Do you trust your cars "Distance to Empty"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you trust your cars "Distance to Empty"

Someone I know lives and breaths by it, if the gauge says 10 miles till empty they truly believe they can drive 8 before having to get gas.

Personally, the lowest I take it is when the fuel light comes on (usually my comp says 30 miles till empty).

Was just wondering if trusting the computer is a trend?

Mine went to zero..Then it bumps up to 6 and back to zero..then bumps up to 6.. Not sure if it would do it again as I found gas at that point. My wife was freaking out

Comment

My truck doesn't even trust itself. When it drops below 40 or so, it'll simply read "low" lol In other words, "Get gas, dips***!"

Comment

it is a piece of information, use it for what it is worth

Comment

I have taken two different vehicles past zero. One, only a couple miles, the other about 20 miles. I was sweating both times. From those two experiences, I believe there is a little bit of safeguard built into the system.

Bisch

Comment

My girlfriend's mom trusts hers. She swears to us that it is on the conservative side and she can drive the exact miles it says, and she has gotten home before with it saying "0 mile range". All it takes is the gauge to fail once and she will be stuck on the highway out of gas.

My opinion is don't trust it, not to the extent that you are pushing running on fumes. Then again when I get to 1/8 tank I fill up.

Comment

My buddy did once in his Ford Focus while on a vacation trip in Colorado. He walked several miles to get gas.
              I typically get fuel once going below 1/4 tank. At one time it was suggested not running low on fuel all the time as the fuel helped keep the fuel pump cool and extends the life of the pump.

Comment

My 4Runner has about 20+ left after zero (been there), so I trust it to zero without reservation.

Comment

My friends truck will leave him on the side of the road at 90 miles until empty. I have never seen mine on, I fill up a 1/4 of a tank for emergency purposes. My wife likes to keep hers below 1/4 tank.

Comment

Most of them calculate how far you can go based on the gas that's left and your MPG average for the last 20 miles. My truck just has a light, which I figured out comes on with about 2 gallons left.

Comment

Looks like a Seinfeld episode. See "how far below the 'E' you can go".

Comment

I put a 5 gal. can in the back and test it when I buy a new vehicle. After that, I find its easier to drive on the top half of the tank. Besides, my wife would never let me live it down if I ran out of gas!!!

Comment

I've tested it many times! Said zero last week and I was 8 miles from Kaufman! I rolled in easy to Brookshires. When I filled up I still had 1/2 gallon according to what it took to top off.

This was while I was towing a heavy load as well!
                          Attached Files

Comment

IMO...if the light comes on you've waited to long to get gas. My wife lives by her fuel range number. I get in her car for anything and the gas light is on. I'll call her and tell her that her gas light is on and she says the fuel range still says 35 miles. SMH....

Comment

I've pushed it, my light comes on and there is still a couple gallons in the tank.

Comment

Working...
                              X