No announcement yet.

North Dakota??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dang Biggs, are those from public land???

I knew an air force guy that was stationed there. He had a funny saying, "Why not Minot? Freezin is the reason" lol. Can't be any worse than 109 degree summers down here that last ten months.

Comment

I worked a year in Williston in '81/'82. Met my wife and married there. I was working six and seven day weeks so not much time for extracurricular activities that didn't include a bar. If I could, I would split my year between ND and Texas. The winters are brutal and can be dangerous, but the summers are great ! I remember one blizzard in particular where we were about 30 miles from town. I was contacted on the radio and told to wrap it up and get to town but we were in a situation that couldn't be left until it was finished. We worked until the blizzard hit and then had to make the 30 mile trip, about 1/3 of it on township roads. I could barely see off the hood of my Bronco. It was a loooong 30 miles ! That said, you can't dig ditch in ground frozen 5' deep, so we didn't work between the 1st of January until about the 20th of February. ( I almost made a first class alcoholic in that time. You can't do anything outside, so I followed Merle's advice, I just stayed there and drank. )

As someone else said, when it thawed, it was the nastiest place I've ever lived. Imagine two inches of mud over frozen ground. Slipping and sliding on wheels or on foot. I wore four buckle overshoes every day during the thaw and never took my Bronco's hubs out. It's almost impossible to keep your ride clean as it freezes solid every night until it really starts to thaw. If you don't have a block heater and plug it in every night, your ride ain't gonna commence at dark-thirty in the morning when it's -25* either. I carried two sleeping bags, an extra large candle and a big cup to melt snow in case I was stranded. A Hershey bar that looked like a 2x6 plank completed my company furnished "survival kit ", but I carried other stuff also. The threat of hypothermia is real, and I didn't ignore it. I had my entire beard iced up more than once just working on the outside of my travel trailer.

That all said, the country folks are great people, the city folks are trying to squeeze you for your last dollar, just like most anywhere else, and it's beautiful country with a great climate........nine months out of the year. Have fun !

Comment

Loved North Dakota, but Minot is craphole....At least when the oilfield is booming. Lots of hunting and fishing opportunities for all kinds of game.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
          Dang Biggs, are those from public land???

I knew an air force guy that was stationed there. He had a funny saying, "Why not Minot? Freezin is the reason" lol. Can't be any worse than 109 degree summers down here that last ten months.

Every one of them! All public land stuff. Tons of hunting open.

But the winters.... brutal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the Info guys ended up taken another job in williston ND. Should be headed up that way in a month or so!!

Comment

You mean God's Country??! I lived in ND for 25 years. It has outstanding hunting and fishing and a ton of public land to hunt on. You can't beat the summer's and fall up there but if you're not a cold weather guy then leave by Thanksgiving or you'll find out what cold really is. I still have a bro up in Bismarck and go back to Ice fish for a week every January. Can't believe I use to live up there in the winters for that long. You're a short drive from Canada too which is a fun place to go. Great people up there I was just tired of the snow and cold for 5-6 months a year.

Comment

Minot ND is the coldest place I have ever been!!! -75 F. Thank god I was just there for a few days for training. Why not Minot? Freezing is the reason! Back then I was hunting deer with two legs and it was slim pickings there.....

Comment

Lock your valuables up in Williston. That town is crappy as well. Lots to do outside of town though.

Comment

Buy Now

Buy a lifetime license now. If you come back and hunt TX at least 3 times you'll pretty much make your money back.

Comment

Originally posted by denimdeerslayer View Post
                      Minot ND is the coldest place I have ever been!!! -75 F. Thank god I was just there for a few days for training. Why not Minot? Freezing is the reason! Back then I was hunting deer with two legs and it was slim pickings there.....
                      I actually did some cold weather training up there a few years back, definitely the coldest I've been, and some of the work will be in that area .

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
                        Buy a lifetime license now. If you come back and hunt TX at least 3 times you'll pretty much make your money back.
                        Disabled vet brother! Free combo!

Comment

Working...
                        X