Real estate/gardening question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Real estate/gardening question

I am planning to sell my house in the next couple of months. For the last 5 years I have been at this house I have built 3 raised beds, with one in the back yard and 2 in the front. I have a regular sized city lot in the Grapevine (DFW) area. I am trying to decide how potential buyers will view this. They are solid framed in untreated cedar and I built them to last. I have built the soil with only organic materials to a depth of about 30”. My neighbors have all enjoyed seeing my crops and I have inspired some of them to start growing some of their own food as well. The real decision is if I should dig them up and take the materials to my new place in the country or plant them out in hopes the right buyer comes along. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Had the exact same thing at our house in Kingwood a couple years ago... My realtor told us to leave the raised beds just like they were. All we did was till 'em up and stick some flowers in them... House sold in less than 48 hours... no apparent negative effect! If they look nice, I'd bet you'd have similar outcomes... But your realtor should have the best pulse on the market where you live...

Comment

I agree. Remove the garden veggies and install pretty, colorful flowers. People want to see something nice, not something that may intimidate them or make them think they will have to work to maintain (ya know picking vegetables is hard work)

Comment

Maybe let em know that removal is an option if they don't like it..?

Comment

Originally posted by Smokeater View Post
          Maybe let em know that removal is an option if they don't like it..?
          That's a pain... removal includes replacement of new sod...

Comment

Leave them and plant what your realtor recommends

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
              That's a pain... removal includes replacement of new sod...
              Yes it is and yes it does, but the OP is already considering removing it so he can use it at his new place. If removing it got the house sold then pain it is. If leaving it helps, then he gets to start with new stuff!

Comment

Thanks for the comments so far. I have no issues moving them at all, just got done turning the soil and had three neighbors stop and ask what was going in this year. One suggested pulling them and the other two were upset to hear the news that they might be going away with me. After 5 years of working the soil it is amazing how much better it has become. I’m still about a 60/40 split in favor of pulling them just so I don’t have to start from scratch.

Also as additional information I am planning to go the for sale by owner route.

Comment

curb appeal is everything to a prospective buyer...first impressions, just make sure it is neat and leave it. Oh, if you respect your realtors ability and experience, listen to them!!

Comment

Working...
                  X