Trucked by a hog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trucked by a hog

I was on a pig hunt this past weekend in south Texas. Me and my buddies set up quad pods along a fence line that paralleled a road that led to a cattle creep feeder. There were trails coming out of the creek bottom and going under that fence every 20 to 30 yards. I was in the quad that was closest to the feeder. Right after dark we started hearing the pigs coming. Unfortunately all 3 groups came in on trails that were between me and the feeder. I sat there for over 3 hours listening to pigs squealing and fighting over the cattle feed. About 10:15 it got quiet and I could hear pigs moving back towards me. Knowing they had used a trail that was above me and would not likely come my way, I made what I know now was a bad decision. I decided to get down and ease up the road toward the feeder to see if I could intercept some of them before they went under the fence and into the thick head high brush. I walked up the road with my bow light on and to my dismay the road was full of sleeping pigs of every size. I was on the left side of the road and picked out a good size pig that facing my direction on the other side of the road. I closed the distance to about 10 yards and drove a 100 grain Muzzy between the tip of her right ear and her shoulder blade. All hell broke loose and she made straight for me and knocked me to the ground. At impact I felt my left leg snap. Pigs were running in all directions as I lay there in immense pain. I called my buddy that was nearest to me and told him what happened. He rushed up to me and called our other buddy to bring the truck quick. They also called 2 other hunters that were with us who were first responders and they got really quick and cut my snake boot off and put a temporary splint on my leg and called for an ambulance to meet us at the ranch gate. They loaded me in the bed of a pickup for the ride to the highway and the ambulance was there waiting and they took me to the nearest hospital. It broke my tibia bone just above my ankle and the fibula bone just below my knee. I had surgery the next morning and now have a 13 /2” titanium rod running the length of my tibia. Oh, by the way, the pig died in the road about 50 yards past me. She weighed 170#.
    Attached Files

Glad you didn’t get killed, we all make mistakes

Comment

Ouch!!!!

Comment

Yikes!! Scary stuff. Hope you have a quick, complete recovery.

Comment

At least you’ll have a cool story to tell the rest of your life!

Comment

Dang man, that sucks!! Heal up quick for next season! Would be cool to go back and take a pic with the pig and the scars you both have each other, lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Dang That will leave a scar... Hope you get healed fast!

Comment

Was it the fall that broke your leg or was it the impact either way she exacted a little revenge on ya. Heal up fast sounds like you have many more to kill.

Comment

Dang [emoji15]
                  Could have been worse
                  Thank God you are still with us.[emoji1317]
                  Prayers sent for a speedy recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You want forget that hunt if you are married you really want

Comment

Oh that could've been so much more serious. Glad you're okay.

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
                        Was it the fall that broke your leg or was it the impact either way she exacted a little revenge on ya. Heal up fast sounds like you have many more to kill.
                        The impact broke my leg and I felt it snap as soon as she hit me.

Comment

12 weeks in a cast and 15 weeks on crutches....don't ask me how I know.

Comment

Man!!!! Glad you will be ok

Comment

Wow, hope ypu heal quickly.

Comment

Working...
                              X