Self Defense AR Ammo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Self Defense AR Ammo

What ammo do you keep loaded in your mags for self defense in your truck AR.

FMJ
    Bonded
    Steel core

And why one over the other?

Hornady TAP 5.56 barrier rounds. 55gr gmx bullet. Works well for hunting pigs/deer and SD with a tough bullet and great penetration.

If I was really worried about overpenetration through walls (even though almost any 5.56/.223 round will be better than a pistol or suitable shotgun loading) I'd use the 69gr SMKs I have.

Rounds like xm193 and ss109 will certainly work, but are very velocity dependent to yaw and fragment vs the controlled expansion of a good bonded softpoint or hollowpoint rounds.

Comment

XM193

I have a ton of it and I don't have to worry about over penetration. I like the "tumble effect" of the XM193.

Comment

I'd be looking at a 45grn vmax.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
          I'd be looking at a 45grn vmax.
          I used to be LE, a neighboring PD had an officer get in a shootout where the 55gr vmax rounds they used were stopped by a car door. The suspect shot the officer in the head through the trunk of the cruiser as the officer was getting another mag.

Varmint bullets are for varmints.

Comment

Winchester ranger 64 grain

Comment

55gr sp

Comment

Originally posted by mcfactory7 View Post
                I used to be LE, a neighboring PD had an officer get in a shootout where the 55gr vmax rounds they used were stopped by a car door. The suspect shot the officer in the head through the trunk of the cruiser as the officer was getting another mag.

Varmint bullets are for varmints.
                So they don't penetrate walls and doors? Sounds like a great HD bullet.

Comment

What ever is in there.
                  Most likely FMJs.

When I think self defense, an AR doesn't generally pop into mind unless it's SHTF scenario.
                  Self defense Ammo, HPs are the way to go.
                  ARs are for getting things done. And if I find myself in a situation where I need to get things done with my AR, I want a bullet with as much penetration as I can find.
                  Last edited by Mac...; 11-17-2015, 12:59 PM.

Comment

I'm not LEO or Military so a self defense round for an AR for me would depend on the scenerios i might find myself in. A shoot out in a parking lot might not be considered self defense. Being carjacked or robbed at my vehicle would be grounds for multiple holes in the perps face. But now trying to get my AR out to defend myself presents an obstacle to overcome.

Say an unwanted intruder shows up in my living room. Reloaded .223 62grn hollow point loaded with the lightest load data in the book works great. Slows the heavy bullet down so that the mushroom effect gets max efficiency. Thats how i see it.

Comment

Rounds that have very poor penetration will not be a great choice for defensive use against people. You don't necessarily need a barrier type round, but choosing something that doesn't meet FBI minimums in ballistic gel is widely regarded as a poor choice, whether talking, rifle, pistol, or shotgun ammo.

Comment

Not for home defense. He is asking about an AR to be carried in your truck.

Comment

Originally posted by whitetailtrail View Post
                          Not for home defense. He is asking about an AR to be carried in your truck.
                          Self defense AR for your truck? I'm not the smartest cookie in the jar. Can someone give me scenarios where i would use an AR carried in my truck for self defense and not get arrested? I'm not being confrontational at all. I'm all about shooting bad guys in the face, but how do i stay out of jail doing so?

Comment

Originally posted by Dejashoot View Post
                            What ammo do you keep loaded in your mags for self defense in your truck AR.

FMJ
                            Bonded
                            Steel core

And why one over the other?
                            If you can get your hands on some, Federal LE Tactical Bonded 62gr.

Why? Because it holds together and penetrates through most common barriers including windshield glass and has great expasion without fragmenting.

Close the thread.

Comment

Originally posted by jackster1978 View Post
                              Self defense AR for your truck? I'm not the smartest cookie in the jar. Can someone give me scenarios where i would use an AR carried in my truck for self defense and not get arrested? I'm not being confrontational at all. I'm all about shooting bad guys in the face, but how do i stay out of jail doing so?
                              Why would an AR cause you to go to jail where another firearm would not?

Comment

Working...
                              X