No announcement yet.

Gut hook type blade preference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can’t go wrong with the first choice. Love my sling blade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve never tried it but I’ve thought about getting one of the Benchmade rescue hooks for that purpose. They seem like they would work well plus you can send them in for free sharpening after season

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
        I have some of those, carpet knives I think I have heard them called. I will have to dig them out and take a look at them.
        They aren't fancy but work great. I usually have one of these and a regular one and can go thru a hog or deer quickly. Don't cost much so if you lose it no big deal. Also easy to change the blades.

Comment

Folks, reason I am asking is... a few weeks ago I shot an axis and decided to quarter it like I would down at LAWNR as a practice run.

With the critter on the ground and having to hold the leg up with one hand and cutting with the other, I figured I would benefit from one of the gut hook design knives for the initial cuts on legs and belly.

Comment

Thats good thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammerdown View Post
              Raptor Razor

X2

Also the ulu style blades are great as well. The one I got came with both.

Comment

Try the Buck version : https://www.buckknives.com/product/4...ook/0499FAM02/

Comment

This is all I've needed for everything for years for me and three boys. All my animals are public land and need to be packed out so get completely broken down in the field. I don't even know how many deer and Antelope are on it. I don't gut anything so the gut hook is used exclusively for unzipping the legs and neck.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by justletmein; 10-06-2020, 09:46 PM.

Comment

I've always used the guthook on my Buck Knife, but last year switched to the Gerber Vital Zip for a guthook. It worked great on whitetails, and it uses standard razor blades that you can buy at any hardware store. I butchered a Nilgai at Laguna Atascosa 3 yrs ago, and I wouldn't hesitate to take it next time I go.

Comment

I use a Buck Crosslok PBS have tried others but for the last 15 years or so it seems to be the best for me

Comment

Gut hook type blade preference

Big fan of the Outdoor Edge Razor Pro or just the Razor and the gut hook knife separately. I’ve switch all my cleaning knives over to replaceable razor knives and love the guthook zipper by the same company. Super handy gut hook and always razor sharp blades for the skinning ..

Last edited by Smart; 10-07-2020, 06:15 AM.

Comment

Academy has a skinning tool that's just a small gut hook for $5. I use it for rough ripping cuts down the back and quarters on pigs. I've got the one Smart put above it works real well too if you need to be more precise.
                          Last edited by jdg13; 10-07-2020, 06:29 AM.

Comment

Can't beat a folding box cutter with a shingle hook blade on it.

Comment

I always carry a gut hook knife for the exact reason you are mentioning. I’ve always used a Gerber fixed blade knife with the gut hook. The handle is a semi soft rubber that will not get slippery when it’s wet. I use other knives for the finesse work.

Comment

Cleaned many a pig with this one. The grip combined with a surgical glove is fantastic for no slip. I have had my problems with that. No mas.

Comment

Working...
                                X