No announcement yet.

Question: Tikka 243 tight chamber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not safe - increases chamber pressure - to what level that determines what's safe - do you reload? Pull the bullets and resize them see if it fixes it

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
      I got the Superformance to close and after a few it became smoother. The Winchester will close but is marked up...see below. Is this safe?

[ATTACH]861663[/ATTACH]

Given where it is contacting I would think not safe

Comment

Those are all 243 right - just playing devils advocate - I shot a bunch of 7mm-08 in a 308 once - couldn't figure out why they wouldn't print - duh

PS - don't tell my buddies - lol

Comment

Yes, all 243.

I don't reload

Comment

Is your dealer you bought this from close - he should be able to help you out - could be a liability issue for him and the manufacturer if corrected -

Comment

Take the ammo with you when you go

Comment

I would pull the bullets in the two that don't fit and see if they are in specs. I'm guessing they are not, because barrels are built "better" than ammo. If brass was in spec, I would be contacting Tikka

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                  Interesting...saami regs should take care of this.

Would be interesting to know if the rounds would close if the bullet was removed or seated deeper. Maybe tikka has very short throats & it's the engaging of the lands & not the case itself??
                  This is my first thought also: short throat!
                  But if it is the chamber and after looking at the pics it definitely may be I would want it looked at by the manufacture/gun smith because as stated pressure increases could be unsafe.

I would think if it was the throat you would be seeing marks on the lead bullet from the rifling not marks on the brass case.

Comment

Well the plot thickens. I pulled out several of the Winchesters....they all have the same marks on the neck straight from the box. Perhaps it is an ammo issue
                    Last edited by TxAg; 07-07-2017, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Chamber mold would answer a lot

Comment

I've had this problem with Superformance ammo in 2 rifles. Not tikka...but same issue.
                        Also heard it from someone else.

Comment

I have a crimp die for my 223/556 and it leaves a very similar crimp mark - just never saw a crimp mark on much factory ammo - but these are different times

Comment

And a go no go die

Comment

Take a candle and carbon up the projectile on one of the rounds that chambers ok - then chamber it and remove it - see if you see any land marks from the rifling - that will help with the short throat thoery

Comment

Are all those exactly the same size in your picture? Maybe you should reload better.

Comment

Working...
                                X