Help me plan a 3 week road trip.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
    The A through C part of that journey is lackluster. I’d drag my C pin down to East Tennessee, then head up through Kentucky. You won’t be missing anything bypassing Indiana. Lol
    I agree if you have not been to this area. Go to Nashville, visit the OLD Ryman , then north through Bowling Green, KY. Visit the only Corvette plant in the world, then stop by the Maker's Mark Distillery on the way and pick me up a couple of bottles. The tour is interesting.

Comment

If you don't mind camping I can set you up on a little, private lake. Probably primitive, but maybe a travel trailer available. Still looking around for a house swap candidate for you. Your proposed route thru MN goes right past it.

Definately go to Itasca State Park to see the headwaters of the Mississippi. The water front area in Duluth is cool - as is all of the North Shore.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
        Got it. Looks good that way. Lots of water which I enjoy.

Where's this exactly, up by Cleveland or Canton?
        South of Canton. I went to the town of Sugarcreek but I’m sure any of them would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by oneeye View Post
          If you don't mind camping I can set you up on a little, private lake. Probably primitive, but maybe a travel trailer available. Still looking around for a house swap candidate for you. Your proposed route thru MN goes right past it.

Definately go to Itasca State Park to see the headwaters of the Mississippi. The water front area in Duluth is cool - as is all of the North Shore.
          Wont be any primitive camping with the wife along.

Looking for someone who knows how to fish MN that can take me around catching as many species as possible. You up for a challenge?

If you don't come here fishing this spring I'll be stopping by beating on your door for more wild rice

Comment

I would drop the G-I route a little South and hit Lake Oahe for fishing and hit the Black Hills of South Dakota and Mt. Rushmore

Comment

I think you'll get to about H and wish it was over. That last 800 mile is probably going to be long.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                I think you'll get to about H and wish it was over. That last 800 mile is probably going to be long.
                We will stay somewhere between H and I

The drive home will be longest.. Utah to central Texas is Blah... I've been that way too many times!

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                  Wont be any primitive camping with the wife along.

Looking for someone who knows how to fish MN that can take me around catching as many species as possible. You up for a challenge?

If you don't come here fishing this spring I'll be stopping by beating on your door for more wild rice
                  I'll see to it that you get some fishing in while you are here. If you show up here next week, you could go ice fishing already! That's something you can't do in Texas!

I'll answer your PM later.

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
                    I would drop the G-I route a little South and hit Lake Oahe for fishing and hit the Black Hills of South Dakota and Mt. Rushmore
                    This may work if I can find a place between G and H to catch a sturgeon.

What will I miss between H and I? anyone?

I'll see to it that you get some fishing in while you are here. If you show up here next week, you could go ice fishing already! That's something you can't do in Texas!

I'll answer your PM later.
                    Explain to me how you fish and what you fish for. Lakes, rivers, species..How far you travel from home etc. I read cast nets are illegal...That will be hard for this river rat

Comment

I tried sending a lengthy PM and it tells me that you are not accepting PM's?

Comment

Originally posted by jb5001 View Post
                        If driving through Michigan, don't miss going to the west side of the state. Sleeping bear sand dunes, pyramid point, Traverse City area, Torch Lake. If you have the extra time I'd drive the coast up and stop in Ludington. July is the Cherry Festival in Traverse so you might want to attend or avoid that.

Visiting Mackinac Island should also be a stop. I would suggest spending the night on the island at a BnB.

In the UP, Tahquamenon Falls is cool but the main must see stop is pictured rocks which it looks like you have on there. Also, the UP is big and there isn't much up there.

I grew up in Northern Michigan and still have all my family there so if you have any questions, I'm happy to help.

There's good opportunities to salmon fish on the west side of the state as well.
                        If you go across the bridge to UP, stop at Lento's in St Ignace (west of bridge) and load up on pasties. I prefer mine with added salt and catsup. Good groceries and a classic UP food item.

Further north in UP, look into getting a charter boat to take you out in Lake Superior to "Standard Rock". Great Lake Trout fishing in unique waters.
                        Last edited by TD2000; 10-25-2020, 07:18 PM.

Comment

I tried sending a lengthy PM and it tells me that you are not accepting PM's?
                          Im guessing that is because he found himself in the cooler.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                            Im guessing that is because he found himself in the cooler.

Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
                            X