No announcement yet.

Jack Russell nipping advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think having him fixed will solve the problem. You're gonna have to get a little more stern with him. Doesn't sound like he's one to get rid of though. Dogs actually want to do things that make you happy. You just have to find a way to let them know what you want or don't want.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

When my 10 yoa JRT was just a puppy, he loved to play fight with me and my wife. Only thing, he would take it too far. He wanted to bite and nip at us when we got the best of him. JRT's are highly intelligent dogs. Both our arms were always cut up from his biting. We got him down on the bed one evening and both of us laid on him after one of his biting episodes. We pinned him down to where he could not move but we were not hurting him. We held him down for about 20 minutes and he could not move. He screamed and hollered bloody murder till he figured out he was not in control. It became clear to him that he was not the alpha dog he thought he was. There would be only one big dog in our house and that was me. That turned the trick for him. A lot of hunters like JRT's because of the spunk they have and it is OK for them to have it but just not with humans.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
        I don't know. "Time Out" is where my kids went to cry about the *** spanking they got.
        hell yes, I know that's right!

Comment

Get him fixed, let him get healed up then show him who's the Alpha

If snapping or biting happens again after that, a choke hold-back flip-choke hold him on the ground move, a few smacks and scream "NO" at him until you see the fear of God in the dog's eyes will get your Alpha point across. Ever watched dogs fight? The one that pins his opponent is the Alpha. A "stern talking to" won't get anything accomplished.... Or hump him until he pees

Severe actions deserve severe punishments. Is a nip a full on attack? no... but it's the same as pulling a gun on someone vs shooting someone. If a dog is man enough to skin that smoke wagon, then he's man enough to pull the trigger. He's testing the waters with you to see what he can get away with. Put him in his place, NOW!

Get that **** nipped in the bud quick, fast and in a hurry. Keep the dog away from others and especially kids until it can be trusted.

Comment

Originally posted by MasonCo. View Post
            My JRT just snapped at my wife

He was chewing some paper and she told him no and reached down to get it and he snapped and growled at her. I hate to have to get rid of him so I'm looking for suggestions to get that corrected I chewed his butt out pretty good after he did it. Will getting him neutered help?
            My dogs barley let another dog sniff their butts, so I could only imagine how irritable it makes that little guy to have a grown man chewing on his terd cutter......

Comment

I'm a dog person big time... volunteer, rescue, rehab...etc.

A dog that bites gets his card punched. Period.

Comment

Sounds like he is the alpha in your house. He will keep it up until you remedy that. Cutting his nuts wont change his mind either if he still thinks he's the boss.

The guys that recommend rolling them onto their backs know what they are talking about. I have had to do that with all 3 of my JRT's to establish the pecking order.

Comment

There is only one solution:

Comment

My Rat Terrier (mix) bit at my very young daughter ONCE. He never did it again. When the kids are petting him he just looks at me with his ears drooped, he never forgot that evening.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                      dying

Comment

Originally posted by jrfan View Post
                        I have smacked the crap out of him and he snaps a growls when I do that.
                        Then you aren't doing it right...or for long enough. Grab him by the collar all at once, and beat his *** till he can't growl anymore. Think shock and awe....

Sounds harsh, but it's that or the needle...
                        Last edited by Dale Moser; 06-18-2018, 12:43 PM.

Comment

I quit half way through this thread. I just lost a lot of respect for quite a few people on here. Beating dogs to train them is the laziest way to train them.

Comment

dog

Originally posted by Terry View Post
                            Neuter and shock collar
                            Ha!!!!!!! That does not work mine has both. We have learned you do not mess with him when he is eating. End of story.
                            I can take stuff out of his mouth when we play ball no problems

Comment

dog

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                              Then you aren't doing it right...or for long enough. Grab him by the collar all at once, and beat his *** till he can't growl anymore. Think shock and awe....

Sounds harsh, but it's that or the needle...
                              ill give you a 100 bucks if you do that to mine that ain't going to happen

Comment

mine is very head strong and I love him to death. Just don't jack with him when he is eating or when he recovers an animal. He found over 20 animals for me last year and wouldn't have it any other way. Even if I shoot an animal and drop it I drop him off a 100 yards or so from the animal and tell him to find it and he will best dog I have ever had and he is part of the family.

Comment

Working...
                                X