Major Problem Advice Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Major Problem Advice Needed

Against my better judgement I loaned my 6.8 AR to a friend. Somehow or other he managed to put a 22-250 in the magazine and drop the bolt severly wedging the live case in the chamber. I have tried to GENTLY extract it without success. Any ideas?

Wooden dowel rod down the barrel and tap it out maybe.

Comment

Have him write you a check

Comment

Get new friends????

Comment

Originally posted by TWP View Post
          Get new friends????
          Bad thing is that this guy is very good with firearms. I think it was one of those freak accidents that could have been avoided by having one type of ammo on the bench at a time.
          Originally posted by TxAg View Post
          Have him write you a check
          If it has to go to a gunsmith he's footing the bill.

Comment

I vote dowel rod

Comment

Dowel rod for sure,

If you are not comfortable tapping on it or it doesn't come with light tapping, you can rig up a rubber band or two over the top of the dowel to keep pressure on the rod and leave it over night. Had it happen once when I was a kid and got a 28ga shell mixed in with my 20s.

Comment

How deeply did it seat? Have you tried mortaring the rifle, could you take the barrel off and get a little better access?

Comment

Originally posted by hellbndr23 View Post
                  How deeply did it seat? Have you tried mortaring the rifle, could you take the barrel off and get a little better access?
                  It seated pretty deep. About 1/2 inch of case sticking out the chamber.

Comment

I would drip some oil down the barrel first and let it soak then try tapping it out with a dowel rod.

Comment

Remove the barrel and then run some penetrating oil down the bore (I recommend Kroil) and all around the case at the chamber mouth. Let it sit and soak overnight and try to remove the stuck cartridge, If not successful, get the hair dryer put on hottest setting, and warm up the chamber area for several minutes, rotating the barrel. The heat will make the chamber "expand" slightly, hopefully enough to remove the stuck cartridge. If that doesn't work--it's 'smith time.

Comment

Spray a spoonful of PB Blaster down the barrel, let it sit overnight. Then try GENTLY tapping it out with a dowel rod. But be careful. You CAN ignite a primer by striking it from the inside. I know, I did it once and blew a hole through my hand.

If you can, gunsmith. Hope it didn't damage your chamber.
                        Last edited by Ruark; 02-28-2016, 10:15 PM.

Comment

i agree lock the bolt back and tap it out with a dowel rod

Comment

Grab the bolt handle. Slam the butt stock on the ground. It won't hurt it. It won't fire that way. If that doesn't work, then dry the rod. If all else fails? Take it apart.

Comment

collapse the buttstock before striking it on the ground if you try that. The boltface shouldnt have wrapped around the lip, but you can see it if it did by the amount you say is stuck in the chamber.

Since this is a 6.8, i am assuming you have a gas block and not a front sight base, right?

Comment

Working...
                              X