Dog got bit by rattlesnake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by txhunter806 View Post
    Thank you all for the well wishes and advice. I didn't know that about Tylenol. I won't be giving him that anymore. Hope I didn't cause more problems. He seems to be feeling much better this morning.
    Great news!

Comment

Originally posted by TUCO View Post
      Great News!

I bet it was a restless night for all concerned.
      It has been a rough last few days. Not much for seeing my buddy hurt. So far things are looking better.

Comment

I should've done some research on the Tylenol thing before following through with someone else's advise. With my dog being around 110 lbs I'm hoping what I did give him didn't hurt him too bad. It's my understanding that the antibiotics are to fight infection from the wound. If all goes well I think I will be looking into that vaccine and maybe snake avoidance training.

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
          Antibiotics won't do anything for venom... that doesn't make any sense...
          In some cases it's actually the only thing a doctor will prescribe. For example Copperhead bites. In alot of cases the treatment for a Copperhead bite was actually worse than the bite itself due to allergic reactions to it. So antibiotics are the go to treatment for those more so than antivenin. A buddy of mine had the same thing happen after getting a mild bite from a Coral Snake.

Comment

Hey 806,

Did your dog get hit in/around Lubbock or "over yonder"?

Comment

Yikes!

Beer me!

Comment

Glad to hear you dog is improving. Hopefully the dose of tylenol given is below the toxic dose.

For everyone, never give any type of NSAID, whether made for dogs or the human kind, for a snakebite, especially in the first few days afterwards. NSAIDs are not recommended in acute therapy because of their effects on platelet function, which can worsen coagulopathies associated with envenomation. Additionally, they could induce nephropathies in severely affected patients.

Related to antibiotics, they seem to be falling out of favor as well. A recent study showed that the incidence of wound infection in rattlesnake envenomation is low, and that the use of prophylactic antibiotics is not recommended. They should be reserved for wounds with necrosis or abscess and the choice should be based on a culture and sensitivity of the wound. However, a large number of practitioners that I know still use the regardless.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                  Hey 806,

Did your dog get hit in/around Lubbock or "over yonder"?
                  Dickens

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
                    DONT GIVE A DOG MOTRIN/IBUPROFEN! I almost learned the hard way. It turns to poison in them and can be fatal. I believe aspirin is ok. I had a dog get bit by a copperhead on the face and was trying to ease his pain and only found out after the fact that the ibuprofen had a better chance of killing him than the snake bite
                    I've given ibuprofen to dogs many times.....hundreds of times and never lost a dog.

Comment

Originally posted by Sofee View Post
                      Childs Benadryl helped our lab,got bit on paw.
                      ^^^ This...

Comment

Originally posted by drbonner View Post
                        I've given ibuprofen to dogs many times.....hundreds of times and never lost a dog.
                        Doesn't mean it is safe or something that should be done.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Comment

sorry to hear about your dog glad to hear hes doing better, We just moved and decided to get my dog (JRT) the vaccine a week or so ago. We were told the vaccine will need a booster in a couple weeks, but also the shot is manly to buy your dog time til you get to the vet..... if your so inclined, (which I am) he's my boy and I don't wont to lose him.

Comment

Originally posted by mexico70 View Post
                            Had a border collie once that got bit in the face . And man his head swelled as big as a pit bulls . We did do anything to him and a week later he was good to go . He looked pretty funny with that big head and little body .
                            We had a little terrier that got bit once around the head/neck. I thought his caboose was gonna come off the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by agvet2004 View Post
                              Doesn't mean it is safe or something that should be done.

Are you meaning for a snake bite or just in general?

Comment

Originally posted by drbonner View Post
                                Are you meaning for a snake bite or just in general?
                                In general.

Comment

Working...
                                X