An ongoing cancer support thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by catslayer View Post
    Feel free to pm me if you have any questions or want to talk about anything.

I was diagosed with ewings sarcoma february of last year. I had major back surgery to remove the tumor from my spine, then proton radation. Then intrethecal chrmo(chemo injected into your brain) then a port, and have had 4 other kinds of chemo since then. Finished a cycle tuesday... i handled most of the other chemos pretty well. This one makes me TIRED, and lets just say i live off miralax. I had been getting some hair back but this last round took care of that.

Overall my ride has NOT been NEARLY as bad as some ppl ive met... yeah i had a couple bouts with miningitis due to an infected port. But ive not had the constant nausea some ppl do... heck i GAINED weight on chemo(dang steroids).

That said, yes it sucks, but getting your heas around it accepting its your row to hoe is a big part of it. You dont gotta like it. I sure as $#!+ dont...

The first couple months is a weird time... you kind of go through kind of the stages of mourning. And dont rush that, keep your head up and work through

Holler if need to chat... or want to grab a beer. Not sure where your located but i travel quite a lot

Same goes with anybody with the C
    And prayers up
    Thanks for the insight Cat.You hit the nail on the head with the statement of
    "Stages of Mourning" that's Exactly where I am at today...I have my bad moments and ******-off moments but I am going to fight this as long as I am breathing..I am in DFW (Bedford) if anybody ever needs to chat..

E

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Pence View Post
      Thanks for the insight Cat.You hit the nail on the head with the statement of
      "Stages of Mourning" that's Exactly where I am at today...I have my bad moments and ******-off moments but I am going to fight this as long as I am breathing..I am in DFW (Bedford) if anybody ever needs to chat..

E
      Eric, I realize you're talking to Cat, not to me. But we're all in the same foxhole.

Beginning the day of my diagnosis, I reached deep into my memory for something I once read years ago:

"The last of human freedoms is to determine one's own attitude under any given set of circumstances". The statement was written by a holocaust victim during WWII while in a concentration camp.

And I recite it to myself each morning as I face the day.

I'm in Midlothian...
      Bob Lee

Comment

Prayers up.

Comment

Thanks for signing in boblee. It's great to hear from you as well as the others who are having to deal with this dreaded disease. As a fellow TBH member I consider it an honor and a privilege to lift you all up in prayer. Thank you all for the opportunity. I hope each of you get to hunt this fall as it is fast coming upon us. Please keep us posted. Each of your attitudes are incredible.

Comment

Well, after being free for a while, scans show tumor active on my t7 vertebrae. Setting up precision radiation, then probable spine surgery. Already have the backside stabilized, most likely will remove lots or all of the vertebrae, cage it from the front side. Not looking forward to this. This will be the third hunting season screwed up because of this, but its better than the alternative. Worst part is not being able to get my 12 yr. old grandson anyplace to get his first deer.

Comment

I had my second immunotherapy today. Had to suspend it while I healed from a second lymph node dissection surgery. I am having some adverss reactions but it is supposed to be good medicine.

Comment

stickbow, what immuno are you taking? I am on opdivo. No side effects, and 3 small tumors have went away. Infusions every 2 weeks for about 15 months, then we are doing one every 4 weeks now. Twice as much per infusion.

Comment

Well, I'm in my third week of radiation treatment for oral cancer. I dipped snuff for 40 years and never thought it would get me but boy was I wrong. I had quit about 3 years ago and thought I had it made. I was so wrong. I bit my cheek and it wouldn't heal. Finally went to the dentist and he did a biopsy and it turned out to be cancer. I've had surgery, skin graph inside my cheek and now am going through radiation. All I can say is the best dip of snuff was never worth the pain I'm going through now. If you're a snuff dipper or chew please consider quitting today. Your family will appreciate it and in the long run so will you.

Comment

An acquaintance of mine told of his struggle with it just this year. He told how even as a kid he grew up tough and wasn’t scared of anything. Got into many fistfights growing up and later as an adult. He had been a cowboy on large ranches outside TX just like I had. Said he had ridden broncs and bulls in rodeos. Nothing seemed to really get to him. But earlier this year he felt the need to go in for a medical checkup. He never mentioned if there were symptoms. Tests were needed to determine what was going on. When the results later came back, he said that tough guy that everyone had known just disappeared. Said he had never been so scared in all his life. The fear was so crippling that he stayed in bed for two or three days. Couldn’t work, nothing. Didn’t leave the house for anything. He just couldn’t function at all hardly. Last I heard, he said that the treatments were successful and he’s cancer free. He’s upbeat and determined to keep on enjoying life.
                    Last edited by Worksalot; 09-06-2018, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Prayers up again for all of you. I truly feel for you. Cancer runs deep in my family, and my chances of getting it are high which makes it all hit even closer to home.

Comment

Yall keep your head up - hope all is well!

Comment

Prayers up!

Comment

Originally posted by boblee View Post
                            Eric, I realize you're talking to Cat, not to me. But we're all in the same foxhole.

Beginning the day of my diagnosis, I reached deep into my memory for something I once read years ago:

"The last of human freedoms is to determine one's own attitude under any given set of circumstances". The statement was written by a holocaust victim during WWII while in a concentration camp.

And I recite it to myself each morning as I face the day.

I'm in Midlothian...
                            Bob Lee
                            That is a Great Quote....My quote that I go back to is this ....I will refuse to just give up..If I am dying I am going to go out fighting it every step of the way.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Man, reading through this thread is a real gut punch!! I pray for healing for each and every one of you. I pray for comfort for you and your families. I watched as my sister died a horrible death from 40 years of cigarettes... She quit, but the damage apparently had been done...

God give each and every one of you peace, comfort and healing...

Comment

The news of Eric Pence had me thinking about BobLee. He hasn't signed on in months. Any one know if he's ok?

Comment

Working...
                                X