No announcement yet.

Cutco knifes any thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bought a couple of Morakniv's. Inexpensive, very sharp. Have not cleaned a deer yet, so not sure how they hold up. doing very well in the kitchen with the carbon steel one. Have not had to sharpen yet.

Comment

I have the serrated edge hunting knife. It was a gift. Like it to cut hide round the legs of hogs. Ain't much for a skinner but it's a good knife. I sharpen as needed.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

I go the Cutco fishing knife (fillet knife) as a gift. It's been an awesome blade and I've still yet to sharpen it after butchering about 7 deer or so. Keeps an edge better than any other knife I own, including my Henckels.

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
          I have a box cutter, I am kinda looking for a knife to slice through tough chest plates, and large size stuff
          Then get the Cutco serrated hunting knife. Mine has the orange grip. I have every custom knife under the sun and the Cutco is easily the best for going thru the rib cage (although, I don’t mess with splitting the rib cage anymore). You will really like the knife and just send it back in if it ever gets dull.

Comment

I've got the serrated hunting knife -- it's probably 25 years old and I've never bothered to send it back to them, but I hate it compared to just about any of my other knives.

Some chick I dated in college sold them and gave me one as a gift.

Give me a Stic, a Buck, or a Havalon any day over that gimmick.

Comment

Have had the bright orange handle serrated blade "hunting" knife for the last 15 years always use it on the rib cage part of field dressing push down and in goes through all of them with ease everytime.

Sooo if it is "cheap steel" I bet expensive steel would go through bones without even touching them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Seay View Post
                Have had the bright orange handle serrated blade "hunting" knife for the last 15 years always use it on the rib cage part of field dressing push down and in goes through all of them with ease everytime.

Sooo if it is "cheap steel" I bet expensive steel would go through bones without even touching them

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
                There's no "if". It's absolutely 440A stainless. Cheap steel. If you like it great, but it's cheap steel and there's absolutely no reason it costs as much as it does. Buy any cheap 440A knife and you're getting the same thing. There is absolutely nothing special about a cutco to demand the high cost.

And there's so much more to cleaning an animal than cutting through the sternum while gutting. Serrated knives are horrible for everything but that. Knives aren't made to go through bone. Saws are made to go through bone. Saws aren't made to cut flesh, knives are

Comment

Cutco knifes any thoughts

This is the Best blade on the planet FOR THE MONEY.. I couldn't begin to tell you how many animals I've skinned with one. I've wore the blade completely OUT on at least 2.
                  Now they run about $100. I used to buy them for $40, 25 years ago..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by PondPopper; 01-23-2018, 12:24 AM.

Comment

This one has cleaned a few animals

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

I've got a set of wuthof knives in the kitchen. they aint cheap but they stay razor sharp for months

Comment

Love mine for skinning. Also they stopped selling the keychain one that had scissors and etc. I've had mine for ever on my key chain. Best little knife for whatever.

Comment

Regarding not having to sharpen cutco knives: they're serrated. Serrated knives work by ripping and tearing through by using a bunch of pointed edges, the actual sharpness is of secondary importance. A hand saw isn't very sharp either, but cuts through wood just fine. It also doesn't make the cleanest cuts because of the rip action (one of several reasons why you never see cutcos used by professional chefs).

And yea, 440A isn't the best knife steel. They could've used 440C with a higher carbon content to get a harder blade. Personally I prefer VG-10 or carbon steel for kitchen knives, and just about any steel developed by Crucible for hunting knives like S30V, or 154CM.

But hey, if you like it, whatever works for you.

Comment

Love mine

Comment

Cutco has been around a long time, and I have had mine for well over 10 years, I even have one that was my Moms, great quality..........

Comment

We purchased the whole set for the kitchen, & the sales rep threw in two hunting knives, one drop point & one with gut hook, plus the fillet knife...all three with my initials engraved on them..........All I can say is, make the investment, lifetime warranty & sharpening. you will be pleased

Comment

Working...
                                X