Tankless hot water heater ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buff View Post
    Propane is killing me, about $400.00 a month right now.
    I believe the hot water heater is the main culprit as it is 12 years old and every time I check it it is running.
    I figured the tank-less heater was a more efficient system but that is why I asked.
    Wow... that's a lot of propane. 12 years old or not, that doesn't add up.

Consumer Reports put the annual savings at $70-$80 per year... yep, less than $7/month. Economically it makes no sense... it's all about running out of hot water if that's an issue for you.

Originally posted by Mike View Post
    Locally, we have had quite a few pipes/connections break at the unit during the last cold spell. Those units were in attics.

What about use in a shop/outdoor kitchen and pool bathroom/shower? Would you still do conventional? I was thinking tankless due to sparse usage but maybe conventional is the way to go?
    Freezing and pipe breaks are more of a problem with tankless because they don't stay hot and people put them in creative places, including outside.
    A small, under-counter conventional unit is how I handle those applications... on a switch so you can turn it on/off easily. Tankless like to be used regularly.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
      Wow... that's a lot of propane. 12 years old or not, that doesn't add up.

Consumer Reports put the annual savings at $70-$80 per year... yep, less than $7/month. Economically it makes no sense... it's all about running out of hot water if that's an issue for you.

Freezing and pipe breaks are more of a problem with tankless because they don't stay hot and people put them in creative places, including outside.
      A small, under-counter conventional unit is how I handle those applications... on a switch so you can turn it on/off easily. Tankless like to be used regularly.
      I agree with what you wrote but a good tank less model has freeze protection features. Doesn't cover everything but helps. Still a fan of nothing plumbing in the attic personally but water heaters in attics are so common on modern new home construction. Job security I suppose.

Comment

632.40 from Builders FirstSource

Comment

Eco Smart 27KW

Comment

Had mine 10 year's love it

Comment

I don't own one but do work for a wholesale distributor that sells a crap ton of tankless heaters. From that standpoint I'd advise not going electric. Our gas (LP and NG) sales compared to electric are hand over fist.

Comment

Working...
              X