Broadheads and foc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broadheads and foc.

Ok, here is my arrow set up. 29" (tip of broadhead to end of nock), it balanced at 17" and the total length of the arrow is 29". Using the foc equation.

[(ABP รท TAL) - .50] x100 = FOC. I came up with an foc of 8.62 percent. First does this seem correct?

My broadheads and field pt do not group together. Right now I am sighted in with my broadheads (exodus 100gr and hellrazor 100gr. I am hitting paper plates out to 60 yds consistently. But I would like my field pt and broadheads to shoot the same. Do you guys/gals think increasing my foc would help? What would be the best way. Btw, I could probably add another inch to my arrow as the broadhead is over the shelf at full draw. The bow's timing is good.

Hoyt carbon 34
    67.5 lbs
    29" DL
    Easton Axis 340's

Also, I have an elk hunt in 10 days.

Thanks in advance.

Comment

Your foc cal is good. Most do not use that method. Most use the amo. Method. This does not include the tip. both work. It's just a reference number anyway

Now the question. Will in creasing foc let your field points and broadheads hot together. No. You have a tuning problem. Not a foc problem

There are a few things you need todo. But not if you have 10 days till an hunt. Your a month behind fixing things.

If your grouping. With what you have then go hunt. Have fun. And fix when you get back
      Last edited by enewman; 08-23-2015, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Could my bow be in tune and the arrows with broadheads be the problem?

Comment

You don't need to worry about shooting at 60 yards with Patrick as your guide... he will put them in your lap!
          You did not say what your field points are doing. Are they low high or left right?
          Have you shot thru paper with both heads and points? I would start there and start adjusting your rest to get them both to shoot holes with no rips. I start with the paper at 10 or 15 feet.
          The last adjustment I make if you can not get them both to shoot with no tears, is the weight. Start turning each limb bolt 1/4 turn and see what happens. I would start going down in weight.
          You better hurry...... you only have a few days!

Comment

I would get what you have and go hunt. Don't worry now if field points and broadheads hits same place. To late for that now. Make sure which ever tip your going to use. Make sure you have good arrow flight. Walk back tune. French tune or what method works for you.

I'm a heavy arrow high foc guy. I don't want to influence you to much. Do I think you would be better with around 15% foc. Or more. Yes. But that is after this hunt

Comment

I need to buy some longer arrows anyways. An inch longer shouldn't make much difference right? I feel ok with the exodus heads. They are flying straight.

Comment

[QUOTE=BO-N-ARO;10407663]You don't need to worry about shooting at 60 yards with Patrick as your guide... he will put them in your lap!
                You did not say what your field points are doing. Are they low high or left right?
                Have you shot thru paper with both heads and points? I would start there and start adjusting your rest to get them both to shoot holes with no rips. I start with the paper at 10 or 15 feet.
                The last adjustment I make if you can not get them both to shoot with no tears, is the weight. Start turning each limb bolt 1/4 turn and see what happens. I would start going down in weight.
                You better hurry...... you only have a few days! [/QUOTE

broadheads hit about 3-4 inches to the right of the sighted in field points.

Comment

I went and looked at the spine program. I put in carbon spider 34. 67.5 lb 29 in draw.

I put in 27.5 arrow. Program is carbon to carbon. It shows a 340 spine is weak.

If your going to get a different arrow get a hold of muddyfuzzy. At that draw length and poundage. You need to look at a 300 spine and if your going to add anymore weight up front. You will need a 250 spine. Especially at 29 in arrow

Comment

Try dropping the weight of the bow 1/4 turn at a time.....

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
                      I went and looked at the spine program. I put in carbon spider 34. 67.5 lb 29 in draw.

I put in 27.5 arrow. Program is carbon to carbon. It shows a 340 spine is weak.

If your going to get a different arrow get a hold of muddyfuzzy. At that draw length and poundage. You need to look at a 300 spine and if your going to add anymore weight up front. You will need a 250 spine. Especially at 29 in arrow
                      Interesting, I checked the Easton chart and it shows 340 for a hard cam. What spine program are you using?

Thanks for all the advise. I will probably just leave it alone for now. I had it in my mind that a rage hypodermic would get the job done. But I got cold feet on that last week. So this is why I am scrambling. I am shooting the exodus really tight out to 50. At sixty I can keep in a 8" pie plate. Not happy with that.

Comment

Originally posted by BO-N-ARO View Post
                        I might give this a go.

Comment

Originally posted by BO-N-ARO View Post
                          I might give this a go.

Comment

Working...
                          X