flip rest?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HdFilmmaker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2018, 07:16 PM   #2
RJH1
Eight Point

Hunt In: Abilene area

I generally unstring my bow but know people who unstring them when they change strings, on a glass bow I don't think it matters. As far as shooting I usually start and warm up at 19 yards cause that is how far my sidewalk is to my bag, but then I move around from 5 to 35 or so. Depending on the bow I have different rest materials, but usually a rug and a leather plate
RJH1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2018, 07:26 PM   #3
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

When I get a new string. I shoot my bows several times a week. Unstringing them seems like a waste up effort.
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2018, 07:34 PM   #4
Cold 1
Eight Point

Hunt In: Ok. / Tx.

They claim more limbs are damaged during the stringing/unstringing process than anything else. I have bows that I shoot regularly that have been strung for a couple years.
Cold 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2018, 07:53 PM   #5
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

I shoot 3-4 times per week year round so I leave it strung unless I’m tinkering with brace height.
jerp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2018, 08:17 PM   #6
KenWood
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano and Runnels county

As long as you store it right, you can leave it string all the time. I unstring longbows because I don’t use a stringer and it’s easy.
KenWood is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2018, 09:25 PM   #7
HdFilmmaker
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJH1 View Post
I generally unstring my bow but know people who unstring them when they change strings, on a glass bow I don't think it matters. As far as shooting I usually start and warm up at 19 yards cause that is how far my sidewalk is to my bag, but then I move around from 5 to 35 or so. Depending on the bow I have different rest materials, but usually a rug and a leather plate
Thanks for that, I like the that's how long my sidewalk is. We all use what works in our situation.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:26 PM   #8
HdFilmmaker
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenWood View Post
As long as you store it right, you can leave it string all the time. I unstring longbows because I donít use a stringer and itís easy.
Just to make sure I'm storing it right, how do you recommend? Btw, I keep mine inside the house in a closet at a consistent temperature?
Old 03-25-2018, 09:44 PM   #9
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones and San Saba Counties and Missouri

Not standing on end.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
DRT is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2018, 10:24 PM   #10
KenWood
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano and Runnels county

Quote:
Originally Posted by HdFilmmaker View Post
Just to make sure I'm storing it right, how do you recommend? Btw, I keep mine inside the house in a closet at a consistent temperature?
Put it on some hooks even spacing. On the string. Make sure it has room to swing freely.
KenWood is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-25-2018, 10:50 PM   #11
HdFilmmaker
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRT View Post
Not standing on end.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
Oops...
Old 03-25-2018, 10:51 PM   #12
HdFilmmaker
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenWood View Post
Put it on some hooks even spacing. On the string. Make sure it has room to swing freely.
Thanks for that tip of info, I'll put it on hooks.
Old 03-26-2018, 12:31 AM   #13
Briar Friar
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Gabriel, Colorado and Rio Grande watersheds

As the title says, how long do most off you leave your recurve strung? Forever

What is your set process for getting ready to shoot your bow? Don my gloves

Short distances and work backwards? Yes

Also, do you use leather/deer hide, plunger or flip rest? Adhesive Velco, pile...shelf and strike plate

Thanks... Youre welcome. Thank you!

Last edited by Briar Friar; 03-26-2018 at 12:33 AM.
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2018, 05:09 AM   #14
60 Deluxe
Ten Point

Hunt In: at home

I generally leave my shooting bows strung up on the rack in the shop. I unstring them when they are brought back into the house as there simply isn't room on the racks for bows that are strung.

I have started using top grain cowhide for my rest and backplate. I skive the edges so that it lays flat and doesn't catch anything as the arrow passes. It is easy to add a sliver of leather to put a slight rise in it if you want to do that. I use the $1 a tube contact cement from the Dollar store. I have yet to have any problems with things staying stuck and it is a breeze to remove the worn leather and clean up when it comes time for new or just different rests.
Attached Images

60 Deluxe is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2018, 06:45 AM   #15
HdFilmmaker
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
I generally leave my shooting bows strung up on the rack in the shop. I unstring them when they are brought back into the house as there simply isn't room on the racks for bows that are strung.

I have started using top grain cowhide for my rest and backplate. I skive the edges so that it lays flat and doesn't catch anything as the arrow passes. It is easy to add a sliver of leather to put a slight rise in it if you want to do that. I use the $1 a tube contact cement from the Dollar store. I have yet to have any problems with things staying stuck and it is a breeze to remove the worn leather and clean up when it comes time for new or just different rests.
Thats a good looking bow, and thank you for that info I'll use some of the cowhide I have sitting around.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:58 AM   #16
stickbowcoop
Ten Point

Hunt In: OH, PA, looking for a place in TX.

Many suggest hanging your bow horizontal with two points of contact. Some even go so far as to say never by the string only by the riser to minimize and stress or tension on the limbs. I have been hanging mine vertical from a hook or skinny peg since the 1980's. I guess I like living dangerously . Most of my bows hang unstrung on hooks, but two stay strung because we shoot them enough it's just easier that way. If I ever get a shop built I do plan to build a bow rack large enough I can store them horizontally, but that would be the first time in nearly 35 years of trad shooting that I stored my bows that way. I guess I have tested fate long enough though and figure I should finally do it the correct way.

I have been using the "fuzzy" side of industrial velcro for my shelf and strike plate. On my ILF bow I have a set screw coming in from the side that pushes out on the strike plate so I can adjust center shot. I struggled with the decision if I wanted to use a rest and plunger. I finally decided to just use a wine cork to make a hump on the shelf and covered it all in velcro for now until I can make up my mind. I made it high enough that I could utilize the riser hole for center shot adjustment. I don't care about legal for shoots because I don't shoot 3D's anymore.

Shelf and rest:

stickbowcoop is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2018, 12:25 PM   #17
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

"Many suggest hanging your bow horizontal with two points of contact. Some even go so far as to say never by the string only by the riser to minimize and stress or tension on the limbs."

It gets confusing - I have heard the recommendation to not hang a strung bow horizontally by the string. I have heard other bowyers say just the opposite. For example the "bow care" videos on Bob Lee's website specifically says to hang it horizontally by the string. I personally cannot see how either way would put stress on the limbs. Seems to me as long as you don't lean it up in a corner the bow will be fine.
jerp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2018, 03:12 PM   #18
SwampRabbit
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wherever

Quote:
Originally Posted by HdFilmmaker View Post
As the title says, how long do most off you leave your recurve strung? What is your set process for getting ready to shoot your bow? Short distances and work backwards?

Also, do you use leather/deer hide, plunger or flip rest?

Thanks

At the house, my recurve is left strung all the time, hanging by the string on a bow rack.

I used to take it down for travel, but now I have hooks on the back of my front chairs, and hang it from those during travel from the house to wherever I am hunting. If I know I am going to be stopped somewhere and my vehicle left alone in the sun or anything, I unstring it. Never leave a bow strung up in a hot car.

I use a once piece calf hair rest.

I put my tab on my middle finger... grab my bow off the rack and a practice arrow out of the arrow holder on the floor and head to the back door. I grab my target on the way out. Put out my target and pick a spot in the yard to shoot from.

In 99% of the time, my first shot is coming from 15-16 yards. I may stay there the entire time... I may drift around the yard depending if I feel like I need to work on certain distances, or varying distances. Almost all my work happens at 15 yards.

Lately, I've jumped back to 22 yards after the first 15 yarder... as all my first shots have been bulls or within 1" of the bull on the first.
SwampRabbit is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2018, 04:17 PM   #19
White Falcon
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East Tx. and Anywhere I can!

I leave mine strong all the time. Hang from cup hooks and l brackets. Rug rest and leather side plate. I shoot almost every other day.
Attached Images

White Falcon is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2018, 04:32 PM   #20
Bisch
Pope & Young

Default How long do you leave your recurve strung?

My recurve gets unstrung after every time I shoot it. Not a necessity, but more of a habit!

I use the fuzzy side of Velcro for the rest and side plate on all my bows.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Bisch is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2018, 04:42 PM   #21
Dry Bones
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas, Whatever comes available

With Bisch here. I unstring mine after every use and I shoot pretty much every day and sometimes a few times through the day. After each session I unstring. I do use a stringer on my recurves, but not on my longbows. I have a peg wall that allows my bows to hang vertical, but not touching the floor. Probably not necessary, but it takes less then a minute to string one, so....
As for rest, I shoot off the shelf with a very thin piece of leather on the shelf and strike plate.
-The only bow I have that is not that way is my Hummingbird. It came with Velcro on the rest, and shoots great that way, so I left it.

I like the cold shot scenario and at different ranges, but usually from 20-25 yards. Cold = no warm up, deer do not allow you to take practice shots, so I want to know my first one counts as good as any. Then I just play around from 15-30 ish. Also I had to learn to stop shooting when I start feeling fatigue set in. Take a break and then come back to it. If you shoot into fatigued muscles there is a greater chance of developing bad habbits, just trust me on that one.
Dry Bones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2018, 09:41 PM   #22
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Hunt In: East TX

I leave my Widow strung because that's what they recommend. My Primal Tech I unstring because that's what Randy recommended. I go by whatever the bowyer recommends. As far as shooting distances, I do it the opposite of some folks I guess. I start at 25 yards...because when I first start shooting I'm fresh and not fatigued at all, so I feel like my form is better. I normally shoot a few at 25, a few at 20, and a few at 15. Then later in the day I try to get in a second session where I shoot one arrow then pull it and shoot again, from varying distances and angles, and try to get a dozen shots or so in that way.
CRM_95 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-26-2018, 09:45 PM   #23
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Last edited by CRM_95; 03-26-2018 at 09:47 PM.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:46 PM   #24
CRM_95
Pope & Young

This is how I store mine. One is just a gun rack, the other is a rack my son made me from PVC.

And then my Widow is strung and ready to go.

Old 03-26-2018, 09:50 PM   #25
CRM_95
Pope & Young

Yikes!! I just noticed thereís an empty shelf on that one rack...

Old 03-26-2018, 10:09 PM   #26
stykshooter
Ten Point

Hunt In: S. Dakota, Nebraska & Texas

I had a pic of a bow Mike Fedora Sr. had strung for 23 years & that was 5 or 6 years ago. Bow rack was like CRM_95's & I hsve one that's about 8 years strung, same style rack
stykshooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2018, 05:57 AM   #27
ShaBow
Ten Point

Hunt In: A Tree

Leave strung unless Im not gonna shoot that particular bow for a few months or Im gonna leave it inside a hot vehicle!
ShaBow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-27-2018, 09:13 AM   #28
LeanMachine
Ten Point

Hunt In: east texas

I'm hard headed. I don't unstring mine. I store them standing on end frequently. I do not baby them at all. A quality bow will tolerate a ton of "abuse" with no problem. I have always shot bob lees and DIY bows I built that are bob lee copycats.

I used to have an old bear aluminum riser recurve with solid fiberglass limbs. That joker would twist up on ya for sure. Seems the laminate limbs are much more tolerant.

Are you having an issue currently? If not, I wouldn't worry about it.
LeanMachine is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top