In the market for a bow, never bow hunted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1. I am looking for suggestions on companies and models for a guy who's just getting into the sport. I am not looking to break the bank, but do want something that isn't going to be replaced after the first season. Any suggestions would be greatly apprecaited. I am also a lefty.

2. Are used bows a good idea, if so what should I be looking for to determine wear and tear, and quality.

Lots of great bows from lots of manufacturers these days. You can find some good deals on great used bow on here fully rigged and ready to roll. Look at elite, mathews, obsession, ect. You can find a great bow thats a few years old rigged out for around $500 or less sometimes. Mission which is made by mathews makes some great bows with great prices also.

Comment

Used bows are a good idea. Archery talk classifieds have a lot of bows that are in great shape. I’d recommend measuring your wing span finger tip to tip, divide that number by 2.5 and that will give you a number close to what your draw length should be. Find a used bow with a close draw length (+- 1”) that has adjustable draw mods on the bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Go to a bow shop that has lots of brands and shoot different ones. Most bow shops will also have a used section as well. When you find the right one you will know. Different people shoot different bows for a reason. I dont like the Mathews or Hoyt lines simply because I dont like their grip. I like a little small skinny grip like the PSE and Obsession. A lot of guys on here love Mathews. So go and shoot some.

Comment

Good advice on the used bows. I personally have always been a fan of bear archery products. That’s what I started on, and still shoot bear bows to this day. Reasonably priced and will last. A new bear can be had rigged out with basic accessories cheaper than a used bow in many cases

Comment

If your wanting to hunt this year this won't help. Used bows are great bargains right after hunting season and when the new 2021 bows come out. A bunch of guys buy a new bow every year. You will save a 20% or more off the price for a 1-2 year old bow that will last you a long time. I generally wait 3-4 years between new bows and save 50% on one. Shoot several. You will know which one you like best.

Comment

Mathews 100% or Hoyt.

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
                If your wanting to hunt this year this won't help. Used bows are great bargains right after hunting season and when the new 2021 bows come out. A bunch of guys buy a new bow every year. You will save a 20% or more off the price for a 1-2 year old bow that will last you a long time. I generally wait 3-4 years between new bows and save 50% on one. Shoot several. You will know which one you like best.
                This.^^^

Many years ago, when I first got the bow itch, I bought a super cheap PSE Nova from a pawn shop. I think I paid $30. Used it for several months just to get my body used to technique, muscle memory, etc. I knew so little about them that I felt I wanted something as cheap as possible just to get and understanding of the basics. I felt like this was a super cheap way to figure out what all I didn't know. So, if you don't want to break the bank, pick up a pawn shop special and wait for the deals after the season. And if you get an opportunity at an animal - remember those old bows have killed more than their share of trophies. May not be as fast or quiet but they are still deadly. My .02

Comment

Thats some seriously sound advice ^^^. Don't let yourself fall into the brand fan boy nonsense. There are lots of great brands out there. Go check out your local bow shop I'm sure they'll have plenty of bow for you to check out and get a feel for whats best for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
                    Thanks, not looking to bow hunt this year.

Comment

A lot of great USED bows out there that still work excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by LOC4L View Post
                        Thanks, not looking to bow hunt this year.
                        If I get the itch for a used VXR and can find one cheap. I will be selling my Mathews Halon6 32.
                        I will be one of those guys watching the other guys selling their bows to sell my bow.
                        I'll keep ya in mind. I just want to get back to a 28 inch rig.

Comment

buy used and go to a pro shop so they can help you get it dialed in.

Comment

Originally posted by gwellstx View Post
                            This.^^^

Many years ago, when I first got the bow itch, I bought a super cheap PSE Nova from a pawn shop. I think I paid $30. Used it for several months just to get my body used to technique, muscle memory, etc. I knew so little about them that I felt I wanted something as cheap as possible just to get and understanding of the basics. I felt like this was a super cheap way to figure out what all I didn't know. So, if you don't want to break the bank, pick up a pawn shop special and wait for the deals after the season. And if you get an opportunity at an animal - remember those old bows have killed more than their share of trophies. May not be as fast or quiet but they are still deadly. My .02
                            Wisdom in this post. I bought an old solo cam and did same thing. Bought a 3 year old bow a year later, 6 years later that 9 year old bow is still stacking em.

Comment

Well don’t be that guy that came into the shop several times a week to shoot a particular bow. At that time the bow new was 899.99. Well after a month, he shows up with that make and model, saying he got it for a deal on Fleabay. Saved $100 dollars, and now he wanted us to check it out.

Okay, well John your draw is 28” but this one has a 30” cam, so that needs to be changed. Oh, by the way John, these strings and cables are in really bad shape and will to be replaced. Oh, and you want us to put all your stuff in this bow, no problem.

Several hundred dollars later, John had a used bow that he could now shoot, but he wasn’t happy that what he thought was a $799 bow, the new one was $899 remember, now was a $1099 dollar bow.

From my Make Believe World

Comment

Working...
                              X