No announcement yet.

Travel Trailer Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That axle isn't bent, it's "crowned", and it's supposed to be that way.

Comment

Originally posted by rascalarms View Post
      OMG....WOW...yeah bubba, that's bare bones!!!

I've heard of re-builds but this is on a whole other level !!!!!

Comment

Now this is a project! I'v been thinking about building my own, haven't committed to it yet, maybe your project will help me make up my mind, lol!

Comment

I'm in!

Comment

Watching! This should be fun!

Comment

I'm in on this one, this should be good!

Comment

This is like saying, "I have a 1968 Camaro wheel, so I'm going to build a race car." I'm in!!!!!!!

Comment

Follwing

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                    That axle isn't bent, it's "crowned", and it's supposed to be that way.
                    Mike, you may also hear it refereed to as "cambered". And, as Dale says, it is meant to be that way.
                    Also, like Dale mentioned before, replace those "trailer house" hubs with a "standard" type hub. Can find em at Tractor Supply, Northern Tool, etc. Will make wheels much easier down the road because of the whole pattern of the hub.

Comment

At first I thought rebuild/remodel was tearing stuff out and putting in new! But this will be fun to watch!

Comment

Duly noted on rims. I may do that. Or, i have to at least buy a spare rim. I bought two new rims to get the thing from the last lease back to Cowtown. Maybe i can find a set of used rims. I'll check ou the cost of the hubs, etc.

I spent the better part of the day yesterday measuring and drawing a new layout. I had intended to re-frame with wood framing. I'm concerned about the front end weight. I'm about to reach out to a couple of guys to get an estimate on welding up a frame and roof to put on the thing. That should make it solid and help keep the total weight down. I have no welding skills, so if i go that way, that part will be farmed out. Plans are in motion. I want to make sure i've got it properly planned (big believer in the 7 P's of planning) before i get carried away with the structure, whatever it turns out to be, I don't want to get a nice trailer built that i can't get off the driveway.

There's lot's of good information available here. I plan to learn all i can. Thanks for the input so far. I hope i don't make a fool of myself. We'll see...

Comment

Be careful on weight. You are about to start a major build, so may want to think about an extra axle. Not sure if you can just add one or not to that trailer???

Comment

Following!

Comment

The best place to get parts for a trailer is Redneck Trailer Supply. There is one in South Arlington on Peyco Dr. They are a parts wholesaler but also sell to the public. I used to work there and can tell you they have more trailer parts then you ever knew existed.

Comment

following

Comment

Working...
                                X