Hill Country car question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hill Country car question

We've been relaxing in Leakey for a week now and in between Frio River floats we've been getting in some Harley time. East of Leakey on RR337 I saw 4 identical Malibu's with grill guards heading west. And yesterday I saw 4 identical Crown Victorias with the same grill guards heading east on RR337, while riding west of Leakey. Do any of you know what these cars are doing? I saw nothing special about any of the cars and there was only one person in each.

Some thought they could be storm chasers, but I wouldn't expect to see any in the Hill Country, and there were no extra do-dads on them besides the grill guards.

Homeland Security was in the Austin area this past week.

Its a ways but u never know with the Gov't.

Comment

I have seen these types of cars as well in the Hill Country but I have no idea what they were doing or where they were headed. I saw Crown Vics. This was about a year ago though.

Comment

It's my understanding they are testing tires for some company. I saw similar vehicles driving in a convoy almost daily in west Texas.

Comment

Test cars more than likely. Normally what they do is run different sets of tires, suspension or engine parts to see how they perform. Anybody who has hunted at the Quatro B has seen the track that's on the ranch. That was used for the same purpose. Not sure where that company has moved to though. Growing up in Medina county we saw them daily.

Comment

Probably Test cars. Could be tire test or vehicle reliability/longevity testing. We had a lease outside D'hanis one year,where they have a test track to drive. Cars on it pretty well 24/7.

Comment

They were running Chevy 2500s when we where there with the homemade brush gaurds. I couldn't figure it out

Comment

They are test cars for Southwest Research Institute in San Antonio.

Comment

There was always a bunch of similiar cars running together down a section of highway in front of the Bugscuffle ranch whenever I hunt there. They had a set pattern and drove it over and over. I was told they were testing transmissions.

Comment

I've seen them back in the early eighties.

Comment

Originally posted by Wampuscat View Post
                      We've been relaxing in Leakey for a week now and in between Frio River floats we've been getting in some Harley time. East of Leakey on RR337 I saw 4 identical Malibu's with grill guards heading west. And yesterday I saw 4 identical Crown Victorias with the same grill guards heading east on RR337, while riding west of Leakey. Do any of you know what these cars are doing? I saw nothing special about any of the cars and there was only one person in each.

Some thought they could be storm chasers, but I wouldn't expect to see any in the Hill Country, and there were no extra do-dads on them besides the grill guards.
                      I don't know the answer but I like this saying and fully understand.

Comment

Yep, test fleet vehicles.

Comment

Test vehicles. When I lived and worked out of Hondo they were all over IH-35 and the roads in the surrounding areas of Pearsall/Devine.

Comment

Test vehicles sounds like a pretty good theory.

Comment

Working...
                            X