30-06 or 300 WM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

30-06 or 300 WM

We are beginning our annual Colorado elk hunt in 2016. Given that, I do not have a large caliber rifle. I have hunted elk before but only with a bow.

I have a 270wsm that I would be more than comfortable taking an elk with but this seems like a good enough reason to get another rifle

I have never owned a 30-06 (it sounds sad to even say that!).

My thought is a 30-06 is a great all around caliber but a 300 Win Mag would be all I would ever need but not something I want to take out and shoot often....

I will NOT put a break on a gun. I do have several suppressor but 24-26" barrels become ridiculously long with a can on them......

300 WM if you want a new rifle that's a blast to shoot. 270 wsm will do the job just fine. But I can't say much about using what you got because I bought a 300 RUM for elk when I already have a few .30 and .284 cal rifles that are up to the task

Comment

With a 270wsm already in the safe the 300 would cover a larger gap and has multiple ammo options readily available. The 30-06 is an awesome round hands down, but the performance of the 300 makes it a winner! Can't go wrong either way, get what you desire And never look back!!

Comment

300 WM, coming from someone who just went with a 270. 99% of my shots would be over 300 yards, straight on to quartering to with a VERY high shot angle.

Comment

If I were going elk hunting and didn't need to shoot the gun for much other than, I'd go 300Win all the way

Comment

300 RUM, check it out!!! 3 different levels of shooting, very versatile. Good Luck

Comment

Your WSM is fine for elk, but I am a huge fan of the .300! I have a .300WSM and love the heck out of it and I don't have a can on it, I find it very manageable and accurate.

Comment

Win mag all the way...

Buy a gun with some heft and NOT a Monte carlo stock and it wont beat you up nearly as bad as you think. Stock shape and fit makes a BIG difference

300 is a heck of a good LOOOONG range gun...

I'm just not an '06 fan...

If you have 300 capable suppressors you might as well get it threaded, yeah they are long, but they are worth it... Especially if you shoot steel at all, makes a lot more comfortable day

Comment

You must have every angle of gear covered with some pretty good stuff if a new gun that'll do the same thing as one you already have is next on the purchase list.

Comment

Comment

You can walk into any outdoor store in the country and buy 30-06 ammo. Probably the only real benefit over the 300WM.

Comment

300 Win Mag.

I bet in elk country 300 win mag Ammo can be found just as easily as 30.06.

Comment

It depends on how recoil sensitive you are. There's a decent amount of difference between the two. With the good bullets available today you would do fine with the 30-06. I shot my last two with a 7mm STW. Both dropped in their tracks. Any medium caliber gun will work if you put the bullet in the right place.

Comment

What M16 said. Its all in how you manage your recoil cause if you cant hit it...it isn't much good to you!
                            My first rifle was an '06, my rifle of choice nowadays is my Winnie!

Comment

.300 Win Mag. My .300 has been my go-to rifle since I purchased it in 1977.

Comment

Working...
                              X