New “hunting” book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
    As much as I hate poachers, I’m sure this is a fascinating book. I grew up listening to stories of my uncles running from game wardens and hopping fences and it’s always as funny as the first time I heard it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Interesting screen name you have there!

Comment

I'm 12 pages in and he definitely needed an editor. Let me know if you want me to pass it on and I will...

Comment

Originally posted by kumathebear View Post
        I'm amazed that ANYONE who hunts and considers themselves a "ethical, law abiding HUNTER," would even consider buying a BOOK from a self professed POACHER?? If you would give ANY poacher a break you're not someone I respect.....Nuff said! (To the OP...I realize you state you are NOT promoting this Wildlife Criminal so no offense intended.)
        And I guess your middle name is God and you call everyone you do not agree with on what they do as someone you do not respect. Thanks but no thanks, I do not need your assessment of myself.
        Better go look in the mirror!

Comment

Originally posted by UncleCharlie View Post
          I'm 12 pages in and he definitely needed an editor. Let me know if you want me to pass it on and I will...
          Yeah I'll take it. I'll pass it along to another TBHer when I'm done.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
            Yeah I'll take it. I'll pass it along to another TBHer when I'm done.
            I’ll take it after you

Comment

Would be nice if the ranches he poached from could file a civil suit and he never sees a dime of profits from this book.

Good stories or not, I don't understand HUNTERS sending money to a guy glorifying POACHING.

Comment

Originally posted by EZ-10RANCH View Post
                All the threads that are posted on TBH about how everyone hates a poacher. Then a poacher writes a book and people from this site are willing to buy it.... I don’t understand the logic behind that.

This dude sounds like a huge narcissistic ****** bag!!
                They only hate the poachers they chose to hate. Then they fall in love with other poachers here on TBH. I dont understand the logic either and you nailed one of them with your last statement.

Comment

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
                  I bought it and read it. I’ll add some additional points separate from mudslinger’s post above.
                  As a hunter I’m always interested to hear hunting stories, I just listen to a story and put my judgment aside. I watch television every day so I have to be able to do this not to mention I don’t have the emotional attachment to deer that some have.
                  First off the author needs to either get an editor or hire a better one as the book is sometimes painful to read. Aside from the grammar I think that you have to read the book from the perspective that it was a different time period and the deer hunting industry wasn’t an industry yet. The king ranch and Kennedy ranch were still, well, cattle ranches and that’s what took precedence. The deer were more of an afterthought and back then the rub from the ranches was more about the trespassing than the poaching, not to mention the egos of both the poacher, the ranch hands and ranch “security guys” as well as the game wardens.
                  The guy killed lots of deer and I can only imagine the animals he must have seen on those hunts. I’ve never been on the King ranch but I had the opportunity to quail hunt the Kennedy many years ago and from the time I stepped foot on the place all I could think about was how many and how big the deer were.
                  He was full of himself but his motivation for beginning to poach is something many of us deal with every year which is ridiculous costs of leases and the bureaucracy of deer hunting. Not justifying it just explaining his motives. There were lots of outlaws in that time period and he talks about it in the book. There were also lots of people that shared disdain for the Big ranches and I was surprised to see the name “Hiblers” in his book. for those of you that know that Falfurrius area you are familiar with Hiblers taxi and processing. I have several mounts on my wall from them. The book is more of a “highlight” clip than a real in depth book about poaching. He did eventually get caught and by the very reaction and resulting fines / punishment you can tell that it was less about the deer and more about the cat and mouse of it for everyone involved.
                  I don’t think anyone would attempt what he or the other poachers of that time did during that time period today, you would be put under the jail. Times have changed and now ranches are for deer hunting. It’s ironic that he was finally caught only because the game wardens set him up using another outlaw that was trying to get out of some trouble.

I could have spent $25 on beer and supported the evil market that is responsible for creating something that leads to many human deaths every year but I chose to spend it on a book about a bunch of animals that were illegally killed instead.

Pick your poison!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                  i was a different time? ok bud.
                  deer hunting wasnt and industry? yet the ranches had security, flew copters, and charged too much for hunting??

lol what a self described pog criminal. he thinks he was entitled to steal. id like to get to label his holdings as an after thought, and pile his things up, and burn them, just like he did to that venison.

Comment

Originally posted by Antlers86 View Post
                    Judging someone does not define who they are but who you are.
                    Truth!!

Comment

Someone scan it so we can all read for free!

Comment

Originally posted by crittergetter76 View Post
                        Would be nice if the ranches he poached from could file a civil suit and he never sees a dime of profits from this book.

Good stories or not, I don't understand HUNTERS sending money to a guy glorifying POACHING.
                        Would you pay someone to pass your truck for inspection even if you knew it wasn't legal/pass inspection?

Still illegal...

Let's not compare apples to bigger apples here.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun shooter View Post
                          If you’re talking about me let me tell you more of the story I started above. I wrote prior to this the in Oct I had a big buck poached from me. I have also had trespassers hunting on my property. Then to top all that off the past may I had someone cut through my fence, go onto my property and stole my 2 year old Polaris 570 crew. That was about another $15,000 stolen from me. I then had to go out and purchase and re-outfit another one. Sherrif and game wardens don’t seem to have any interest in attempting to solve any of it.

I have lost all patience for this kind of crap and will not tolerate even the hint of someone who does this kind of stuff. I get a lot more than just my panties in wad when this subject comes up. To think someone is going to profit from this kind of activity makes me want to explode.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

^^^

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Slayer View Post
                            Would you pay someone to pass your truck for inspection even if you knew it wasn't legal/pass inspection?

Still illegal...

nope, but maybe id go into your house, and take a few things that you dont really need. just because im a fan of irony.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Slayer View Post

Still illegal...

No sir I would not. It was offered at the last place I tried to have my inspection done at. (for $100) I told them no thanks, and drove my truck to my mechanic to be fixed.

And I won't ever do business with that place again. If they are willing to be dishonest in one instance I feel they will be dishonest in others as well.

I guess I don't get your apples to apples comparison comment. You'll have to explain further.

Comment

Originally posted by crittergetter76 View Post
                                No sir I would not. It was offered at the last place I tried to have my inspection done at. (for $100) I told them no thanks, and drove my truck to my mechanic to be fixed.

And I won't ever do business with that place again. If they are willing to be dishonest in one instance I feel they will be dishonest in others as well.

I guess I don't get your apples to apples comparison comment. You'll have to explain further.

You’re not going to get that comment because it means nothing. What he really means is if he decides to be dishonest he doesn’t want to be judged for it. But he will.

Comment

Working...
                                X