Devil’s River Draw Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Devil’s River Draw Hunt

I drew a permit for the January hunt. I did a search and read through several of the posts over the years. For those of you have been:

Assuming I have a choice, which units do you recommend? I have a 4x4 Tacoma and am in good physical condition.

I am really only interested in aoudad. Do you recommend attempting to hunt from above or from below?

Anything you wish you would have done differently?

Anything you wish you would have brought?

Any general recommendations?

All constructive input is appreciated.

I don't have enough posts to pm but send me an email at wwpalasota@yahoo.com and I will discuss.

Comment

Accidental post.....my bad...
      Last edited by Winman; 11-25-2016, 12:44 PM.

Comment

You have the top 2 obstacles covered. 4X4 and good physical shape. I was drawn there 2 years ago and killed 4 aoudad and 2 corsican. Very physically demanding hunt if you want to get back in there. If you want aoudad let the park manager know you only want aoudad and are able to get to them. He usually picks areas for the hunters by looking at there physical fitness and vehicle situation. Some compartments are easy to get to by vehicle and easy to get around in but the biggest aoudad are in the hardest to get and get around terrain. Use your vehicle to get to your compartment and go on foot from there. Get a GPS and download topo and sat maps of your area where you get service. This will help navigating. If you love to hunt hard you will love this hunt.

Comment

BTW I found that even though aoudad spot you, as long as they don't smell you too there comfort zone is between 350-400 yards. If you have a rifle/scope/range finder and ability to make that kind of shot in adverse conditions you will be much more successful. Most of my shots were in the 275-400 yard range. Remember you may be shooting through 30mph crosswind east to slack wind to back draft 15-20 wind in those canyons so shots will be tricky. Even in January watch for rattlesnakes. I didn't find any but another hunter did sunning on the rocks. Good binos are a must and when creeping the ridges take the opposing hillsides in slices moving a few feet toward the edge at a time and glassing the new viewable area thoroughly before moving forward again. My buddy killed a nice aoudad ram at 25 yards since he snuck up to the rim and the aoudad were bedded just under him instead of the opposing hillside. He also had the wind in his face. We were parked in our compartment an hour before first light, made a game plan, parted ways and met each other back at the truck an hour after dark. Take a hydration system in your pack and all essentials as the only person who knows the general area you are in is the park manager. Hunt the wind, hunt hard(all day) and you should be successful.

Comment

Originally posted by wwpalasota View Post
            I don't have enough posts to pm but send me an email at wwpalasota@yahoo.com and I will discuss.

Email sent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

WTJim,

Thanks for the detailed input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X