Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for those that travel for work.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At first I thought you wanna consider what she says. But if its only 4 nights a month, thats nothing. Ive been gone for 10 days at a time in China while ny wife was hone with our two year old and no family within 21 hrs by car. Make sure to stay in touch with her while travelling but thats not that bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
      Tell her to suck it up. You’re both making sacrifices for the better if the family. Why women or men think they are the only ones affected by these types of things, is beyond me. It’s not like you’re doing this to get out of daily activities/duties at home.
      I agree with 99% of you’re post but you know this is not accurate. Every woman is different and some are capable some are not. I am very fortunate that I have been given a very self sufficient one that handles her business and everything associated with it.
      It totally depends on you’re spouse but with three young kiddos that is a challenge. I have traveled 3-4 days a week for the last 10-12 years so I can completely understand. It takes the”right” person so take that for what it’s worth.

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
        I travel quite a bit and have many colleagues with which I travel. None of them have wives that have adjusted to them being gone if they weren't comfortable originally. As my wife put it, you are either ok with it or you're not. If you are meeting resistance now, odds are it'll be a constant battle.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
        This is spot on.

Comment

My wife has done great with my work travels, although it was definitely harder on her when our kids were younger. She always managed to pick up the slack when I was gone. That said, I don’t think I would’ve been able to do it if the roles were reversed. We got a regular cleaning lady last year and it helped take a big load off her back and made me happier coming home to a spotless house. My job has always been demanding to the point I can’t take off for sick kids, holidays, etc and hers provided a lot of flexibility. I would think twice about it if your wife can’t afford to miss work often or your parents/inlaws can’t come over on a moments notice, with 3 kids there will be many days they need someone home with them.

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
            This is where I’m at with it.

4 days a month is nothing.
            I am with you guys on this one. 4 nights a month is on the low side for a high paying job. I used to travel 1-4 days a week when I was first hired. That has slowed to around 2-4 days a month at this time. However, now I have international travel/calls to factor in and, frankly, I hate that. As you climb the ladder at my place comes the longer flights and con calls for EMEA and APJ that go well into the night. I met my wife while on a business trip to my hometown so she knew my job requirements up front and it worked. Most of my guys live out of a suitcase and I have seen relationships crumble because of it, both on the travelers side and home front. Both missing the companionship.

If your relationship cannot weather the short term storm for the long term family stability, something else is up. That's all I have. Gooduck with your decision! [emoji848]

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by myway View Post
              I agree with 99% of you’re post but you know this is not accurate. Every woman is different and some are capable some are not. I am very fortunate that I have been given a very self sufficient one that handles her business and everything associated with it.

It totally depends on you’re spouse but with three young kiddos that is a challenge. I have traveled 3-4 days a week for the last 10-12 years so I can completely understand. It takes the”right” person so take that for what it’s worth.

As a dude who’s wife traveled 3-4 days a week from the time I was 25 to 31 I flat out said I’m not interested in raising a child on my own. She was and still is very career oriented and just started traveling again but only 3 to 4 days per month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Tell her to suck it up. You’re both making sacrifices for the better if the family. Why women or men think they are the only ones affected by these types of things, is beyond me. It’s not like you’re doing this to get out of daily activities/duties at home.

This here is a fact

Also. A job that you don't like can be detrimental to your health in the long run

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I wish I was HOME 4 nights a month....

4 nights away is nothing.

Comment

Go for it man!!

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                      I would work from home ALWAYS except when traveling. There would always be some commitment of travel I think at all levels of the org.
                      Wait you would work from HOME all but 4 days a month? I think that most anyone would love to have that flexibility and trade off. You don't know how lucky you and your wife are that you have that option.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                        I wish I was HOME 4 nights a month....

4 nights away is nothing.
                        I was gone 194 days last year

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
                          Wait you would work from HOME all but 4 days a month? I think that most anyone would love to have that flexibility and trade off. You don't know how lucky you and your wife are that you have that option.
                          This is exactly what I was thinking... she works from home most afternoons. We don’t have dedicated office space, so it might be a tad cramped, but I think there are also some alternative arrangements I’m considering

Comment

shoot I would love to find a job that lets me travel a few days out of the month or so. I used to travel around the country and was gone the majority of the year. I wouldn't want to do that and leave my little girl growing up without me, but I would like to get to get out and have a change of pace every now and then

Comment

It’s really going to depend on you and your wife’s personality. I’m gone for 1-2 week trips ever other month and it’s hard on my wife but we make it work. The job and pay better be worth it though.

Comment

Yeah don't worry about all the football games that you will miss or the volleyball games suck it up and miss out and never get that time back. But just think you can drive a new truck.

Comment

Working...
                                X