Going the distance... (trad)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to be clear, I'm talking mainly traditional bowhunting here, but some of does apply to any kind of shooting really.

Distance. How far is too far? How close is enough? These seem to be a couple of the big questions that come up when we talk about taking shots on critters.

I'm curious how folks make their shooting distance decisions when shooting on critters... does it matter which critter? Its size? your accuracy at each distance? Your desire to finally bag a critter?

For me there are a lot of factors... and they seem to change based on my state of mind and experiences.

I'll take a long shot on some rabbits, but not on others. I probably will have a hard time taking shots longer than 15 yards on any WT in the foreseeable future... even 15 might be too long. I prefer shots on hogs at 15 or less... but given the situation... a 20 yard shot is not out of the question. I have taken a 20 yard shot on a turkey... probably won't do that again. They are actually pretty small targets, but not too small that a miss won't land you in any trouble. Most long shots on squirrels/rabbits are a miss or a hit. A hit on a rabbit is almost a guaranteed recovery as long as you are not scared to use your boot.

Desperation is a weird factor that has played a role. But that doesn't always mean a long shot is taken. If I am desperate for a confidence boost, I will wait for a sure thing and get the close shot. Unfortunately, there is no such thing... as a sure thing. I think that is what played a role in my most recent, long shot. I took a 24 yard shot on a javi in the depths of the worst string of bad luck since I've picked up a bow. I knew it was 24 yards. I didn't think I could get closer without getting busted... and I took the shot with certainty that I would hit and kill it. The only doubt I had in my mind was whether or not I would recover it. If sure things aren't sure things... than need I focus on what could go wrong... again? Somehow I suppressed that thought. Maybe I was desperate... but I felt too comfortable. My body was at ease. I was focused. Oddly enough, after taking that shot... in the past few weeks, I've been shooting lights out at 20-24 yards. I typically struggle there. I'm sure dropping an critter at 24 and recovering it helps. But it seems if I don't worry about what it means to miss, I seem to miss less. But I find that hard to do on certain animals or certain situations. And it is odd... I certainly cared about missing on that Javi and how I would feel about it going into it. There was a lot... and I mean a lot riding on that shot.

Whitetails 25 and in, anything not jumpy 40 and in. I worry way more about getting a slight 1/4ing away shot then the distance.

Comment

I'll respond even though he has me ignored. [emoji16]
      I feel the same way. I can be shooting well in camp but in the blind loose all confidence in taking a shot I know I make all day on a target. I've killed three deer but none of them were hit where I shot for. All under 15 yards. So we're the ones I wounded and lost though.
      I have noticed under 10 yards drawing, even concealed in a pop up, is difficult.
      Since Rick's circle target challenge I've gained a lot of confidence target shooting. Even at the Cowtown TBOT shoot I did better than I expected but I'm still worried about shots on game.
      I'm hoping to get to Fairfield as much as possible to get some pig shooting done here in the next few weeks.
      Buff told me if I could get good at picking and hitting a spot on an all black pig I could kill anything. He's only given me good advice so far so I'm going to give it my best shots.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk

Comment

Shooting out of blinds blow, I literally changed my entire shot sequence to get better at it! I would shoot over everything, before!

Comment

Shooting out of blinds, esp with small windows or shoot thru netting, jacks with your depth perception. You need to practice making those shots so that when you are in automatic mode looking at a live critter, you won’t let your mind see something different than what is actually there!

I have always said that confidence is as important as any other factor when you have a live critter in front of you. You need “automatic mode” to operate correctly, and if you are lacking confidence, that is likely to not happen when hunting.

Anytime I let an arrow go at a critter, I KNOW I am going to make a great shot. It does not always turn out that way: sometimes due to my error and sometimes due to the animals craftiness, but I KNOW in my mind when I let go that I am goin to make a great shot!

Hope that jibberish makes some sense!!!!

As far as distance goes, I tend to shoot almost everything under 20yds, with 95% of them being under 15yds. Every once in a while everything just “feels right”, and I will take a shot a bit longer than 20yds.

I have been elk hunting 3 times, but have yet to loose an arrow at an elk. On each of those hunts I was confident I could make a 30yd shot if needed.

A lot of the decision depends on the type critter and individual situation. I have taken and made 25yd shots on critters, and passed on 12yd shots on others because something just did not feel right.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
          Last edited by Bisch; 03-21-2018, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
            Shooting out of blinds, esp with small windows or shoot thru netting, jacks with your depth perception. You need to practice making those shots so that when you are in automatic mode looking at a live critter, you won’t let your mind see something different than what is actually there!
            I have noticed this for sure. If I have not been in the blind for a while something feels a bit off and my confidence wavers a bit. I think you are right that looking through smaller window can change depth perception. I am mulling ideas to build something for the backyard that will resemble that shot without setting up a blind. Maybe just a panel of some kind with a window in it.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
              I have noticed this for sure. If I have not been in the blind for a while something feels a bit off and my confidence wavers a bit. I think you are right that looking through smaller window can change depth perception. I am mulling ideas to build something for the backyard that will resemble that shot without setting up a blind. Maybe just a panel of some kind with a window in it.
              For a guy that doesn't have natural depth perception... being in a blind still throws me off, because my brain still relies on the size of things around me to determine how far away it is. I tend to actually think things are further away than they are when I am in a blind. I'll drop corn and think it looks like it is probably 15 yards away and it turns out to be 10. Yet another reason why I am so dependent on my range finder. I hate that I rely on that thing. The alternative is to pace off objects before getting into the blind. So instead, I range objects from my chair and then have to keep track of where the critter is relative to it.

Comment

Right now 2 yards is too far for me. I'm thinking about using all my bows for firewood!!

Not really but I am in a bad slump. No idea why. I'm sure I'll get past it. I've just been busy, and if my mind isn't clear I shoot like crap. But I wouldn't go hunting today by any means.

Comment

Depends on the feel. Lots of shots feel good right from the start of the draw. When I put my fingers on the string, I gotta feel it. If not, wait till the next opportunity. If that one doesn’t feel right, then the next. Eight yards can feel bad. If so the shot won’t be taken. No matter how much I want animal.

Comment

Originally posted by CRM_95 View Post
                    Right now 2 yards is too far for me. I'm thinking about using all my bows for firewood!!
                    Might as well burn them all. They are all jacked up with the shelf cut on the wrong side of the riser anyway!!!

Bisch

Comment

I’ve posted this before. I saw it from another TBHer a long time ago and the thought has been living in my head ever since.

Put a deer target right in front of your truck.
                      Now walk back and start shooting...you’ll figure out your comfort distance pretty soon.
                      A lot closer that you think.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                        Might as well burn them all. They are all jacked up with the shelf cut on the wrong side of the riser anyway!!!

Bisch
                        Hey, Hey! I like firewood with the shelf on the "wrong side".

Comment

Originally posted by MEsquivel View Post
                          I’ve posted this before. I saw it from another TBHer a long time ago and the thought has been living in my head ever since.

Put a deer target right in front of your truck.
                          Now walk back and start shooting...you’ll figure out your comfort distance pretty soon.
                          A lot closer that you think.
                          I think thats Buff's method.

Comment

Whitetail: 22 yards and under, but that goes down if they are jumpy.

Pigs and Aoudad; I will stretch it out to 30.

Any other "prized" exotics I probably wouldn't try over 25.

For me, my arrow starts to drop just past 22 yards and the animals tend to drop into my arrow so depending on the circumstances I'm not afraid to stretch.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter Todd View Post
                              I think thats Buff's method.
                              I think you’re right.
                              I have so much going on that I forgot who posted that.
                              You cant pass on a tip coming from a hunter of the caliber of Mr Buff.

Comment

Working...
                              X